Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 04-14-2010, 08:34 PM   #1  
Cute and Chubby

S/C/G: 205/ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Default Does anyone know of a snack shake?

I know there are meal replacement shakes, but I would love something like that for an afternoon snack. Does anyone know of any that are 100-200 cals or any ideas?
MikoMarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 327/293/125

Height: 5'5"

Have you tried a smoothie? You could try making half of a serving of carnation instant breakfast (the powder you mix with milk) half cup of milk, and some ice and blend it. I add some benefiber to it, because it doesnt have fiber, and some instant espresso powder to make it take a bit like a frappachino. It's fairly low calorie and filling (because its mostly ice), is sweet and chocolaty, and is full of vitamins. It's really quick too, and ends up being very cheap in the long run. I make a full serving and blend it up for breakfast every morning, and it keeps me happy and holds me over until lunchtime or later. You could probably do it with just a glass of chocolate milk or fruit juice too, and get similar results, but I haven't tried that myself.
christinesefton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:00 PM   #3  
ars
looking for onederland

S/C/G: 300/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

They sell single serving shelf stable Silk chocolate soy milk...the carton is 150 calories. I often use it as an afternoon snack. I like them room temperature or chilled.
ars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

For my birthday (3/20) my mom bought me a 17 piece Rocket blender set (it's a knock off of the Magic Bullet). Ever since, I've been making my own shakes, smoothies and slushes of varying calorie levels (150 - 400 calories) at least twice a week. I love that there are several blender cups so that I don't have to wash the glass before I make my next smoothie (I do have to wash the blade, and even washing the cup too is a lot easier than having to clean a full-size blender).

At it's simplest, I just stir in a half scoop of Protein powder into skim milk (145 calories). If I want to get fancier, I'll add flavorings (a pinch of Crystal Light drink mix powder or diet Jello powder, or cocoa powder and a pinch of instant coffee. Ice cubes, frozen fruit or carbsmart ice cream to thicken.

Another really good snack shake is a yogurt shake up. In a blender (regular blender, personal blender, or even a food processor) combine one flavored yogurt (Yoplait key lime pie is my favorite), Crystal Light lemonade or diet Sprite and
a couple ice cubes or some crushed or shaved ice.

In college I made these without a blender. I'd put ice cubes in a tupperware pitcher or bowl. Add the yogurt and the sprite or lemonade, replace the lid tightly and shake til blended. If you use soda or any other carbonated beverage, the pitcher or bowl needs to be considerably larger than the volume of liquid or the CO2 pressure will make a mess (the lid will pop off and spray you with shake).

Another "snack" shake I make (it reminds me of the freezes at Steak n Shake) with my Rocket (but you could use a blender or food processor - food processors are a bit messy, but they work).

Freezes

140 calories

1 cup Skim milk, 1 small package sugar free jello (any flavor, I like lime), ice cubes.

Blend until drink is frothy and smooth.

Frozen fruit Daquiris are really good too.
(the calories depend on the fruit you use)

1 cup strawberries (or any frozen fruit - raspberries, peaches)
Diet lemonade, or Diet Sprite or Diet Mountain Dew
a splash of lemon or lime juice (optional)
Spenda (optional and only if the berries aren't ripe will you need it).

Add as much liquid as it takes to make the daquiri as thick as you'd like. If you use only a little liquid you can make a sorbet. I usually use about a cup of liquid for a medium thick slushie.

Substitute skim milk and you have a fruit shake. (for about 200 calories, depending on the fruit you use).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:25 PM   #5  
Cute and Chubby

S/C/G: 205/ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Wow great ideas!!!!
MikoMarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:50 AM   #6  
WW Moderator

Kaplods, that lime yogurt shake up sounds sooooo good! I love lime. I know what I'm having for a snack, later. The freeze also sounds good, but it has gelatin in it. If I can find some sugar free vegetarian lime jello I'll give it a shot!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:28 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer 3FC View Post
Kaplods, that lime yogurt shake up sounds sooooo good! I love lime. I know what I'm having for a snack, later. The freeze also sounds good, but it has gelatin in it. If I can find some sugar free vegetarian lime jello I'll give it a shot!
I've also used the unsweetened packets of Kool Aid (I love the lemon-lime flavor). In a small 1/2 cup or smaller tupperware container I add the Kool Aid packet to a small amount of sweetener (about 2 to 4 tablespoons, not the full cup called for on the packet). Really I'm only adding the sweetener to "bulk up" the powder to make it easier to measure out with a measuring spoon. I close the lid and shake to blend (I shake before using too).

Now I have a flavoring to add to coffees, sodas, teas, waters, shakes...

Last edited by kaplods; 04-15-2010 at 03:28 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote