General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-28-2010, 10:04 AM   #1  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Angry Parents FORCED To Move Over Happy Meals

Mommy I want my toy...I want my toy now!

California County bans toys from Happy Meal packs...

Not sure the kids are gonna go for this one

I can see a lot of families moving out of that county already....what parent needs that kind of pressure?

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010...ls-to-cut-fat/
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:23 AM   #2  
Workin' It

Interesting.

I've worked in fast food for a long time, I am currently working for a restaurant chain that doesn't give out toys or sell kids meals. I worked for Burger King for a long time - the toys were always a big thing with the kids, and with the parents. I would watch kids have temper tantrums if the toy in the bag was one they already had, or one that they didn't want. The food was totally secondary, but they were definitely eating. I also often saw the toy as a bribe to get the kids to sit quietly, to eat their meal, etc. So, bad on both sides.

The whole concept of the "Big Kids Meal" was frightening - a double burger or double cheeseburger, 6 or 8 nuggets instead of 4, larger drinks, and a toy.

The kids are going to go nuts. And, the parents that use the toy as a tool are, too.

I don't know that it will actually help with the eating habits, though. My stepson will still ask for nuggets and fries even if no toy is involved because of the food itself.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 04-28-2010 at 10:23 AM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:50 AM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Personally I don't think it's going to help. So what now? The kid is STILL most likely going to get the happy meal- but now be disapointed that there is no toy. OR they'll skip the toy altogether and get a larger meal cuz they have no toy to focus on.

I recently found out that my friend's neice (who is THREE) can eat a whole ten piece chicken nugget MEAL by herself! That poor child is going to have a heart attack by the age of ten- her mother is severly obese as well.

ETA- maybe instead they should focus on making the meals less than 500 calories- by making nuggets smaller or cooking the foods in a different fashion.

Last edited by beerab; 04-28-2010 at 11:52 AM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:51 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I can understand why but not sure an ordinance is the right way to go. When I was young, we never went to fast food restaurants and I certainly never got toys as part of my meal.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:59 PM   #5  
Workin' It

Burger King is actually working on making their Kid's Meals lower in calories and fat, they just put out an article on one of the restaurant trade magazines about it. I'll see if I can find some details and post.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 225/183/155

Height: 5'7"

I always buy my daughter the toy without the meal.
lights76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:06 PM   #7  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Happy meals were invented after my childhood, but I do vividly remember always picking out my cereal by what toy would be inside. Do they put toys in kid cereal these days?
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:10 PM   #8  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

I haven't found toys in my cereal boxes for years I don't know when they made the big "choking hazard change" but it still bums me out today!
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:13 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

so silly. If a parent takes their kid to McD or Burger King too often, the happy meal toy isn't the issue, it's the parental judgement.

And I say that as someone who does take my son from time to time. He's a very active child with no excess weight issues (the opposite, actually, sometimes, he's clinically underweight depending on where he is in a growth spurt) and I'm a fan of the concept of moderation. By his own choice, he eats a hamburger happy meal, although he doesn't eat the bun, and with apple dippers instead of fries. Maybe a little higher in salt than something I'd make at home but otherwise, I'm perfectly fine with his meal there. But of course, it's a once a month or so treat, not a daily or even weekly occurrence!
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:19 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 184/129/130

Height: 5'4.5"

It wouldn't affect my kids any. I rarely get the kids happy meals anyways. My kids only eat cheeseburgers, that's all we get them if we go to a burger joint. They're thin and eat healthy at home so one burger every other week is fine.
Depending on the toys, we will buy them separately.
mom4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:30 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 365/270.4/265

Height: 5 foot 2

ok, maybe as a parent I was just a radical liberal. when we took our kids out to eat I had a seperate "purse" full of stuff for them to do at any restaurant we were at. It had crayons, coloring books, tic-tac-toe, hangman, go-fish cards etc. My kids preferred those over a piece of useless plastic, which was usually used to promote a movie.
sweetcakes736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:36 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 257/250/112

Height: 5'4.5

to be honest i think its a good thing, kids don't need that kinda crap in their bodies it just encourages unhealthy life styles tbh
candy love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:31 PM   #13  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Yes but do you think a kid only goes to these places just for the toy? I mean you can buy the toys seperately anyways- my parents did that all the time! The stores aren't going to refuse the customer's the toys if they ask to purchase them.

Last edited by beerab; 04-28-2010 at 04:33 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:33 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 195/see ticker/125

Height: 4'11

Thats great. one less reason for parents to give their children crap. maybe if we stop feeding our children junk like happy meals they will no longer be destined to be the first generation EVER to have a shorter life expectancy then their parents.
freeqeegrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:46 PM   #15  
Transforming through God

On the rare occasion, my daughter will get the BK mac&cheese (not healthy but at least a healthy-sized portion), apple slices, and 100% juice (we do primarily water in the home but again, this is a very rare occasion with the juice). She is a healthy weight and receives this 'meal' about once every 3-4 months at best.

I think if someone is feeding their child happy meals on a regular basis, they've got bigger issues than the toy. I mean, it isn't about the toy. It is about parents who choose a lifestyle for their children (as opposed to a rare meal). It's about perpetuating an unhealthy lifestyle.
MyBestYear is offline   Reply With Quote