Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-21-2010, 05:55 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Default Leonard Cohen and . . .?

Since we've been having a discussion of various singers in the weekly chat thread I was just curious what acts/singers/music you all like and would go see in concert.

I'm in kind of a country/folk phase at the moment (10 years ago I would never, ever have listened to any of these people). I was a rocker for many, many years but am finding now I'm liking slightly softer stuff. I do still pull out the Stones, U2, and I recently went to see Cheap Trick (as a blast from my past).

I really like Lyle Lovett, Lucinda Williams, and Roseanne Cash. I'm also listening to Kris Kristofferson, Duffy, and Jack White in his various incarnations. And there's Tom Waits.

I'm also rediscovering Motown, blues and soul. I like Bettye Lavette, Howlin' Wolf, and Michael McDonald's "white boy" versions of Motown's classics.

How about everyone else?

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:02 AM   #2  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Hmm, well, I don't really go to concerts much other than the symphony (I've only been to two -- the Killers and VAMPS). But I can definitely tell you who my favorite bands/singers are!

My favorite band of all time is L'Arc~en~Ciel -- a Japanese rock band. I love love love them. You can look them up on YouTube if you're curious.

As for more mainstream music, I just bought Owl City's album (the guy who sings the 10 million fireflies song?), which I love. I recently was introduced to a band called Elefant which I like a lot. I am also a huge fan of Muse (and I would totally go see them in concert if they came here!). Oh wait, I just looked at their tour dates and they are playing in November in Cincinnati -- that's only 2.5 hours away and my SIL lives there! Hmmm . . .

My music collection tends to the eclectic, with everything from Carrie Underwood to Ludacris. I usually have one or two songs from each of about a bazillion artists. If I hear something I like on the radio I will download it, but I don't usually buy whole albums. Probably the artists I have the most music by on my iPod other than the ones I mentioned above are Queen, Bon Jovi, some other Japanese bands, U2, and The Smashing Pumpkins (who I was really into in high school, but almost never listen to now).

Dagmar, you will laugh because you mentioned them on the chat thread, but I even have an album by the Partridge Family on my iPod! I used to watch the show in reruns when I was a kid. Come on, get happy!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:38 PM   #3  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Didn't Leonard Cohen write "Hallelujiah" - that kd lang sang for the opening ceremonies of the Olympics? I liked that so much I bought the song, and then the Hymns of the 49th Parallel album!

I like a big range of music - classical to blues to really hard rock and even metal, and fusion types like Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Crowning moment was my mom getting me 9th row center seats to Il Divo when they were in town - heaven!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 210/150/150/140

Height: 5'9"

Leonard Cohen - one of my all time favorites. Yes, he wrote Hallelujah, listen to the remake Justin Timberlake did recently. Absolutely gorgeous. "Waiting for the miracle" is another of my favorites.

I had the pleasure to see Kris Kristofferson in concert years ago. I was in high school, and my mother and I went to see him. Still love him to this day.

I have Roger Whittaker on my ipod...along with Snoop Dogg, John Denver, Disturbed...I love all types of music, and depending on my mood, it might be Korn, or it might be BJ Thomas. Glenn Campbell, "Gentle on my mind", has been my favorite of sorts lately though.
Suzyszoo is offline   Reply With Quote