Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-19-2010, 05:50 AM   #1  
Meg

Default Maintainers Chat: Week Of April 19 - 25

Good morning!

And congratulations to all of us for another week of maintenance. Sometimes I forget that we're RE-writing the statistics on successful weight loss maintenance!

How was your weekend? Ours was quiet except for a nasty thunderstorm that brought down two huge tree branches in our front yard. They fell across our neighbor's driveway and fortunately, there weren't any cars parked there when they fell. DS called a few friends and one came over with a chain saw, so we cleared the driveway. Great workout! The rest of the mess is still in our yard so I have to make some phone calls today to get it taken care of. Sadly, the whole tree is going to have to come down since it's half gone. We planted it twenty years ago and I took first day of school pictures for both kids in front of it, so it grew as the kids grew.

I'm off to stock up on groceries this morning and do some cooking for the freezer. The gym will be first, as soon as I finish this mug of coffee! Yesterday I discovered that Leonard Cohen is NOT good cardio music!

Let's have a great, on-plan week of maintenance!!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:10 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up

Good morning, Meg, thanks for getting this thread started each week.

LOL at Leonard Cohen for cardio; I think of him as a great way to stay in a funk when you get into one. I love his music and am mesmerized by his voice - but just don't think of him as upbeat.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:15 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Talking Good morning all!

Leonard Cohen for cardio - I like him to sulk to - similar to what Bill said. Could have used him this past month for that

I am going to be a biking maniac this week. The next four days are forecast to be clear, sunny, and cool - perfect kind of weather for biking.

I am finally climbing out of the rut I've worn for myself this winter. I feel kinda like a bud that's about to burst into bloom. Spring -

Have a fantastic week all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:30 AM   #4  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

Good morning! That's sad about the tree, Meg.

I am going to the gym to start stage 7 of NRLW. Should be interesting since I am still hobbling from yesterday's run. Hmmm ...

Also week two of bathroom re-do. I hope he can finish it up and get out of our hair.
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:34 AM   #5  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Good morning everyone!

MEGAN! Where are you? How was the bench press competition???

I did make it through my 5k run Saturday with a time of 38:01. A little over two minutes slower than I ran two weeks ago (although the 35:57 was a PR) but pretty good for still being kind of sick. I think I overdid it though since I had a little bit of an illness relapse yesterday.

Meg, that sucks about the tree. Can you plant a new tree there to make new memories with?

Hi Bill!

Ward, good luck with stage 7!

Dagmar, have fun biking! I got out on my bike for the first time in a while yesterday. I rode through some country roads near our house and got to see some beautiful lilacs blooming. That has to be the best thing about biking -- I'm going slow enough to appreciate the scenery, yet fast enough to appreciate it. I never notice scenery when I'm running because I'm too focused on just the next step in front of me.

Overall I had a great weekend aside from still being sick. Race for the Cure Saturday morning, nice walk with the dog Saturday afternoon, Dvorak's 9th at the symphony Saturday evening (SO GOOD), then I slept in Sunday, had a nice bike ride, and made lasagna for dinner. Mmmm.

Today is my fur-baby's "birthday"! It's the second anniversary of when we adopted him, so he's approximately six years old now. I can't imagine life without my Carterbug!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:37 AM   #6  
slow and steady

Oh yeah, and Gary, thanks for the link last week! I think it is hilarious that 4 of the top 10 are Claremont colleges (Claremont McKenna, Pomona, HMC, and Scripps -- we're all across the street from each other. I guess Pitzer wasn't as happy for some reason? It came in at 22). I guess it's that 73% of sunny days that does it. Although they must have improved the cafeteria food since I went there in order to get an "A" for that!
Old 04-19-2010, 11:34 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Good Monday everyone!

Meg-- that is sad about the tree. You will still have the photos and the memories though.

Bill, Meg and Dagmar-- I've never heard of Leonard Cohen. What kind of music? Perhaps he's related to my late Grandpa, Louis Cohen?!?!

Dagmar-- Hooray for Spring weather, bike rides, and getting out of your winter funk!

Ward-- good luck on the bathroom redo being over quickly! I hate the inconvenience of workers and all of their mess.

Jessica-- Wow! You had a busy and healthy weekend!! A 5K, bike ride, dog walk, the symphony-- excellent! And Happy Birthday to Carter!

I sent the list of "Happy Colleges" to my dd that is starting to think about colleges (10th grader). I didn't see my older dd's college on there (Gonzaga)-- probably due to the bad weather!

Great weekend overall for me. Dh's trip got cancelled due to the volcano over Europe so he is home instead of gone for 2 weeks. Good and bad because it is easier for me to eat healthy/exercise when he's gone, but it is nice to have him home! My weight is all over the place after my cruise still but it was down this morning so I'm going to try to stay focused!! Dh and I stepped up the exercise yesterday so that probably helped. I had been doing 45 minutes on the elliptical when I didn't do classes at the gym, but yesterday I did 55 minutes, plus dh and I walked to and from the gym for another 30 minutes. Beautiful weather here though it is supposed to rain and get cold later this week. I worked Saturday and Sunday so I don't feel too rested today! I have been working many Saturdays and all Sundays so I'm getting a little t-i-r-e-d.... school will be over soon so I'll have less work then. Gotta get to work as all of the kiddos are appearing and returning their library books-- I'm drowning in books.....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:57 AM   #8  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs down So long, Marianne

Michele - if you are in a good mood, Leonard Cohen can bring you down. If you are already down, he can tip you over the edge. Drone, dronety, drone, drone. You are obviously too young to have met him the first time round (gather he's popular again - how? Why?). Or you're not Canadian - I think he is.

Am I being unfair?? Meg, do you really like him? Am I missing something?

/Rant over

And another thing!

Just joking. Rant really over. And out.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:59 AM   #9  
in development

Well, you got me going there!
Old 04-19-2010, 12:01 PM   #10  
Lifelong Journey Member

Pat, my sister gets her wheat berries from her local coop. I’m thinking natural food sections of stores might have it as well. My sister told me the berries stay good “forever” as long as they aren’t cracked and not bugs get in them. I learned that the KA mill I ordered is backordered and I ordered on that was rated better from here. I called them this morning and it is not backordered and will be sent. I’m just so amazed how good the stuff tastes. Yesterday I made Whole Wheat choc chip cookies and a different bread using my bread machine. I make my own pasta and plan to try making WW pasta as well.

Shannon, making your own Greek yogurt? That would be cool. Do you know the process?

Sznn, I hope your ankle heals quickly. I bet the roll wasn’t as bad as it would have been before because of your exercise. I’m amazed at how much more limber my joints (ligaments/tendons) are since exercising. I bet recovery for you will be quick.

Rabbit, do you take your allergy meds in the morning or evening. I take allegra and only in the evening. Allergy meds knock me out.

Meg, that’s a bummer about the tree. At least you were able to see the positive that no property damage was done or that no one was injured.

Bill, music as a way to stay in a funk when in one. I’ve never thought about that. I’ve been melancholy for a few weeks and I think I’ll take your thoughts and find some upbeat music to concentrate on for a while.

Dagmar, have a great week biking. I want your forecast. Snow is predicted again. I’m thinking the weather is a big part of my melancholy.

Ward, 2 weeks of a bathroom remodel sounds like torture. I hope he finishes up quickly. What’s NRLW?

Jessica, congrats on doing the race even while sick. You’re awesome. Your weekend sounds wonderful despite the illness. Happy b-day to Carter. I use Sasha’s adoption day as her b-day as well. So give Carter a kiss from Sasha.

Michele, I know what you mean that it’s easier to stay on track when DHs are gone. But truly, it’s just so much better to have them at home. I’m glad you both had fun with the exercising.

Silver, I was actually going to google Leonard Cohen but your description sounds just too awful to hear.

I’m bummed it is Monday. I just so adore weekends. I need to buy a winning powerball ticket. I guess I need to buy one for that to be even remotely possible. I think my perfect world would be four day workweeks. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. I love a midweek break. I got my sails back on the elliptical today. In the same time and program, I went .13 miles farther than Saturday. It’s amazing what a difference a different day makes.
Marie

Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:12 PM   #11  
slow and steady

To celebrate Carter's birthday, here are a few pictures of my beloved doggie!

Old 04-19-2010, 01:03 PM   #12  
Workin' It

Good morning! Good weekend exercise wise, not so great on food, but I planned for it so I'm not worried. Great on food all last week, so a free meal was worth it. DH tweaked his back a little on yard work, he might just have a weak spot there forever after his injuries last year. Went to see "Date Night" with some friends Saturday night. Funny.

Marie - I downloaded the directions for the Greek Yogurt and saved them somewhere. I'll see if I can find them in the big backup folder that I now have. And yes, have to buy a ticket to win.

Jessica - good job on the 5k, to bad you relapsed after. Cool pics of Carter!

Rabbit - psuedephedrine drugs keep me awake, I can't take them at night or I get no sleep at all. Like last night, for example. I take Zyrtec & Flonase in the morning, but sometimes need a little boost.

Susan - how is the ankle doing?

Meg - I wouldn't describe Leonerd Cohen as exercise inspiring, either...

Michele - glad DH got to stay home! And that you had a good weekend! I bet you are getting pretty worn out, you have been working a lot lately.

Ward - hope the bathroom gets finished soon. Did you injure yourself on the run or just sore?

Dagmar - come on up out of the rut. Get on the bike and ride!

Birch - I'm getting the sense that you don't like Leonard Cohen...

Good day everyone!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:26 PM   #13  
in development

You know, Shannon, my memory gets a bit hit and miss back into the mists of time but I think Leonard and I have got History. Probably involves my first BF from the late 60s. We're still friends - I'll email him.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:40 PM   #14  
Chuggin' along...

Hi all,

Busy weekend here! Oklahoma! went really well. We had no major back/onstage snafoos, good audience numbers and really positive comments from the audiences. Despite my worrying it wouldn't come together, it did, and we all had a lot of fun doing it. Somehow it always comes together in the end. I also went to a baby shower brunch Sunday morning and got lots of ideas for cute girl things to get for my niece too!

My benchpress tournament was ok. If you care for the details, read on, if not, skip this paragraph! I didn't do as well as I would have liked to/ have done in training at the gym. I had 3 tries. I opened with 105#, which I pushed but didn't feel great (I didn't feel warmed up, and the weights were feeling heavy to me Saturday). Next I did 115#, but though I pressed it the press was disqualified b/c I sort of paused (not on purpose!) on the way up, and apparently I lowered and re-upped the bar during my pause. I didn't think I lowered it, but who knows... next time I tried 120# and didn't get it. So the official weight was my first press of 105#. I was the only woman in my age/weight class, though, so I got first place for my class. I was disappointed b/c just last weekend I pressed 125# at the gym, which is my PR. At last year's tournament my official weight pressed was also 105#, though at the time the most I could do in training was around 110-115#. I'm not sure if I just had an off day, was thrown off by an unusual sleep schedule (I slept almost 8 hours but went to bed much later than normal b/c of the play, which I'd been doing all week) but I also suspect I didn't warm up enough. The warm-up area includes 2 benches for all the lifters, and it is usually me and my training partner Kathy competing with about 35 big burly guys for space. They are nice but you can tell they want the women lifting the wimpy weights to get out of the way so they can load the 45# plates onto the barbells. Sooo... overall a bit discouraging, but I couldn't let myself get too upset b/c I still had to go perform on stage for 3 hours that night.

The rest of the team from my gym did really well, though. Kathy, my training partner, is 63 and there are no records at all in the Southeast Powerlifting Federation for a woman her age, so she set a record at 105#. A bunch of the younger guys who just started training this year did really well, and my trainer, Tim, also got a regional record...maybe a world record?

Like last year, I'm debating if I should do it again. I don't really care about the competition itself, don't care for the competition entry fee, but I do like having the comradery of having training partner at the gym and people expecting me to show up. And I did get really excited when I first pressed 125#! Of course maybe I would like the competition more if I felt like I could do better! I do have quite a while to think about it... The only other athletic competitions of any sort around here are 5K's (which I've done) and this BP tournament. I seem to do better when I've got someone else pushing me to train and people to train with, so I wish there was more in this area! I think I'm going to focus on cardio and running in particular right now... maybe think about that in a week or two after I've had some time to relax.

Jessica, great job on your race! I'm so glad that you did it even if you weren't feeling your best. And happy birthday to Carter too!

Marie, I think no matter how carefully we plan our workouts, fuel our bodies, etc. etc. we all have on and off days. Glad you had a good workout!

Silver, I'm confused. You're saying you LOVE Leonard Cohen? The name sounds familiar to me but I can't say if I've ever heard any of his music. Michele, maybe he's related to my second grade teacher, Jane Cohen?

Michele, isn't it a good thing the kids are returning their books? At least you get to spend more time w/ DH!

Ward, gl w/ stage 7!

Meg, sorry about the tree. This hasn't been a good year for natural disasters for you, has it?

Have a great week all!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:52 PM   #15  
in development

My last word on LC and then I'll have some chicken for tea.

I think my reaction was that of the Young Silverbirch who had some pretty entrenched positions. One was that LC was No Good, probably because BF number 1 and I thought someone else *was* good. Maybe Donovan. You know what it's like when you're Young and In Love.

Megan - great on Oklahoma. Re benchpress - you did well. Shame it was same w/e as the show.

Must eat now. Thanks for being here, friends.