Old 04-25-2010, 07:38 PM   #1  

Height: 5'5"

Default Question about Low Carbing?? Fruit Allowed?

okay...so i've done the South Beach Phase One in the past...had GREAT success with it...but i have never been able to make it through phase one again without falling. so i thought maybe i would just "low carb" it instead of "no carb"-ing it. no breads, pastas, cereal (i will stick to my whole oatmeal tho)...cut out the candy and sugar. my question is...is fruit acceptable to eat? i love love love my fruit!! that is one thing that i HATE to give up. i mean, if i have to i have to, but i'd rather not if possible. any thoughts?? are there maybe fruits that are okay and others i should stay away from completely?
shoeluver67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:57 PM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

I'm confused, you mentioned having done SB Phase 1 in the past and now wanting to try low carb instead of no carb SB is not no carb (nor is Atkins).
As for fruit, its not permitted on Phase 1 of SB or the Induction phase of Atkins...but...the good news is, it is slowly incorporated back into both plans. Berries (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries) & melon (cantaloupe, honeydew) are best to begin with and later, when you are closer to goal, you could add apples, plums, kiwis, peaches, tangerines, grapefruit & watermelon.
I'd be careful of the oatmeal too since its a grain, portions should be small.
All the best to you!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:20 AM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Unless you have some training/education in nutrition, I'd be somewhat hesitant to recommend "winging it." There are too many ways that low-carb can be done wrong (and some of them can even be dangerous - such as combining very low carb, very low calorie, and very low fat in the same diet).

I'd strongly recommend The Low-Carb Bible by Elizabeth Ward. It reviews, compares and summarizes the top low-carb plans (it's out of print but you should be able to get it from amazon or your library).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:46 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Agree with both the above posts! Read, read, read ...

It'd probably be very valuable to you to enter your foods into a calculator site (like fitday.com) for a few days and see where you're at. That'll make it easy to see how you can lower your carbs.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:06 AM   #5  

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for the advice ladies! i'm going to hit the internet today running! :-)
shoeluver67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:45 AM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I keep recommending The Low-Carb Bible (and have checked it out from the library repeatedly). I finally broke down and bought it (for a penny on amazon - $4.00 with shipping and handling).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:00 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 165.6/158.4/130

Height: 5'7"

I'm doing something similar to you. Essentially I cut out all breads, pastas, and grains. Except for my one serving of oatmeal for breakfast. All my other carbs are fruit or veggies and I have one or the other with each meal. 4 x's per day. So with meal #2 I have banana. Meal # 3 is a berry smoothies with protein powder. Meal #4 I have edamame (veggie + protein is a win-win) Meal #5 I have steamed asaparagus or steamed mixed veggies.

*I should note that I am still calorie counting. I just have have done this to adjust my nutrition balance.

Last edited by crcossel; 04-26-2010 at 12:01 PM.
crcossel is offline   Reply With Quote