Old 04-22-2010, 09:23 AM   #1  
I'm on my way!

S/C/G: 260/172/160

Height: 5'6"

Default Blood Sugar 162 today.....

...and I am so excited! It has been 200-225 for months because I have just been out there in rebellion land doing what I want and being in denial. Yesterday I decided it was time to change for real (please be for real this time) and started using Fitday again to track. My calories were under my target and my carbs were under 50% which they almost never have been! I am on the right track and going to keep going.
TXMary2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:08 AM   #2  
Now UC it! Now U don't!

S/C/G: 210/194/140 Rd 2 beginning 3/7

Height: 5' 3.5"

Awesome. It is FOR REAL this time. The day I came out of denial FOR REAL concerning by type 2 diabetes, I was able in a period of a few short months to reduce my weight significantly and bring my A1C from 7.6 to 6.0. You can do it!
Joy2MeNu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:21 AM   #3  
Es ist ein neuer Tag!

S/C/G: Highest 280+

Height: 5' 7"

Congrats. I remember how it felt watching my blood sugars come under control. Before you know it your sugars will be even lower. Fitday is a great tool. I got my act together February 25 and on April 6 had my A1C checked. It was 7.5 (last August it was 12.1 and in November it was 10) - this 7.5 is after only 5 1/2 weeks of healthy eating and exercise and at half the insulin I had been taking when I had the test in November. I made such drastic changes that on March 3 the doctor reduced by mealtime insulin dosages by half and just this week they cut them again (my sugar this morning was 66 and I used to never, ever have a morning sugar below 180-220).
MamaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:44 PM   #4  
I'm on my way!

I have been really bad and haven't been to have blood work in almost a year. My last A1C was 6.0, but I am sure if I went right now it would be higher.

Beside weight loss my goal is to get off the Metformin and hopefully off the blood pressure med. I don't know if weight loss would help blood pressure, but I am assuming it would.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:04 AM   #5  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Default thats great

Mary, this is awesome. GOod for you.
I think if you bring your carbs down slowly, and just cut out calories from the carbs and make sure you are getting healthy fats, you will get down there in sugars and weight.
You will feel better too.
I had a little glitch in the last month when my mother died, but found I didn't get too far off the wagon, not eating right made me feel crummy. So there was a definite positive reinforcement to eating better.
I am on better track again and feeling better to boot.
Staying on track for a little while will have so many positive benefits that you will soon do it because you want to and enjoy it, instead of doing it because you "have to".
Keep coming here for support. We will celebrate every nsv and good blood sugar you get. !
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:46 AM   #6  
I'm on my way!

My blood sugar has still been in the 160's each day. That's with taking only 500mg of Metformin. I am looking forward to seeing them go down.

My calories have been great, but I have trouble staying under 50% carbs.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:08 AM   #7  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

I find that if I think in terms of "exchanges" and only let myself have one carb serving a meal, I'm almost always under 100 grams carb for the day. I just have to keep in mind that one serving is 1/2 cup of rice/pasta, or one slice of bread, or one piece of fruit. So I can have toast or fruit with breakfast, but not both.

Another thing that helped me cut back on carbs was to create a visual "healthy plate". I took a circle, divided it in half, then one of the sections in half again. So there are three sections on the "plate". The big section is your non-carby veg (salad, green beans, broccoli, cabbage, etc.), one of the smaller sections is your protein (meat, fish, egg), and the other section is your carb (half a roll, one slice of bread, half a cup of rice, half a potato, an apple, etc.)

When I began organizing my meals that way, when I put my food into MyPlate afterward I'd find I was taking in about the amount of carbs I wanted to. Then I could see how the various carbs influenced my PP readings, and tweak what I ate and when.

Last edited by synger; 04-26-2010 at 11:09 AM.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:12 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy2MeNu View Post
Awesome. It is FOR REAL this time. The day I came out of denial FOR REAL concerning by type 2 diabetes, I was able in a period of a few short months to reduce my weight significantly and bring my A1C from 7.6 to 6.0. You can do it!
Hi,
I'm new around these parts, and have been reading lots. Great forum

I hear what you are saying about getting 'real.' Denial and diabetes can be serious. I went through it too for the first few years!

Now that I'm getting older, (I'm in my fifties,) I can't mess around. This diabetes thing affects every system in our bodies.

I'm happy for the original poster who has managed to get her numbers down. Makes a big difference in the way we feel.

May I ask a question here....does anyone find they get reoccuring UTI's? I'm soooooo sick of them. I was always prone but since my diagnosis of diabetes, they just keep coming at me. I hate being on so many anti-biotics.
lookin at losin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:55 AM   #9  
I'm on my way!

It has been one week and not one day over 200. Today was 176 and yesterday I was only 39% carbs.....my lowest yet so I don't get why the bs isn't a little lower yet. Oh well, I am just going to keep going. I am going to start walking this week so maybe that will make a difference. I have to realize I can't expect spectacular results overnight.......it is a flaw of mine....impatience!
Old 04-28-2010, 09:20 AM   #10  
Proud Y Chromosome Member

S/C/G: 285/231/under 150 (normal BMI)

Height: 5'5"

Thumbs up Great Job!!!

You are on the right track. Keep up the good work.
diabetic z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:13 PM   #11  

>>May I ask a question here....does anyone find they get reoccuring UTI's?<<

I had two within a short time a while ago - my first ones - and when I figured out that D2 was responsible, well that was a huge motivator.

Back to testing twice a day, cut way back on carbs (even the healthy ones) as I want to get my sugars back down. 121 overnight - lowest it has been in a while.

Someone I know said her doctor told her 'think of sugar in the blood like glass in your veins' - it helps me to hold that image in my mind.
froggydawgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:29 PM   #12  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

That is indeed a very potent image. /shudder

For me, I have to remind myself that it's not just "sugar" like I think of sugar in the sugar bowl. It's that any carb I eat breaks down into sugar... and THAT's the sugar in my blood stream. Flour, rice, potatoes, beans, corn, peas, sugar, honey, and anything made with them. /sigh

What's helped me a lot was not so much cutting back on carbs until I saw a change, but cutting them drastically (I aim for fewer than 100 grams a day, and sometimes less than that) until my numbers began to drop. Once my FBG numbers are lower (and I'm definitely seeing a change), I plan to add a little back in at a time and see how I tolerate them.

I remember reading the "Insulin Resistance Diet" book, and it was eye-opening. It had a plan for carb control that was very easy to follow. No more than 30 grams of carb per meal, and only when balanced with at least 15 grams of protein. 30 grams is do-able for me -- a roll, a slice of bread, half a cup of rice or amaranth or mashed potatoes.

Last edited by synger; 04-28-2010 at 02:40 PM.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:29 PM   #13  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMary2 View Post
It has been one week and not one day over 200. Today was 176 and yesterday I was only 39% carbs.....my lowest yet so I don't get why the bs isn't a little lower yet. Oh well, I am just going to keep going. I am going to start walking this week so maybe that will make a difference. I have to realize I can't expect spectacular results overnight.......it is a flaw of mine....impatience!
I found it came down slowly for me too. Goes up easily when i am bad, but the fasting takes a while to come down to normal levels. But you are making progress, and in the right direction. Be patient.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:19 AM   #14  
I'm on my way!

171 today.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:45 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 268/230/130

Height: 5'5'

Hi Im just getting back on here today after a long time........ thought i would check out this diabetes section... girl in January , i was told my A1c was 13! Oh my ! Im going on the 12 of may to see what it is NOW! my sugar had allso been running anywhere from 160 to 240 in the morning.
Dr put me on Lantus and apidra also takimg metformin too.
But now in the morning its 79 -160 depends on me tho. i want to come back off by getting weight down and excercise.. hopefully I can so I will have to see hopefully!

Last edited by CherokeeAngel; 05-12-2010 at 10:13 PM.
CherokeeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote