Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 03-30-2010, 04:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 184/129/130

Height: 5'4.5"

Default need help on my gaining

I might not be getting this right but I've been counting calories since I got pregnant, I was on a low carb diet before and so I watch how many carbs I eat too.
At this point my calories are at 2000 based on my weight now for maintenance. That's not including the 200-300 they recommend you add due to pregnancy. I do a 1 hour brisk walk on my treadmill on a 3 incline but will sometimes go up to an 8 incline.
This is what I typically eat in a day:
breakfast
2-3 eggs and coffee (with 2 tbs of sugar and 2 tables of half and half) or I'll have a serving of oatmeal with a tbs of sugar and 1/4 cup or milk and one egg (for protein).

lunch: either a..
Tuna sandwich, tuna pasta salad (everything is measured out), or a chicken salad with 2 tbs of ranch.

Dinner: either...
chicken breast with veggies and a baked potato with tbs of butter, vegetarian soup, or a serving of beef stew.

snacks: can be....almonds, fruit, cheese (one serving), or green olives.

My drinks:
Coffee typically only in the morning but will sometimes have it during the evening...depends. Normally I have water or plain ice tea through out the day.

If we go out to eat its normally on the weekends and I try to make sure its somewhere where I can track my calories on calorieking. I use the "Lose it" app on my Iphone to track what I eat.

what am I doing wrong here?
mom4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Are you not gaining? Does that add up to 2300 calories per day?

I'd add in some more carbs or bigger snacks. Maybe add some juice to breakfast? I know you were low-carbing it before, but I don't know if you are supposed to do that during pregnancy.

It also doesn't look like there's much calcium in there. I was told you need 4 servings of calcium rich foods per day. I have a hard time doing that, but I'm trying. I've been eating yogurt, fortified almond milk, cheese, and yes, the occasional serving of ice cream (bad, yes.)

On a side note, I LOVE green olives. I can eat way too much of them at once these days.

Last edited by zenor77; 04-08-2010 at 05:28 PM.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:36 PM   #3  

Okay, I just saw in the other thread that you're worried about gaining too much.

Did you gain a lot during your other pregnancies? Gestational diabetes? Some women do gain more than others and it may not be controllable. I've read a lot about the weight recommendations and they don't seem to be based on anything solid scientifically. At least I've never seen any studies that prove that 25-30 lbs is really the ideal.

I understand your frustration. I'd already gained 6 lbs by 11 weeks.

Maybe talk to your doctor/midwife (I can't remember which you have) and see what they say?
Old 04-09-2010, 08:05 AM   #4  

With my first pregnancy, I honestly had no clue I was pregnant till I was 7 months along. I was 110 lbs by the end of the pregnancy I was 145. I was very young wasn't thinking about nutrition, my dd1 came out 7 lbs 4 oz

#2-#4 I ate like there was no tomorrow and never exercised at all. I believed in the "you're eating for 2 now" mentality and I gained 60 lbs.

In this case I'm exercising everyday, not to lose weight but to stay fit. And I'm trying to stay within my maintenance calories but eat less carbs. And I seem to be gaining no matter what I do.

Last edited by mom4life; 04-09-2010 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:18 PM   #5  

I know this sounds counter intuitive, but maybe you aren't eating enough since you are exercising and eating your maintenance calories? Your body might be holding onto everything because of that? I don't know?
Old 04-11-2010, 09:18 PM   #6  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

That menu doesn't seem like it has 2300 calories to me; I got about 1400 or less if you ate 3 snacks of about 100 calories each. You could add a slice of whole grain toast to breakfast with some cheese. A good morning snack would be fruit or add a fruit to breakfast as well. Maybe have a small glass of milk or yogurt or yogurt ice cream with lunch to add calcium foods. Plus broccoli and a few other veggies have calcium in them too.

Hope you are also taking a really good Vitamin supplement as well. My cousin put a basket of 5 fruit on her counter and ate those all throughout the day and added some milk & cheese -- that helped her stay at a good weight with her pregnancy (as long as you don't have any sugar issues, but you use a lot of sugar in your coffee so I suspect not).

With this, you shouldn't gain too much. During pregnancy you need the more balanced food plan to be sure to get all the B vitamins and calcium in for the baby. Just try to get those in and you should be fine.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:37 AM   #7  

I weighed myself this morning (25 weeks) after a week of not exercising, just to see if that might make a difference. So far I've gained 7.7 lbs (last weigh-in was at 20 weeks) putting me at 25.5 lbs gained since I got pregnant.
I started limiting my sugar intake to see if that was the source but I'm adding more fruits.
Since I eat veggies or salad for both lunch and dinner my midwife took me off the prenatal and onto a Super B-complex vitamin plus a Magnesium suppliment. I also take Vitamin E, Biotin, and fish oil.
I'll try to up my calories to see if that levels me out with my weight gain.