Old 03-29-2010, 11:13 AM   #1  
Eyes on the Prize

S/C/G: 350/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Six Week "Change 5 Things" Challenge: March 29 - May 10, 2010

I saw this challenge posted by Mmckellen over on the South Beach forum and thought it was a great idea. But, I am not on South Beach! So, I thought this might be a good place - anyone is free to join me on this challenge. If you watched the Ruby episode over the weekend on Style network, you are familiar with this. Her therapist had her choose 5 changes to make to get her out of a weight loss rut. These can be anything and do not have to be weight loss related. For example, she posted mirrors around her house so she would not be able to avoid looking at herself. She also cut out diet soda and decided to take the stairs more versus the elevator.

I've read that it takes 21 days to form a habit, but I am going to go with 6 weeks here - I feel like I need more accountability than 21 days. The challenge is to come up with your 5 changes and update us here at least weekly on your progress. Frequent updates are welcome! The challenge will run from today, March 29 to May 10.

This morning I took a look back at what I was eating, etc. at the beginning of my weight loss so I can get back to what I know works. I really need to shake things up and set these as a priority again. With that in mind:

1. Drink A LOT more water and use it in place of diet soda. For me, this will be 3 more 20oz. bottles per day.

2. Add more structured exercise (this is a hard one for me!). I need at least 2 hours total per week of this.

3. Eat 5 small meals per day, lean protein and a good carb at each.

4. Stop obsessing about the scale with daily weigh-ins and pay more attention to how my clothes fit. (this one has been bad for me, too!) I am going back to basics and not weighing until May 1st.

5. Spend more time outside - at the park with the kids, working in the yard, etc.

If you are with me on this, just post your 5 changes and let's work on them together!

Last edited by HotWings; 03-30-2010 at 09:52 AM.
HotWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:11 PM   #2  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Right on, Hot Wings! I think I'll join Mmckellan over on the beach, but yours caught my eye. We've been doing our challenges a bit longer, since reading about 66 days to a new habit. Here's a link to the article; http://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/news-articles/0908/09080401

Best Wishes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:40 PM   #3  
Never ending story

S/C/G: 213/160/150

Height: 5'7.5"

I could use this, and I think a lot of what I need to change is my attitude. So...

1. Stop expecting to lose weight every time I step on the scale, which is daily (no complaining!).

2. No more eating dinner after 8 p.m. (I'm okay with special circumstances because I'm not an early eater, but for the most part, I need to get my calories in earlier).

3. Eat fewer calories in more meals. I tend to save up most of my calories for the dinner meal, and I have a feeling eating fewer calories interspersed throughout the day will burn them more efficiently.

4. Start doing yoga. I feel a weak link in my mind/body connection that I know I can get back if I focus, and yoga just might do the trick. I want to try Zumba, too.

5. Don't worry, be happy. I need to remember that I am doing this for me, and that I feel strong, proud and healthy getting in shape. I am not suffering or depriving myself, I am treating myself to the gift of good health.

Alrighty then, good luck!
LouisaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:46 PM   #4  
Eyes on the Prize

Hey Debbie - thanks so much for the link! A very interesting article. I guess I will leave the dates for the challenge like they are since I can't edit the title, but after reading that article I will probably keep updating this thread through May - that should give me nearly 66 days!

Thanks again!
Old 03-29-2010, 03:49 PM   #5  
Eyes on the Prize

Welcome Louisa - those sound like great changes. Let's do this thing!

BTW - I want to try Zumba, too. Do you know of any good DVD Zumba workouts?
Old 03-29-2010, 04:14 PM   #6  
Stay Focused & Committed

S/C/G: 237/205/184

Height: 5" 5.5

I'd like to join you all if it's okay. I was on a roll and lost 26 pounds from Sept to Dec on WW. After starting a new job, I totally lost focus and have gained back 1/2 of what I lost. Before I put all the weight back on, I am trying to get control of my eating and start losing again.

Here are the 5 changes I plan to make:

1. Regain control of my eating and STOP binging. I need to stay away from junk food and stick to healthier foods. I also need to limit the sugar and salt in my diet.
2. Get back to exercising at least 4-5 days each week. That includes walking and FIRMing.
3. Don't let the scale determine my success. Measure my success by how my clothes fit.
4. Drink at least 6 glasses of water each day. Omit sweet wine from my diet and have red wine no more than 2 nights a week.
5. Journal daily and honestly log every bite.
GettinFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:58 PM   #7  
Never ending story

S/C/G: 213/160/150

Height: 5'7.5"

HotWings, I have only seen the official Zumba DVD that is a set of five DVDs. I'm hesitant to invest in the set and find that two of the dvds are unusable (I think one is an introduction and another is a Zumba for kids. I might go to the library and see if they have it so I can check it out before buying.

GettinFit, welcome and good for you for getting back into it while you're still down. Good luck on the goals!
LouisaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:11 PM   #8  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Mind if I join? I saw this episode of "Ruby" & thought this was a good idea, since I have been in a sort of rut with my weight recently, too.

1) Four nights a week, I will be in bed by 10:15. In bed. Not about to go to bed, not logging off, not still brushing my teeth.

2) I will pick out frames for a new pair of glasses by the last day of April. I have been carrying around that new prescription since December. It's long past time. My eyes did not change much. But still. And my current glasses need to be retired.

3) I will cut down on my use of Splenda in my coffee to four packets a day.
With me, this is like some peoples' diet soda habits.

4) I will eat Eggbeaters for breakfast once a week.

5) I will commit to leaving work on time to get to Circuit Training Class on Monday nights at the gym near my house, in NY. I am bored with spending an hour on the exercise bike in the gym at my office in CT & need to shake up my routine.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:39 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

Hi HotWings! I need a new challenge.

1. I will cross at least three things off my to-do list every day.
2. I will exercise at least 5 days per week, even if it means just going for a walk.
3. I will not eat after dinner is finished ... the kitchen is closed.
4. I will plan each day's food in CalorieKing ... doesn't mean I can't change it, but it will be a good blueprint
5. I will do an unplanned kindness each day.

Last edited by CJZee; 03-30-2010 at 03:44 PM.
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:25 PM   #10  

Height: 5'9

This sounds fun! And the time line is great for me, since May 10 is a special day (the day my husband first asked me out)
  1. Have my evening treat after I work out and do chores
  2. Do a "sweep" every night to pick up dishes, trash, etc before I go to bed
  3. Spend more quality, snuggly time with the husband
  4. Put away folded laundry right away instead of just letting it sit
  5. Take deep breaths and RELAX!
OneStepAtATime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:04 AM   #11  
Stay Focused & Committed

S/C/G: 237/205/184

Height: 5" 5.5

Good Morning All,

Thanks Louisa for the warm welcome.
I made it through day 1 and am looking forward to getting through another day. I really want to get back in the zone I was in before I feel off the wagon. I hope everyone else is having a great day
GettinFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:52 AM   #12  
Eyes on the Prize

GettinFit - You are more than welcome here. One thing I have learned is that weight loss is a constant battle of controlling and regaining control over our thought processes. What matters is not that you fell off the wagon, but that you got back on! You can't fail if you don't quit. Sounds like the first day was a good one!

saef - I really like your #1. My sleep habits have been suffering lately - going to bed way too late! Forced myself to bed on time last night and I actually felt pretty refreshed when I woke up. I need to keep doing that!

!!!CJ!!!: How are you girl? Our snow finally melted, so I have been out and about just doing this and that for the past few weeks. I am back with a vengeance though, this week. OMG.. your #3. I am beginning to think my list should have been 10 things to change. That is also something I am now going back to - no eating at night. I wish I had a door I could lock on my kitchen. Also, the unplanned kindness is fantastic - you will touch so many lives that way. I love the commercial about someone doing something nice, then that person in turn does something nice for someone else, and it just keeps going on and on.

OneStepAtATime: I need your #2! I like that some of yours are related to cleaning/organization. I have heard it said that the state of our home is a reflection of our own state of well being. Which, for me, at times can be a really scary thought.

Well, yesterday for me overall was pretty good on my goals. I ended up getting an extra 2 bottles of water in, but I need to get 3! I did get some structured exercise in and combined it with doing something outside - took my kids for a 30 minute walk. Also, I signed us up for a kickboxing class on Wednesday nights! I am excited about it and the kids are, too. I didn't step on the scale and I actually feel really good about that. Still need work on eating 5 smaller meals right now. I grew up with dinner practically being an event, so it is hard not to make dinner bigger than the other meals!

I hope everyone is having a good one today!
Old 03-31-2010, 12:16 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 216/SEE TiCKER/145

Height: 5'5"

Do you all mind if I join? I know I'm a day late.. I've already started my 5 things and this challenge is the perfect way to help me stay focused.
MiSSxB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:34 AM   #14  
Eyes on the Prize

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiSSxB View Post
Do you all mind if I join? I know I'm a day late.. I've already started my 5 things and this challenge is the perfect way to help me stay focused.
Jump on in! Everyone is welcome, even if you didn't start March 29.

What 5 things are you working on?
Old 03-31-2010, 12:42 AM   #15  
Eyes on the Prize

Today was good for me, better than yesterday. My meals were closer to 5 smaller meals than yesterday. I did fall a little short again on the water, but I am drinking much more than before. I combined doing something outside again with exercise and took the kids for a 45 minute walk. It was absolutely gorgeous here today, although windy. 79 degrees - perfect! I didn't step on the scale, in fact, I hid the scale under a box so I don't have to look at it. Not weighing is going to be tough for me.

OMG.. I can't believe I am starting the kickboxing class tomorrow. Me.. kickboxing. 45 minute class. I hope I can make it through the class without being a weenie.