Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-20-2010, 08:27 PM   #1  
Endeavor to Persevere

S/C/G: 386/see ticker/200

Height: 5'7"

Default Please tell me they go away!!!!

I don't know if it's the way I'm built or what but my "cankles" are really starting to irritate me! I'm still very obese and I am hoping that as I lose the weight they will disappear! Maybe I am just overreacting but it really bothers me. I can't wear cute shoes or anything and I have somewhat of a small foot or at least it looks that way compared to my legs and cankles

Just had to vent for a minute thanks for reading!! I know it takes time and I guess I will have to deal with them until I lose some more weight!!
thinmintintraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:44 PM   #2  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

They probably will go away...I never had them...but the women in my family seem to develop them around the 300lb mark...Maybe they will go away when you get into the 200's? Keep on keepin' on!
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:46 PM   #3  
Endeavor to Persevere

Thanks Mescel!! I want rid of them so I will certainly keep on
Old 04-20-2010, 09:13 PM   #4  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

did you have them when you were younger/thinner? my sister is thin but has just always sorta had that, her ankles dont really narrow. either way im sure the weight loss wont hurt!!
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:14 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 200/?/155 High:254

Height: 5'5"

Even when I was thinner growing up I didn't have that nice defined ankle, it's something that has ALWAYS bothered me! However when I was at my highest weight they were definitely worse, so yes, they'll get better but depending on simply how you're built they may not go away entirely.
Bombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:20 PM   #6  
I can, I will, I do

S/C/G: Goal: 130

Height: 5'6"

I agree with Bombe, I haven't had a well defined ankle since very early childhood. I still have cankles.. but when I was lower in weight I had a little bit of definition. My mom weighs more than I do and she's always had nice ankles. I have no idea if it's just a body type thing or what, either way.. keep going girl
Avezy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:20 AM   #7  
Transforming through God

What if someone told you they wouldn't go away? Would you still continue on your plan or would you quit? I pray for your sake they do, if it would help your feel better about yourself.

But, like me and my loose skin fear, you have to just accept that they *may* not go away -- and soldier on anyway, telling yourself 'slim and healthy with cankles is better than obese and unhealthy...with cankles" lol

I am certainly not trying to be harsh in any way, I hope they go away and some or all of it might with weight loss, but on the chance they don't... you've got to just keep on keeping on.

Good luck and God bless
MyBestYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:35 AM   #8  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

I wouldn't say I ever had cankles, but I do have thick ankles. I call them sturdy, haha. But even though I've had thick ankles all my life, they have gotten noticably more defined.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:42 AM   #9  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Hi there.

You will lose weight in your feet and ankles eventually! If you drop another 100-200 pounds I PROMISE you that your feet and ankles will be smaller! They might always be bigger than you like, but they WILL be smaller than they are if you continue with your weight loss.

At 333 pounds I was wearing a size 11 extra wide shoe, and it was very hard to find anything at that. I wore mostly slip-ons and mules. NOW, I wear a 9.5 medium width and loving every minute of it. Matter of fact in the last 3 weeks I've bought 5 new pair of shoes, (and not cheap-o's, but NICE shoes/sandals). My feet and ankles were the first place I noticed weight loss, (besides my face).

Now, my calves were the last to go, and I think it is because I had developed some serious muscles holding up all that weight. My poor legs lifted 200 extra pounds daily.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:37 AM   #10  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Lol, I thought my family were the only ones that used the term cankles.

Anyway, my MIL has them, BAD. But she's always been somewhat overweight, so I don't know if they would be littler if she were skinny.

But I bet you could get liposuction on them. Folks get booby lifts, eyes done, arm wings removed, why not your "cankles?"
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:45 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 201/ticker/125

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBestYear View Post
But, like me and my loose skin fear, you have to just accept that they *may* not go away -- and soldier on anyway, telling yourself 'slim and healthy with cankles is better than obese and unhealthy...with cankles"
Too funny, too true.

I've never had cankles either, but I can relate to the worry that you won't look "right" after losing weight. And this is what I always remind myself: I'm doing this so I can be healthy, so I can live to an old age. Looking better is definitely a plus and maybe a more immediate desire, but not for the long run. Infact, I think the reason I'm actually losing weight this time is because I finally got serious about not being over 200lbs when I get pregnant for the first time. NOT because I really want to be a size 6.

Personally, I think the cankle problem will definitely get better. And you can always use the hope that it will as motivation. But if it doesn't get better, hopefully you will love the "new you" enough that you won't care!

Last edited by Gold32; 04-21-2010 at 11:46 AM. Reason: typo
Gold32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:40 PM   #12  
Endeavor to Persevere

julia - i have pretty much always had them but then again, I have always been overweight since childhood!

MBY - I would be a little sad if I was told that but I am certainly not gonna quit now. I'm sure I can live with them! I have for this long

It's just irritating sometimes because I would like to wear cute little shoes but alas...! I weighed today and am down another 4.5 lbs so I'm excited!! I don't think that I have gotten this far before. Maybe here and there it added up. Anyway, thanks for the advice and encouragement!! You guys are great!
Old 04-21-2010, 05:50 PM   #13  
Bella Signora ♥

Height: 5'4.5''

Congrats on losing almost 30 lbs!
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:54 PM   #14  
Endeavor to Persevere

Thanks jema!! I was shocked and excited!! Curves and DDR are awesome!!
Old 04-22-2010, 05:35 PM   #15  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

yes hon if you've always had them then it might just be a flaw you have to live with. even when i was super thin i had a lot of extra arm chub. everyone has something theyre not happy about no matter how they look. we just have to learn to embrace it!
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote