Old 04-10-2010, 04:31 PM   #1  
The tortoise

Default Healthy liquid diet

I had some serious dental work done this morning, wisdom teeth all pulled and a root canal, so in short... ouch.

I won't be chewing for a few days and after that I'm on the soft stuff. All the food I normally eat these days is the good crunchy stuff and the smoothies I do have don't really have a good amount of calories to survive on. Any advice on what I could do?
Cleophas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 04:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Add a banana to your smoothies. Sugar free puddings, sugar free yogurt, cotage cheese all will help. when I had dental surgery I loaded up on sugar free popsicles, not much nutrition but they help with the pain.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Spinach in smoothies is really good and not spinach-tasting at all. Maybe add some protein powder (plain) to your smoothies. Try some nonfat yogurt... maybe some soups with lots of veggies in them (cooked very soft). Mashed cauliflower is very good and soft like mashed potatoes. Hope you feel better soon... I hated having my wisdom teeth out.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:27 PM   #4  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Add peanut butter or coconut oil to your smoothies. Yum! Or make your favorite soup and puree it -- beans puree nicely in soups, and if you're not sure you want a lot you can always add part of a can of refried beans... already mashed! Again, if you're not getting enough calories, add eggs or fats to your soups.

Soft-cooked eggs might be easy to eat, too.

Cottage cheese is pretty soft. Hard cooked eggs mashed up with cottage cheese and flavored with mustard makes a kind of deviled-egg-tasting dish that would be fairly soft.

Fruits can be stewed or cooked into sauces and added to yogurt or pudding.

Some veggies can be stewed, like one of my faves -- tomatoes and spinach (it's how I learned to like spinach; now I can eat it alone but I still love it stewed with tomatoes). Cauliflower, parsnips, squash, carrots, and potatoes all can be mashed and are soft.

Google recipes for "congee", which is an Asian rice porridge. Or oatmeal made with milk (or cream for more calories) and fruit is a good soft porridge.

Here are some links for soft food diets, which will give you more info on what you can eat and what you should avoid.

Good luck on the dental surgery! Recover quickly and fully!
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:26 AM   #5  
No Matter What!

S/C/G: 264/257/145

When I was 15 I had surgery on my jaw and had my mouth wired shut for 6 weeks. At that time, health and nutrition meant nothing to me and it was all about what blended well and tasted good! So, not sure if these ideas will work with your plan or not, but some of my favorite things were:

Campbell's Bean with Bacon Soup - this is surprisingly good warm and blended. It smooths out nicely. I'm sure it sodium packed which is not great, but it has a lot of fiber which is good. Interestingly enough, I had never had it before having my mouth wired shut and after I had it unwired I tried the soup not blended and didn't like it. LOL.

Chocolate and Peanut butter shakes - maybe a lowfat chocolate frozen yogurt, a dab of peanut butter and maybe even a banana would be yummy - but more dessert like.

Peaches - canned peaches blended pretty well and if they were nice and cold first, they were actually really refreshing to drink.

After 6 weeks I was ready to blend just about anything! Believe it or not, birthday cake is surprisingly good as a smoothie. But, I digress, and I know that's not really a healthy eating sort of thing. However, I can tell you that I lost 22 pounds in that 6 weeks pretty much eating the three things listed above over and over and over again. Boring, but reliable and tasty. Good luck with your mouth healing!
teensie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:15 AM   #6  
The tortoise

Thanks for all the advice guys, I really appreciate it, probably more when I can put it all into action. I admit protein is the thing I'm worried about most, but I suppose eggs in soup is a really good idea for that.

I feel for you Teensie, I'm already bored of liquid foods, I can't imagine what six weeks of this would be like, six hours has just about done me in. I want food with texture!

Thanks for the links about soft food diets, I'll read back when I can actually put anything non liquid into my mouth

Thanks for the well wishes, I appreciate it
Cleophas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:03 AM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I wouldn't worry too much about protein, as long as you aren't junking it up, you'll probably get plenty of protein.

You can add avocado, nut butters, bananas, etc to your smoothie. Avocado is truly awesome in a smoothie, it makes them really creamy. You could even do yogurt type smoothies if you wanted.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote