WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Old 04-27-2010, 11:48 AM   #1  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

Default My zero point food mistakes...

I just started up again, so thankfully I haven't been making these mistakes for long. I'm scrutinizing my choices and course-correcting after only 1 1/2 weeks back on plan because I've had very little loss. I found a LOT to change! Better now than later, I guess, but I feel a little silly anyway.

Asian pear: according to the database, 0 points, no size specified. But when I plugged in the numbers for a large asian pear (as found on the daily plate) the point value landed on the border of 1-2 points. Counting error of at least 1 point/day.

Sugar-free gum: I've been chewing the stuff day in day out and not counting it at all. Turns out 2 pieces is .5 points. Counting error of at least 2 points/day.

Now, those were my honest mistakes. My not-so-honest mistake? I have low carb pitas that are 0 points for one, Wasa sourdough crispbreads are 0 points for one, and Trader Joe's low calorie wheat bread is 0 points for one slice. Some days when I was hungry I would eat one of each - not at the same time, but still. I think I'm going to have to start choosing one and multiplying the servings over the day as I eat more.

Anyone else have this sort of experience? What else should I be on high alert for?
3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/171/145

Height: 5' 8"

I think you need to switch brands of gum. :-) I chew Eclipse and it's 5 calories for 2 pieces. And as far as your other question -- if you were only eating the slice of bread alone, I'd say you are fine. But if you are eating several together, I do not think you should count that as zero. I would add them all up (calories, fat, fiber) and see what you come out with on the calculator.

Good luck!
VeggiePowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:27 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 182.8/163.2/155

Height: 5'8"

I got an eye opener when I was using the food tracker on e-tools. I also thought several things were less points than they showed up online. Needless to say, I have continued to use the e-tools and have adjusted what I'm eating so I will fit into my points allowance.
mattraces5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:33 PM   #4  

i worry about that too. so in my head i always round up if i'm not sure about something. even though i have my calculator with me, i know sometimes the points can be a bit off.
jesi74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:44 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 193/170/140

Height: 5'5"

I read somewhere that you should not have more than 4 zero point foods in one day. I try and follow that recommendation.
Sheena41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:33 PM   #6  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggiePowered View Post
I think you need to switch brands of gum. :-) I chew Eclipse and it's 5 calories for 2 pieces. And as far as your other question -- if you were only eating the slice of bread alone, I'd say you are fine. But if you are eating several together, I do not think you should count that as zero. I would add them all up (calories, fat, fiber) and see what you come out with on the calculator.

Good luck!
I chew trident which is like 3 calories a piece. But when I search for sugarless gum in the points tracker, .5 is what it tells me! Perhaps I should let that one go.

For the bread items, I always do multiply when I have more than one of the SAME item, but I was sort of skirting that by have one of each (crispbread, mini-pita, light bread) over the course of a day, which may have been slowing me down.

My group leader suggested eating back fewer of my activity points but increasing my zero point foods, and that's been working pretty well according to my scale at home. I weigh in tomorrow afternoon, so we'll see.

That leads me to another question: are your ticker weights your actual weights (in the AM, naked, etc.) or your official WW weights? I go to 5:30 PM meetings so there's a difference of about 3-4 lbs.

Last edited by 3Beans; 06-02-2010 at 03:34 PM.
3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:10 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 192/145.6/145

Height: 5'6"

For the gum, I would go by what the package says, not the generic listing on etools. Otherwise, my hubby would be in a heap of trouble, too, as he chews gum all day!

My ticker weights are for my actual WW weigh ins...still have to go and get my activated on here, though!
ffwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:13 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Beans View Post
I chew trident which is like 3 calories a piece. But when I search for sugarless gum in the points tracker, .5 is what it tells me! Perhaps I should let that one go.
By my math, it should have read .05 not .5

As I remember from my tracker and WW math (I'm not currently on WW) the lowest calories you can get for one point is like 30 to 35 calories (and that's only if the item is pure fat with no fiber). Chewing gum has no fat, and no fiber, so it should come to about 60 calories per point. (and 3 calories would be .05 of 60 calories).

Last edited by kaplods; 06-06-2010 at 04:19 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:33 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 285/248/150

Height: 5'4"ish

I get really varied results with ANYthing when I looked it up on the points tracker database vs putting in the nutritional info of i had it or vs putting in nutritional info i found online.

Today's WTF moment: I made mushroom risotto. When we did the recipe builder the 1st time, we put in 1 cup of uncooked rice, which is what I had. This time, it was just a scootch under 1 cup, so instead I weighed it in grams on my good kitchen scale. Changed the 1 cup to 144 grams on the tracker....and it went from 12 points for 1 uncooked cup, to 9.5 points for 144 grams uncooked. Given the small amount of grains it would have taken to fill it up to an even cup, I find it VERY hard to believe that miniscule amount equaled 2.5 points.

Honestly, some days I wonder if I really screwed up badly on the calculations because we looked some things up.
Lilly221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:30 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 329.2/263/160

My leader says to always base points on the actual label instead of what etools uses. I normally add it to the database if it is different.

Also, one of the ww weekly books says limit yourself to five zero foods a day. I also think that depends on what it is.... no one got to weight watchers for eating too many grapes
Sittingrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:55 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 260/246/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Progresso soups

A Reminder to watch the serving size, and refigure pts if needed. "0" pts soups are for 1/2 can. If you eat the whole can, it's 2 pts. The "1 pt" can I just checked was for 3 pts if you eat the whole can. My leader pointed that out when I attended meetings a couple of yrs ago.
Donna
dforrest60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:00 PM   #12  
long journey

S/C/G: 222/197/155

Height: 5' 7''

I was always told to go by the package information to figure out points values. All the books/list are an average, and that every product / brand/ manufacturer may vary. Its amazing the difference between what the list says and what the label says. Sometimes good news (less points) many times not so good ( more points). In the end best to check, that way you don't get suprised when you do weigh in.
ifatfirstwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:01 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 243/186.5/160

Height: 5'8

I don't track my gum, I figure i've got bigger fish to fry.
I thought you always had to round up your points, that you could not count .5 points. For example yogurt: If I eat one, I count it as 1 point, even though when I calculate it, the results are .5
toughchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:02 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 243/186.5/160

Height: 5'8

Oh yeah and all my posted weights are first thing in morning in my birthday suit. (I am following ww, but do not attend meetings)
toughchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:20 PM   #15  
going somewhere....

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/125

Height: 5'2

Default Ok Gum question....

Wouldn't the points only count if you swallow the gum???

Just a thought, Chewing it does nothing to your body like having to burn calories to digest it.

So gum - I say is FREE unless you swallow.
ready4skinny is offline   Reply With Quote