Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-10-2010, 12:23 AM   #1  

Height: 5'9

Default I'm ready to quit right now...

((Warning: Long, self-pitying rant below))

For the last month or so, I've just been ready to quit everything. Quit trying to eat right, to exercise regularly, to lose weight. I really don't know what happened. I started this year off so well, with renewed vigor...and I actually did really well. So I don't know what's going on.

Actually, that's not quite accurate. I think what's going on is that "real life" is getting in the way. Family comes in visiting from out of town, and I feel I can't just stop and exercise, I want to spend time with them. Tasty food that I only get a couple of times a year...I want to eat it. I know I could just have a bite, but a bite tends to lead to another, and then another. You guys know the drill.

Honestly, I haven't done as bad as I would have in other years in this situation. My food intake hasn't been great, but not horrible. I'm still getting more regular exercise than I ever have before, although not the 45 minutes/5 times a week I'm aiming for.

What is comes down to is...I'm tired. Tired of having to think about food and fight my urges all time time. Tired to forcing myself to exercise. Tired of having to work ever damn minute of every day to do this.

I'm just ready to give up
OneStepAtATime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:36 AM   #2  
Im naked under my clothes

S/C/G: 196/see ticker/165

Height: 5' 7

Now that you've gotten that out out your system....keep going!You've come too far!
Getting Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:42 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 340/323/165

Height: 5'11

Don't give up!! You can definitely do this. I completely understand how it feels to have life get in the way but you have to think about how important it is to take care of yourself!

When you find yourself wanting to eat those tempting foods, just remind yourself...It'll be there later. You don't need to have a bite of it now, or if you do, why overdo it, when it'll be around later?

You can do this. You have so much support here. Let's beat weight loss together!
lostinstaticx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:44 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 365/270.4/265

Height: 5 foot 2

ok, this is what I want you to do. Go to the grocery store, buy a bag of 10 pound potatoes and attach them to your stomach. Do you want that back? That's how much you've lost, how far you've come.
Maybe it's not as fast as you'd like, maybe you're not exactly where you want to be, but you know what, I'd die to be where you are at. I have to work my butt off every day too but the truth is, we got ourselves here and we have to work to get ourselves well.
You want to give up because it's too hard, that's your choice.
But ask yourself, how will you feel about this decision a year from now?
sweetcakes736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:44 AM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey!

Lots of us have those feelings from time to time. It's just too hard. It's inconvenient. I want those foods. I'm tired.

But you know, if you are someone who has become overweight or obese doing what you used to think was "normal," then you have to change normal! You have to make exercise a regular part of your routine, just like brushing your teeth etc. Would you skip showering because relatives had come from out of town? I would guess not! So although you'll need to adjust things, you don't just drop the plan for "special occasions."

I'm sorry to say, if you truly want to lose weight and keep the weight off, you'll need to think about food and exercise regularly. I don't mean think about it constantly--it doesn't have to be all-consuming (no pun intended)--but the days of blithely chowing down on fattening foods without a thought must be over and done with.

Hang in there... Keep going...

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:13 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 260/ticker/160

Height: 5'6 1/2"

Take a deep breath. We can do this.
toobig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:23 AM   #7  

Height: 5'5.5"

Don't give up. Real life in the form of a fun family visit is terrific and it is no wonder you don't want to leave the party and go exercise or order chicken breast at a restaurant you only go to once a year. And there is no reason that you should. I think this quote is perfect.

Quote:
Honestly, I haven't done as bad as I would have in other years in this situation. My food intake hasn't been great, but not horrible. I'm still getting more regular exercise than I ever have before, although not the 45 minutes/5 times a week I'm aiming for.
You've done better than other years and when the visit is over you can get back to your regular plan. I know that it bugs you to have to think about losing weight constantly but if you don't give up it will get easier and easier. At a family visit a few years from now you will be at a healthy weight and be confident about how to deal with eating and exercise. Just don't give up because it is hard right now.

LizR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:26 AM   #8  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Don't give up!!!

Don't do what I did... and dive back into what's 'easy' when the going gets tough. Because here I am starting back at it 16 lbs above where I was. That sucks worse than just sucking it up and keeping at it, let me tell you!

You CAN do this because more than you're tired, more than you want to take the easy way out and give up, you want to be healthy!! It's worth it!

Last edited by ValRock; 04-10-2010 at 09:27 AM.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:47 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneStepAtATime View Post
What is comes down to is...I'm tired. Tired of having to think about food and fight my urges all time time. Tired to forcing myself to exercise. Tired of having to work ever damn minute of every day to do this.
I think that is really honest and I can really understand. I've been there at several points.

But RR made a really good point that was also true for me. I eventually got to the point where being large was much more tiring and life inhibiting than the effort required to lose.

Definately spend some more time thinking about the reasons you started in the first place and do some comparisons.
randomcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:51 AM   #10  
Don't Give Up!

S/C/G: 262/137.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Smile

Just keep trying. Think of were you will be a year from now. We will always have family and friend get together's and have to deal with eating out. I know I need to plan better too. It can be a pain, but now I don't want to gain back any more weight.

Last edited by VickieLou; 04-10-2010 at 09:51 AM. Reason: spelling.
VickieLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:06 AM   #11  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Don't give up - it will get easier.
By the way, you may want to read Secrets of a Former Fat Girl (by Lisa Delaney) - I am just about to finish it. I disagree with some of her recommendations but it's a good book to read and quite entertaining. You are not in this alone, and with time, it will become a second nature to you and you won't to struggle as much
YOU ARE A WOMAN - YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

Last edited by Tomato; 04-10-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:17 AM   #12  
Cute and Chubby

S/C/G: 205/ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Well, maybe you need to change it up a little. I could NEVER think about it all the time, or I too, would hate it. So I am aware of what I am eating but I don't strictly count calories. And as far as excersizing, I had to find something I liked to do, or I would never do it. Now I do Just Dance on the Wii, Biking, and Archery. (I still do my SS a few days a week too) but now it doesn't feel like an obligation, it's fun. And I am losing! Maybe not as fast as if I were strickly dieting, but I'm not giving up and gaining it back, either.
Hope this works for you. Good luck!
MikoMarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:58 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Height: 5'6"

I have been battling with the same feelings for several weeks. I know no one can make you stick to your plan or move forward with your weight loss, but I thought I would share my personal insight to my situation in hopes that it could help you.

My plan has been holding on by a thread day in and day out since I got back on plan almost 2 months ago. I have been angry with the plan I'm on, angry with having to put so much time and effort into my weight loss, the planning, the cooking, the clean-up, the exercise. I'm not new to weight loss, I've been dieting on and off since I was in 7th grade. I have learned more about food, nutrition and health in the last 15 years that I know how to be healthy and lose weight - but, my inner child is a spoiled, rotten brat. When it doesn't get it's way, it throws an all-out temper tantrum that would put any 2-year old to shame. It gets angry when I don't eat "fun" stuff, it pouts when the plan for dinner is lean meat and vegetables instead of McDonalds, it wants to watch TV when it's time to exercise. However, I am an adult. I know what I need to do to lose weight and be healthy. I cannot just give into the petulant child because it's easier. I know what happens if I have McDonalds for dinner and watch TV from the time I get home from work until the time I go to bed. I am the boss here, I have to do the responsible thing. I can accept that it's not always going to be as fun (because while I like the healthy stuff I cook, I like junk food more), it's not always going to be easy, but I know that I need to lose weight and regain my health. I deserve it, and I owe it to myself. I've put my body through more crap than a body should have to put up with in a lifetime. Ubergirl (I think, can't find the exact post right now) said something awhile back about how we don't get to be the diva stomping our feet and throwing a fit because we don't get what we want. I think about this all the time because it's so true and so fitting for me. No one is forcing me to lose weight, I made the decision myself, for myself. I can't get mad, or throw a fit over a positive decision I made for myself.

With my ramblings over, some practical suggestions. Throw in some health options for food while your family is visiting. Fruit salads, a low-fat quiche, marinaded, grilled chicken, etc. Fill up on the healthy stuff, then maybe make room for a little bit of something indulgent each day. Challenge yourself, set goals for the day (keeping within your calorie range, getting in your full 45-mins of exercise, eating on plan all day so you can have one small treat with dinner, etc.). See if anyone in your family wants to go for a walk. If you have a great park nearby or there are activities your family would enjoy that involve walking, biking, etc. Even a shopping trip where you are up moving around. If there are kids in your family, see if they would be interested in a game of kickball, outdoor games, etc. Also, maybe get up an extra 15-20 minutes before everyone else to get in some strength training, or some light cardio. You could have at least a mini-workout before everyone else was up and moving for the day. It would take away some of the stress you seem to have over not getting in your normal workout.

Giving up never works out well for the individual. Giving up may be easier in the moment, but the stress that comes later isn't worth it. Next week, next month, next year, you will look back and remember how well you were doing, then it fell apart. The long term ramifications just are not worth the instant gratification of throwing in the towel.

I hope some of this helps (and that it makes sense ). I know you can keep at it, I'm certain you have it in you. Dig deep and find it.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:08 PM   #14  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Here's my little take...

When I was eating whatever/whenever...I thought it about it constantly. I felt guilt with every bite and was conscious of what I was doing every time I went to eat anything.

Now I still think about food all the time, only there's no guilt.

So if I'm going to be thinking about food every second of every day anyway, I might as well make good choices about so I can at least ditch the guilt.

Also, this is where setting myself a goal of being on plan for one year without quitting has been instrumental to my success. It doesn't matter what hardships come my way, I'm committed to seeing how far I get in one year's time.

Just a suggestion.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:25 PM   #15  

Height: 5'9

Thank you so much everyone! I read all of your good advice and well-wishes, and it really was just what I needed (actually, I'm going to bookmark this page and come back to look at it next time I feel this way again).

You know, I am doing better than I have been in the past. I guess I just ned to keep things in perspective. I can do this
OneStepAtATime is offline   Reply With Quote