Old 04-09-2010, 03:35 PM   #1  

Default 76, old, fat, fighting health, new WW, trouble, is that a good start?

I thought I made a title, old, fat, sick, new WW, trouble, how is that
damsel1934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:52 PM   #2  

three weeks on WW, lost only 2.4 lbs. I am faithful to the program, what is wrong! So discouraged. I am a diabetic, have Lupus, fight each day with COPD and asthma. I am still able to take care of myself at 76. I gained 34 lbs this past yr. I weight 234. How horrible is that? I need some support and ideas or should I just stop WW. Thx
Old 04-09-2010, 04:34 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

A 2.4 pound loss in 3 weeks is good. We cannot predict how much we will lose, everybody is different so it is better not to compare with others. I wouldn't stop yet, give WW a chance.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:14 PM   #4  
Happy Member

Hi, Damsel:

Yes, losing weight at any age is difficult, and it becomes more difficult the older we get. But we can't stop trying, can we? Absolutely not!!!

As Bargoo said, that 2.4 lb. loss in 3 weeks is good. Keep it up.

I was in my 70s when I lost 60 lbs. It can be done, it really can. Now in my 80s I do struggle daily to maintain that weight loss. But I am going to keep trying every day, and every day, and every day.

Best of luck to you.
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:43 AM   #5  

WW Meeting lastnight loss of 2 lbs, yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it has been a struggle! Sure would like to hear from same age folks and how you are doing? It is raining which almost never happens here in S Tx. several days and more coming! It is 4/14

Last edited by damsel1934; 04-14-2010 at 11:44 AM. Reason: date
Old 04-14-2010, 12:58 PM   #6  
Happy Member

Hi, Damsel:

Congratulations on the 2 unwanted lbs. gone forever. It is a mighty slow process, but it can be done.

So it is raining is S. Texas? That is unusual. We lived in Texas long ago. Today is very windy here in central Wyoming, so windy that it makes it difficult to walk outdoors. Guess I will stay indoors the rest of the day.

This losing weight and maintaining that weight loss is a day to day project. But we do have to keep trying.

Have a good day.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:36 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 294.5/276/190

Height: 5'2"

Welcome!
Yes, it takes longer for older folks to lose weight. Getting discouraged can really be a trap. I am glad that you recognized this. I aim for a very low weight loss each week, between .5 lb and 1.5. That helps keep me in balance.
I can identify with you;I am younger than you, however, I share many of the same health concerns. I refuse to let my illnesses get in the way of a active life. It would be too easy to sit in a chair and brood. The great ladies on this board help me to stay motivated. I know you will find support here as well.
Best of luck
Coralee
chicpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:31 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 220/204/150

Height: 5'7"

Hi Damsel,

I give you a lot of credit for making the decision to work on your health.

I'm younger than you, but the scale barely moves for me now. I just try to focus on the little things that are making me feel better (no acid reflex, I don't feel like a have a hangover from eating junk food all day, I can walk up the stairs easier).

If we keep it up, the weight will come off!

DZ
MaezieZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:17 PM   #9  

Seems as though what I want to say is complaining, I don't feel that way. I live in a 3rd world country (the very tip of Texas, 3 miles N of Mexico) There aren't too many folks in WW here, I need a friend to keep me going! Also at the one grocer (HEB) WW products are also limited. I am old enough to hang in here (75) but I need encouragement, oh I am just a big baby.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:06 PM   #10  
Happy Member

Hi, Damsel:

This losing weight business can be very difficult. I know that only too well. As we age our metabolism slows down, therefore we need to exercise more and the aging means that it becomes more difficult for us to exercise.

As for eating - as the metabolism slows down it takes a smaller amount of food to keep us moving. Actually I would rather eat more, but I have to eat that smaller amount of food.

But the aging is mandatory, I haven't figured out a way to avoid it totally.

So I will just encourage you, and myself, to keep doing what we know we should be doing - exercise more and eat less - because there really is no alternative. We gotta keep doing what we gotta keep doing.

Will it help if I tell you that you at 76 are sort of a "youngster" compared to me at 83? LOL. I even wish I was 76! Haha!

Have a good day, and keep smiling -

Last edited by JoJoJo2; 04-19-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:20 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 294.5/276/190

Height: 5'2"

It wouldn't hurt to ask the manager of the local grocery to order WW products for you. He might be surprised with the results. If that doesn't work, I assume you can buy the products online. If you use a source like ebay you can usually get free shipping.
Complaining and whining are part of weight loss. I figure if this were fun, I would have done it when I was 24 years old. So, m'dear complain away! We understand.
Coralee
chicpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:34 PM   #12  

Height: 5'3"

I am 67, diabetic and I just started WW today too. If I can lose 2 lbs in 3 weeks, I'll be happy! GFY for taking steps to improve your health. I do wish WW had more focus on diabetics, but I think it will help me in general and I do know how to count carbs so hopefully can do it all...calories, fat, sodium, carbs and points.
maryea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:50 PM   #13  

MARYEA,
Since joining WW it has been a little difficult combining the diabetic diet and the WW plan. I sort have been bouncing back and forth between the two. Counting the carbs and eating our snack (mine, 3 times a day) those have to be included. I am having some success, joined March 16 and have lost a total of 6.5. I bought three books of Hungry Girl, lot of great recipes in there.

Last edited by damsel1934; 04-26-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:09 PM   #14  
Strong, Healthy, Happy

Bump up the protein, bump down the carbs.
BeeMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:13 AM   #15  

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by damsel1934 View Post
MARYEA,
Since joining WW it has been a little difficult combining the diabetic diet and the WW plan. I sort have been bouncing back and forth between the two. Counting the carbs and eating our snack (mine, 3 times a day) those have to be included. I am having some success, joined March 16 and have lost a total of 6.5. I bought three books of Hungry Girl, lot of great recipes in there.
Damsel, I have been taking a weightloss course called PeerTrainer...highly recommend it but I had to cancel tonight. Can't afford it. I have also cancelled my WW membership when it comes up again for payment. Just have to cut back as we want to buy a newer car. Anyway, what I was gong to say is that PeerTrainer calls the blending of more than one diet plan into one that works best for you Diet Fusion and they recommend it. A new term to me, but I like it cause no one plan seems to work for me. The reason I went on WW this time was to help me grasp how much fat I was getting and to choose foods better in that regard. Otherwise I prefer to count calories rather than points so I count use Calorie King (softeware..have had it a long time) to track calories and other nutrients (like carbs), but in my head I also count the points. Sometimes I make a note in Calorie King of how many points I got too. So this is my form of Diet Fusion.

Last edited by maryea; 06-06-2010 at 04:15 AM.
maryea is offline   Reply With Quote