Old 04-09-2010, 08:18 PM   #1  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Default Swimmers...anyone?

Ah! I just went for an evening swim. Nothing feels more relaxing to me than a good long swim and a dip in the hot tub. I feel invigorated and refreshed.

It's been a few years since I've been in the pool, to swim laps anyway. At that time I started out barely able to do two laps and worked my way up to swimming two miles non stop in just under two hours. This time I expected to start back at the beginning. I had a goal in mind of ten laps. I did 50 and could have done more, but this was supposed to be "just for fun." And it was!

Who else likes to swim?
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:23 PM   #2  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

ME!!! I love to swim - I'm a water baby, have been all my life. At one point (gasp) I was a certified lifeguard.

Now I mostly use the children as an excuse to go to the pool - we go and stay for the day. On those days I have a MEGA calorie burn even though I'm not swimming laps the whole time.
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:13 PM   #3  
is recommitted

S/C/G: 338/see sig/150

Height: 5'6"

I just moved to a new house and we have a community pool... but we don't have the key yet!!! It's perfect swimming weather right now so I'm getting pretty impatient. I'd love to go! I've never really done laps or anything like that because the pool at our apartment was not really big enough to do that.
rakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:19 PM   #4  
Transforming through God

I love swimming, the water is nearly warm enough to swim in (I am in FL). Even on days I just take my little girl to the pool, I tread water almost the whole time she is having fun, so yeah, calorie burn is awesome
MyBestYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:51 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

Oh! Me me me me me! Can't you tell? I used to swim 3-5 hours a play, plus cross train, and swam on my University's team, competed provincially. Ah those were the days.. now I find all my apt's either view water, or you can hear water... definitely a water baby Enjoy the swimming, just beware of those post-swimming munchies!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:19 PM   #6  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

I do! I swim laps a couple times a week and find it helps work out the kinks from the more high-impact exercises I do, like running. Plus it just feels great being in the water.

Endurance-wise, I am fine, but I'm working on increasing my speed and improving my technique. That seems to be my MO with everything.
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:30 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

I absolutely LOVE swimming-- in fact I swam 5 or 6 days a week throughout my first fifty lbs of weight loss! I am an excellent swimmer and have terrific endurance in the water. Haven't been swimming much lately because of running and lifting, but I really want to include it at least two days a week-- it feels terrific and is easy on the joints-- I always hit the sauna afterwards.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:51 AM   #8  
Calorie counter

There's something about swimming that opens up my lungs and makes me completely relaxed. I don't know if it's the chlorine or the deep breathing. I too am a slow swimmer with lots of endurance for it.

My only problem is I am one sided breather, always to the right, and after a while it takes a tole on my right shoulder which has to worker harder. I tried breathing to my right last night and then I tried alternating every three strokes, but I just kept getting water up my nose and felt like I was drowning myself, gasping for air. I don't know why I can't breath to the right.

I was a water baby too. I've been swimming since I was four, but never on a team or anything. And I find treading water relaxing.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:33 PM   #9  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Another swimmer here. My once a week lap swimming session is my reward for going to the gym rest of the week.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:11 PM   #10  
Calorie counter

I did water aerobics with my girlfriend this morning "just for fun" and was actually bored. It could stand to be a little more intense. That's a bummer because I think water aerobics can be really good.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:45 PM   #11  

Height: 5'5"

I LOVE to swim. If I could figure out a way to get my laptop in there I would probably never come out of the water LOL.
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:05 PM   #12  
Fighting The Binges

S/C/G: HW274/RW215?/GW137

Height: 5' 4"

I enjoy swimming but did a lot more of it at the start of my journey than now. In the beginning I used to swim laps about 3 times a week and worked up to a mile each session in about 65mins.
As I've upped the intensity with other things and started doing step classes and running the swimming has taken a back seat and I only swim once a week now (I do a mile in 55mins now), if that, but I know it helps me when I do because it gives my joints a rest yet is still exercise, and I love the sauna and jacuzzi afterwards.
Loving Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:56 PM   #13  
Calorie counter

Lovingme, swimming has to take a backseat for me too, even though it's the form of exercise I enjoy the most. I'm not good enough at it for it to my primary, even for cardio. Even the best swimmers additionally strength train and probably have some other form of cardio. For me, swimming just isn't enough and I proved that when I reached the ability to swim two miles, at least to myself. I like to be dead after an hour.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:24 PM   #14  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

Not I - I wish I could find that confidence. Just not there yet!
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote