Old 05-03-2010, 12:36 PM   #1  
Goodbye Taco bell

S/C/G: 175/158/135

Height: 5'5"

Default Bored Eater

I have a problem of eating and snacking when Im bored....on top of that it seems like I am always thinking of food wether Im hungry or not... HELP!!!!
Airforcechick07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:37 AM   #2  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Food addiction is a difficult thing! Food is always on our minds... I have found that working the 12 steps really helps me. Have you been to an OA meeting, or looked at the website? www.oa.org
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:51 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 129/108/108

Height: 5'0"

I know where you're coming from. For me it's that kind of eating that I want to address in OA. What is it that makes me turn to food when I'm bored? Is it the anxiety of not knowing what to do with myself? I think it is anxiety based for me. I'm new to the program, so I don't exactly know how to address it. At the moment, I'm trying to observe my patterns of compulsive eating. These observations, I hope, to apply to the program, and change my behavior!
Good luck,
Heather
winsomehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:07 AM   #4  
Goodbye Taco bell

I read into the OA online and I dont really think its for me, I personally dont want to talk about god and having him take control, just not my thing. I think I might just need to pick up a few hobbies with a friend that are scheduled, like kickboxing or something that way it makes me go....then I have hobbies that take up my time and it will also take my mind off things
Old 05-06-2010, 03:23 PM   #5  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforcechick07 View Post
I read into the OA online and I dont really think its for me, I personally dont want to talk about god and having him take control, just not my thing. I think I might just need to pick up a few hobbies with a friend that are scheduled, like kickboxing or something that way it makes me go....then I have hobbies that take up my time and it will also take my mind off things
No need to talk about God....your Higher Power could be many other things other than a God of Your Understanding. Some folks use the program as a Higher Power. There's a whole chapter in the Big Book dedicated to folks that have a hard time with the concept of God.

If you believe you are not a compulsive overeater or food addict, then OA probably isn't for you.
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
I have a problem of eating and snacking when Im bored....on top of that it seems like I am always thinking of food wether Im hungry or not... HELP!!!!
I'm the same way. Watching TV or a movie just doesn't seem complete without a snack lol.

In your case, it seems like you would benefit from finding something not related to food to keep your mind occupied. Computer games, board games, a book, physical activity etc.

I think I read that you are deployed in another post, that can make it a bit more difficult with the limited choice of activities, but it can be done. I was in the military also.
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:34 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 181/175/125

Quote:
I think it definitely takes a while to find a groove in quitting bored snacking. I watch a lot of t.v in the day, and it's really hard not to just mindlessly much on crap when i'm sitting there. But i have found that just chugging a big glass of lemon water, and exercising helps. I have other methods too, like taking a nap, reading browsing the internet, or just doing some activities (online shopping or crafts are my favorite). lol, just basically anything to keep my mind off of delicious cookies.

goodluck!

Last edited by therex; 05-07-2010 at 01:35 AM.
therex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:37 AM   #8  
Goodbye Taco bell

Thanks....yea the TV was a big problem for me, I always felt like munching on something while watching it........I had been resorting to eating sunflower seeds as a way of being able to munch but not eating so much because it takes so long to crack and eat sunflower seeds...I just hate the sodium intake.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:48 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 165/155/140

Height: 5'9"

I am a bored snacker as well. Food oftentimes = entertainment. There's no real easy way around it the urge to nibble, especially like you said, in front of the TV (or for me, a book, or my homework, or the internet). Some ways I cope are:
1) exercising: It boosts my confidence which helps me resist the urge to snack when I'm tempted
2) liquids: Instead of snacking, I sip low or zero calorie drinks instead. It's not as good as snacking, but it fills me up. I try to limit the caffeine though.
3)Vegetables: They're low cal so they don't make me feel guilty if I snack on them.
xooma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:59 PM   #10  

I think about food way too often as well. And it's strange because I can go all day being really good and controlled and the minute I get home I want to eat everything in the world I shouldn't. I'm constantly ordering out and I have a serious addiction to bad foods. It's out of control and I need to figure out a way to gain back some control before it takes over me completely. I joined weight watchers a week and a half ago again but here I am tonight I ordered out again. Part of me just lost hope but part of me knows I can do it if I put my all into it. I just don't know where to find the motivation that I need so desperately
peyton0914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 04:54 AM   #11  
Goodbye Taco bell

I know something that drives me recently is I brokeup with my BF of a year so Im knewly single...and I just turned 21 over here in Afghanistan....my motivation is looking good, when i get back stateside so I can go out in cute clothes and feel confident and attract good looking guys......

I think its all about finding something you really want not just I want to lose weight but really think about why you want to and keep that on the front of your mind...... Some times I will cut out nice looking bodies out of my magizines and tape them to my fridge and cabinets, silly, but every time I go to eat or snack I see it and remind myself of my goals and it gives me a little drive not to eat bad.