Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-09-2010, 03:48 PM   #1  
Transforming through God

Default I need to just put the scale away...

I don't know why I do this to myself. I realize scale fluctuations are inevitable, even when one is on plan 100%, but it still gets me down to see weeks like this:

280.6 and so on... (not actually numbers but a close approximation!)

I feel like I only want to weigh once a week or once every two weeks but I am kind of afraid that I will have a very 'out of sight, out of mind' type attitude and just wander slowly off plan until BAM 10lbs back on.

I dunno, I guess I am just asking for support, commiseration, and to be told that of COURSE my scale is reading high because I am going to start my period like any SECOND and I want to eat everything that isn't nailed down (but I am not, I am being very on plan!).

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by MyBestYear; 04-09-2010 at 05:58 PM. Reason: edit the word days to weeks!
MyBestYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:09 PM   #2  

you are wasting a lot of mental energy on something that does not exist...

read any of dozens of threads on this topic for all the answers you want and honestly already know according to your OP.

Last week I ranged from 196 to 208 at various points throughout the week..and I don't care...I have learned that is totally natural for me.

What am I worried about instead? The fact that I had a piece of cake last night that was twice the size I should have eaten. That's a behavior issue, something I need to deal with that is addressable. If I continue to do that I will jeopordize my weight loss, if I correct the issue I improve my chances for success.

Don't worry about the scale, mental energy you waste on that should be spent on improving the behaviors that will eventually lead to the right results.

/rant
randomcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:15 PM   #3  
Counting away!

S/C/G: 217/211/122

Height: 5'3

I agree with random. Worry about what you can DO: exercise today, forget the sweets, drink your water...and worry less about something you have zero control over-- the number on the scale.

Keep doing the right things and results will follow!
parkedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 247/ticker/160

Height: 5'4

i wish i could go days without the scale because i beat myself up when i fluxuate (and believe me i do just like you) but the thing is im obsessed with it.
its become part of my routine and its so hard!

i wish there was no scale in the house, but the worst part of it is, ive actually moved the scale into my room.
Crystalynnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:25 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/154("Normal" BMI)

Height: 5'6"

While agree with random & parked...I TOTALLY KNOW HOW YOU FEEL!!! The only reason I weigh every day is to watch how my body reacts to certain foods and/or my cycle...I have accepted that the scale will go up & down daily (even if I'm 100% OP).....but it can be very frustrating if you concentrate only on that number...I have given up daily weighing for the month of April...only weighing on Fridays...while this too drove me crazy as this week was my first on this plan and I was sooo used to running to that scale every morning, but I'm sure I'll get used to this new plan also...

If you weighing every day is driving you crazy, then pick a special day to weigh each week...if you feel yourself wanting to weigh on another day before your chosen WI, then do it...if you think you'll fall into the "out of sight, out of mind", then continue to weigh every day...JUST DON'T TAKE IT TO HEART!!! our bodies do strange things and we'll all different...try to get accustomed to the way your body works

Hope that helped...just giving my thoughts...
KDM322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:26 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 163/161/127

Height: 5'7

I am going through the same thing.. ive just started about 2 weeks ago ..
Dmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:27 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 145/160/120

Height: 5'6

If you really can't stop weighing yourself, put the scale out of sight, and failing that throw the battery out

As long as you're on plan-the scale has no impact on the amount of weight you will lose obviously, but I think it's quite easy to confuse the 2 somehow.
serendipity907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:35 PM   #8  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

I recently became a daily weigher. I was a weekly weigher for my forst 30lbs, and I lost consistantly for a few months. I saw between 1.5 and 2lb losses every single week. When I got smaller, my weight loss slowed and came to a hault completely. As a weekly weigher, I'd weigh in, see the great loss, allow myself to cheat a bit and then get back on plan for the days before weigh in to see the loss again. This was working for me, but then the cheats started to balance out the on plan days and weight loss stopped.

So, in addition to upping exercise a bit and getting stricter about calorie counting, I became a daily weigher. Now of course, the scale doesn't tell the whole story. I didn't lose .4lbs today because I worked out really hard yesterday, or I didn't gain .4lbs because I snuck in an extra half ounce of chicken the night before. But, it does hold me more accountable because I realize I'm going to have to own up and look at a number every single day. It makes me stick to plan every single day (with a few slip ups).

You KNOW that fluctuations are normal. If the numbers you listed were somebody else's numbers, you wouldn't think anything of it...just natural daily fluctuation that is expected and unavoidable. But since they're your numbers, it's frustrating. Just try really hard to focus on the downward trend and blow off the fluctuations. I know it can tough (believe me, I know!), but those numbers will go down soon enough...and stay down
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:41 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

The scale reflect only the BRIEFEST MOMENT IN TIME! If you can't stay off of it, then throw it away. NOW! As randomcards indicated, you need to focus on changing your behavior set to one that is healthy. And regardless of what you are eating, getting on the scale umpteen times a diy is not healthy. It is obsessive. You need to remember the rule of burning more calories than your body uses. PERIOD. If you do that long enough and consistently, you will get smaller. Lose weight, sometimes inches, but in the big picture of things, you will decrease in size. Spend that scale hopping energy DOING smething that can actually help you to get smaller ,not just reflect a variable number that is only a small picture snapshot.

I weigh myself once a week, and that's it. Of course I want it to give me a number 10 pounds less than last week, but it isn't realistic to expect that. What I CAN expect is that over the course of time, more exercise and less food equals a smaller Barb.

If you have to look at numbers, get a pedometer. You can fasten it on first thing in the morning and check it as often as you want to. If you don't like what it says...guess what. You can walk more steps until it makes you happy. The scale will NEVER work that way in the course o a few hours or even a few days, weeks, or months.

Work on something you can influence, not on something that you cannot control.

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:47 PM   #10  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I went through this stage and it drove me bonkers. I finally convinced myself to stop doing it and I do not stress over the scales any longer. I hope you can get past this and not let it bring you down
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:53 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

I threw out my scale which was great, but now I have no idea what my weight is, to update my ticker!! LOL Choose your poison.
goodforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:19 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 171/153/136

Height: 5' 3"

I know what you are talking about my weight does that too but for some reason it doesnt bother me unless it goes over a certain number that week like say
I'll freak about the 160 but i dont worry about the 159 weird.
Maybe it dont bother me since ive pretty much been a daily weigher since i was 12 maybe younger but last year i started actually recording it every day. When it really started going up hill i freaked and didnt weigh for 3 weeks. I think the higher numbers motivate me to get out and exercise as long as they dont keep raising. during those 3 weeks i acted like i didnt care and was actually afraid to get on it i went from 166 to 173. Daily weighing keeps me in check. I also recently started recording how much exercise i do lately too. I am starting to associate the two and see what types of diff exercises work and can cycle them out when they aren't . If only i could get the recording food down pact...
JoLeNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:57 PM   #13  
Transforming through God

Thanks everyone!

Let's be clear though. I am not weighing myself multiple times a day, only once a day -- once in a while I will twice if there is a....toilet factor? LOL....

Reading up, it looks like all those numbers were one day, so I should edit to reflect that it is during the course of a week that I get those numbers!

I do tend to get upset though if the scale goes up from day to day though, because I KNOW I have been on plan. I know fluctuations are normal, but I also know that not looking at the scale is part of what got me this big... like la la la what scale tra la la I am fine.... BAM.

I will try to only weigh once a week for a couple weeks. I just have to work through the fear that weighing is part of my visual accountability, and if I don't weigh, I can tend to slip.

Argh I know part of this is my approaching TOM (like today or tomorrow) and the lovely accompanying hormones
MyBestYear is offline   Reply With Quote