Old 04-08-2010, 06:22 PM   #1  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

Unhappy Argh.... video bummer

Today I was feeling pretty good about myself, my losses, and my appearance - wearing 18 misses size pants and a top I haven't worn for a long time.

So I'm sitting in a meeting that is using IV (internet video) to reach another campus, and I see myself on the screen.

It burst my bubble, I assure you. I looked every bit as large as I did last year.

I know intellectually that 50 lbs is a lot of weight, but it just doesn't seem to show. I'm bummed. Not enough to go OP, but bummed nonetheless.
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:26 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

OK, here is my personal experience.

I am at goal. I've lost 125 lbs. I'm a size 8.

And I STILL don't look good on a webcam transmitted over the internet. Seriously - the angles are usually all wrong, they are low quality resulting in blurred edges, and the colors are all off, resulting in shadowing and other ugliness.

I spoke to a business-focused type individual once who conducted interviews via webcam to save on travel costs when interviewing applicants across the country. He said that no matter what, he'd never broadcast video back to the other person, because it is impossible to look good to the point that they'd lose respect for you as the interviewer.

Seriously - they're evil. Pay no mind to the image coming from the webcam!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:09 PM   #3  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

thanks, mandalinn...I avoid webcams too, for similar reasons.

The setup for the university is a bit better than your average webcam, unfortunately...it's hard to ignore your image when it's on a 40" HD TV, but I'll try!
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:33 PM   #4  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Oh yeah... webcams are awful! I cringe seeing myself just Skyping with my mom... no matter how much I weigh!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:26 PM   #5  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Oh, it shows. If you were to have a 50lb heavier version of you on the webcam, you'd see a difference. And even if YOU can't see that big of a difference, other people can. I think our brains have some sort of blockage against seeing ourselves objectively - I know I do.
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:16 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 129/120.6/118

Height: 5'4.5

Seeing a 2-D image of yourself will make anyone look bigger. It really flattens everything out, and they are typically not flattering. I agree that if you saw your 50-pound heavier self side-by-side, you would see a difference. Even the thinnest person looks bigger onscreen. "TV" is a tough medium.
LabMonkeyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:07 AM   #7  

Height: 5'11"

I look awful on the webcam, too. I'm often on there with co-workers from another site, and right after I lost weight they would email me after the meeting and say how great I looked (even though I was horrified). I really do think it's a brain block, combined with bad technology.

I went to Body Flow (mixture of yoga, pilates, and Tai Chi) with a co-worker. I had been feeling slim but I couldn't believe how fat and jiggly I looked in the mirror. I told her that it didn't look like I'd lost any weight at all; she thought I was bonkers to say that. I really have a hard time seeing myself with any accuracy.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote