Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-06-2010, 09:29 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 292/250/175

Height: 5'7''

Arrow How do YOU deal with set backs?

Hello everyone,

Coming off the Easter holiday, I'm sure I'm not the only one who went a little overboard this weekend. I had a plan to do my best, but instead I pretty much just ate whatever I wanted and now I'm dealing with the set back.

I ate too much on Saturday and Sunday, and Monday morning I did not weigh myself for fear of the numbers on the scale. I got back on track yesterday and will be adding in a little exercise to make up for the weekend splurge. I'll weigh myself next Monday and hope to have fixed the Easter damage!

How well did you all do over the weekend? If you stuck to your "plan", what helped you stay motivated? If you got a little carried away, what are you doing to get back on track?
Danielle2842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:34 AM   #2  

I believe it is critical to deal with "set-backs" both before and after they happen. Before you do what you can to avoid them through thinking and planning appropriately.

Obviously that doesn't always work

After I think the best thing you can do is to stay accountable. Get on the scale (or preferably if you calorie count, do your best estimate). That way when you look back you can see just how much it cost you. I can look back at my daily calorie intake and identify every single major spike and what caused it. That makes it a lot easier to recognize those traps in advance and avoid them again in the future.
randomcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:41 AM   #3  
Beautylicious

S/C/G: 148/144/135

Height: 5'6

I agree with getting ON the scale. You might be surprised. I had a rather salty weekend with lots of prepared food and various sauces, but I was still down 0.2 lbs. I think keeping track of loss or gain will keep you motivated, either way.

Just keep going, is my advice for setbacks. Nobody's perfect, we all have to deal with temptations. You can only do your best, and deal with whatever mistakes or little slips you might have.
CharlieBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:15 AM   #4  
Cute and fun to be with

S/C/G: 250/ticker/125

Height: 5' 5.5"

I knew I was going to go off plan on Sunday. I mitigated it by eating less on Thurs - Saturday, and exercising more both before and on Sunday.

I allowed myself one day off the scale so I would not be discouraged, but this morning I was right back on it. I need the accountability of daily weight ins, so I could only take one day off.

If you normally weigh once a week, then I can see waiting til next week to weight, but if you are a daily weigher, weigh now. You have had time to recover, not it is time to get back on the horse.
knobhdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:36 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

I stayed on plan, though at the higher end. I planned my Easter dinner to fit in. I had zero candy in the house. It would be more difficult if we had small kids at home, or if we had eaten Easter dinner at a restaurant or at a friend's house. I'm not ready to put myself at the mercy of anyone else's food and trying to guess at the calories, so I plan ahead and make sure I am in control of my own food.

I am completely on board with losing weight and every time there is a choice, I have 3 questions to answer. Is it on my plan and in my best interests to get to my goal? If yes, then go ahead. Is it not great, but still within my plan? If yes, then I have to decide if I want that piece of diet cake at 144 cals, or if I would rather have a pita/ham/spinach sammich 216 cals and lots of nutrition, or some low fat yogurt and fibre one cereal 130 cals and lots of nutrition. Then I make my choice. Is it right on off the plan? Then there's nothing to even consider. If it doesn't further my goal, then why on earth would I do it? I know that I am in control of what I put in my mouth. I can choose anything I want. Most of the time, it just isn't worth the "cost". I did have a piece of the diet cake for Easter dessert. Carefully measured. And one piece, not the whole cake. Everything else I ate that day was nutritionally significant, so I stayed on plan.

I guess for me, losing weight is the number one priority in my life right now. I treat it like it is. Even when I go to the store and smell the freshly baked bread and hot fried chicken. Even when I bicycle past DQ and smell their hamburgers and see the sign advertising yummy ice ream decadence. NO MATTER WHAT!

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:51 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 210/150/150/140

Height: 5'9"

Ah heck, I went TOTALLY off plan! Didn't mean to, started Saturday afternoon, while putting together 6 Easter baskets... Certainly didn't help that it was that TOM.

Darn you, fun sized snickers candy bars. I certainly didn't eat the whole bag, but one or two, now and then, throughout the day, adds up.

Then on Sunday, Easter dinner. Enough said. I did put out a salad, and roasted veggies...but the ham, scalloped potatoes, etc, won out.

I'm not upset with myself, or freaked out, however. I know one or two days will not dissolve my resolve! I drank tons of water yesterday, watched what I ate, and this week will be back at the gym, and life goes on.

It's a journey, and there will be bumps in the road. At times, we may even trip and fall. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and keep going!
Suzyszoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:04 AM   #7  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I did not do as well as I would have liked. It had nothing to do with eating Easter candy (I am fairly immune to that) but I was was visiting BF in the US and it always means getting off the plan. We may plan things (such as what we are going to do and those are mostly 'fun' things as we don't see each other often,due to distance). BF also does not seem to understand that I need to eat every 3 hours (he is the type of a person who eats 3 square meals in a day and claims that more frequent eating results in gain weight [he also working on losing weight]. He usually does not have fruit and veggies in the house and we end up eating out. Then we also had to visit his family on Easter Sunday and I was flying back home that evening. I won't go into details because this would turn into a long post, I will just say that at his mom's, there was nothing for us to eat other than boiled eggs (we already had eggs and turkey bacon for breakfast that day) and hot cross buns (plus some other equally awful pastries). And I had ahead of me a 2 hour waiting at the airport plus and hour and a half in the air, arriving back home at night with no chance to buy anywhere as everything would be long closed.

I am not saying I am completely free of guilt. I will have to talk to him about this and set some rules for the next time, and be more vigilant in cooking at home (when at his place) rather than eating out, and also making sure that I have some healthy snack to take with me no matter where we go to tide me over. At least I did manage to get a decent workout both on Friday and Sunday (although not on Saturday).

But, the question is one deals with setbacks. I am refusing to get on the scale - I weight myself at the end of each month - I am back on track in terms of eating and exercise and I am sure it will be ok.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:02 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/ticker/120

Height: 5'2

I enjoyed myself to the fullest extent this weekend and I don't regret it for a second. I got on the scale today and lost the pound of water weight I had put on since friday. Sunday I went to an easter brunch and my aunt made the most amazing food and then for dinner my mom made potato salad, my absolute favorite. Now it's right back on the wagon and I walked extra long last night.I don't think I set myself back at all and I would be more unhappy if I didn't allow myself to enjoy the food.
Katieee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:18 PM   #9  

I've found the best thing is this..I do this a lot and have never gained anything.

If you typically eat a maintenace calorie intake every week, and if you know you are going to eat over a little one or two days out of the week (like Saturday or Sunday), then just reduce your calories earlier in the week to cancel it out. So if you eat 500 calories over maintenance on Saturday, then 500 over maintenance on Sunday, that's 1000 extra calories you've consumed. So, eat 500 calories less on Tuesday and Thursday, or even 200 calories less monday through friday, equaling a 1,000 deficit in five days. That will prevent any weight gain, but also prevent any weight loss if you're trying to lose. I guess this would work best for someone trying to maintain rather than lose. Just don't eat maintenance Monday through Friday, then consume an extra 1,000 over the weekend. It would not gain you a full pound as 3,500 cals equal a pound but you would gain a little bit, and eventually doing that too much will add up.
shenfan90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:23 PM   #10  
Sammie Fields

S/C/G: 90kg

Height: 182cm

Weeeell if you let setbacks affect you then you'll never lose weight. Methinks you have to learn to forgive yourself and just carry on. It's when you don't let setbacks affect you and simply carry on with your exercise/diet routine after the setback, then your occasional tendancy to have a setback will have little or no power over your body at all ^^
sammiefields2512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:49 PM   #11  
Choose your hard...

S/C/G: 250/194/130

Height: 5' 2"

I didn't eat any easter candy, just as I had planned. I didn't have one little morsel, lick, or nibble. However, I did go off plan horrible yesterday. Breakfast was normal Kashi Cereal and milk. Lunch I had chick-fil-a sandwich and fries. (Not normal). Then a few hours later I had cheese fries. Then for dinner I had chicken wings and shocker... french fries again. So, I am really diasppointed in myself. That's the worst I have gotten off plan since I started. So now I am going to get back on plan.

The best way to deal with set backs is to just keep moving forward. Don't turn your set back into a reason to quit the diet. I'm going to exercise today and eat healthy. I'm not going to quit just because I ate a bunch of junk yesterday. I'm going to learn from it.
Asherdoodles87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:16 PM   #12  
MsWannaBSlim

S/C/G: 230/179/159 lbs

Height: 5' 4"

Thanks for asking the question. Lord knows I am in need of the exact same advice. Was down to 189 in January, but I broke 4 of my toes badly and just able to exercise again. I know that's a pretty good excuse to not do strenous cardio, but being a champion excuse maker I also horked out on anything and everything and now I'm up 15 lbs

I should have jumped on the scale at least once a week to monitor my weight instead of waiting until this morning. I'm sure that would have helped deter a few lbs.

Anyway, I'm starting up again. Today is day 1 of being back on track. Hope to shed those 15 lbs by end of May at latest. So, once again, thanks for the post - definitely advice well used after Easter time!

Best of luck all!
MsWannaBSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:02 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

I keep getting on the scale every day and putting all my food into Fitday, regardless of how far off plan I go.

I think that actually helps me because I see that even on a day that seemed crazy, I really only went a few hundred calories over plan (probably that won't be true if you eat restaurant food but even going crazy at home is limited for me these days since I don't keep much bad stuff around). And usually the scale isn't up all that much, so it's an amount that doesn't send me completely around the bend.

I think if I didn't give myself that accountability, then I'd probably just keep making bad choices instead of getting back on plan.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:44 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 292/250/175

Height: 5'7''

Thank you all so much for your replies! It really motivates and inspires me to hear the ways each of you overcome small set backs - or even PREVENT them in the first place! I'm so glad I came to this board for support, it's helping A LOT!! :-) THANK YOU!
Danielle2842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:32 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 186/155/maintaining

Height: 5'4"

I've found that it's not really hard anymore for me to stay on plan because my body has adapted to my healthier eating habits. I got equal portions of veggies, turkey, and dressing, and worked my way around my plate slowly eating the healthiest items first. By the time I got to the more fattening things like dressing and my dinner roll, I was almost full! Even without getting seconds, I was one of the last to leave the table, and I enjoyed every bite.

Candy-wise, I had a few pieces each Sunday and Monday and I counted them in my daily plan. I also had a small piece of cake on Sunday (I chose one from the middle so there was less icing, and again, I counted it).

I've really been amazed how much less I crave sweets and junk now that I've stuck to my healthier eating plan. I just feel like I have less cravings in general. I don't miss soda at all anymore, and I would have sworn I could never, ever give THAT up!
stella1609 is offline   Reply With Quote