Old 03-28-2010, 12:09 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 175/169/145

Default Need some help.

Hello everyone,

I am in need of some help. I am a 44 y/o woman and I work from my home office. I have gained 30 1bs in the last 2 years. I want to lose weight but my mind is not cooperating. Any encouragement would be appreciated. I am hoping that I can get motivation from this board. I haven't been on here in several years. Also, where do I get one of the weight loss meters?
lyv33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:26 AM   #2  
It's about time

S/C/G: 300/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Good luck! I'm new here, but I believe you need 20 posts to have a ticker (and be here 20 days, but you've got that covered). Congrats on starting your diet!
ParadiseFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:12 AM   #3  

Well, I'll work on the tracker. But what I really need is the motivation to stay on course.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:37 AM   #4  
Deb

S/C/G: 257/240/150

jump on the weekly chatter thread...check in there daily...be accountable, and pull motivation from others who are in the zone we all go in and out of cycles...draw strength where others have it, and get excited and motivated to make the changes you need to make
lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:29 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Start small and work your way up. I find that setting activity goals that I can achieve really help me stay motivated. Try to find an activity that you enjoy so you'll be more likely to do it. There's definitely a lot of chicks here who are happy to support your efforts!

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:03 PM   #6  

Thanks for the support. I am going to set a goal of walking on my treadmill once a day for at least 30 minutes. I also have a problem with grazing and portion control. So, I went to the grocery and bought some frozen dinners for lunch and for dinner because I have tried it without using them and I just overeat. I think that this will at least help some.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:06 PM   #7  

Oh, I almost forgot to ask. How often do you weigh yourselves? I am thinking weekly.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:21 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 175/151/125

Default Yo-yo-ing

I will say that be in my mid-40s has definitely affected my dieting success. Ten years ago, I could lose 10 pounds a couple of weeks. Now it seems like it takes much longer and -- for me at least -- the longer it takes, the more likely I am to cheat.

I have just stocked by freezer with boxed, frozen diet foods in the hopes of trying to keep on track.

I do forget about my successes, however, and we should NEVER do that. I quit smoking about 6 months ago and that may have affected my weight loss, too. From 175 to 160...then quit smoking....then back up to 165....then down to 155....then later after a break down to 148....now back up to 157.

During all of this yo-yo-ing, I kept forgetting about my no-smoking success.

While you're doing try to think about something that you are doing where you feel you've really made a long-term change...and hold on to that!
Dontweightmedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:27 PM   #9  

Dontweighmedown, your weight loss is really great even if you are doing some yo-yoing and good for you and your loved ones on having stopped smoking. You will add years onto your life for that.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:16 AM   #10  
Deb

S/C/G: 257/240/150

some of us do it weekly (recommended) - so you don't worry about the daily fluctuations

some of us do it daily so you understand small fluctuations are okay and normal (me)

some of us avoid scales totally - so they don't obsess

Last edited by lambchop; 03-29-2010 at 08:16 AM. Reason: .
lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:25 AM   #11  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

i'm a daily weigher, not sure if that's good or bad. I need to check daily to be sure I am on track and I've also learned more about how my body reacts to certain things that way. You have to figure out what works for you. Wishing you much success!
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:27 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 248.8/232.2/135

Height: 5'8"

Hi, lyv33, welcome back. In terms of getting your weight loss journey going, here's my advice: First, pick a plan that you can live with for the long haul. In my opinion, anything that is too restrictive is difficult to do for any extended period of time and you are setting yourself up for failure. In the beginning, just focus on the week ahead of you and tell yourself that you will stick with your plan for one week. Once you do that, you will see results and the momentum will build each day you are successful. At some point, you won't want to stop because you are making progress. If you slip up along the say (which almost everyone does at some point), don't beat yourself up and don't let that slip up be an excuse for a backslide. Get back on your plan immediately and keep going. As some here like to say, it is persistence, not perfection, that will get you to your goal.

In terms of weighing, I generally weigh once a week. In the past, when I weighed myself every day, it was easy to get discouraged by the normal, daily fluctuations of weight loss and I got derailed. But, that being said, there are a lot of people here who weigh daily without any issues at all. You have to do what works for you.

I wish you the best of luck on your wieght loss journey and I am glad you are joining us!

Cheers,

J

Last edited by LotusMama; 03-30-2010 at 12:05 AM.
LotusMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:04 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 180/176/145

Height: 5'6'

Default Hi Ivy!

Hi Ivy!

I am new to the site but I do want to encourage you. I started my journey last week so I don't have a tickler yet...but i have been very encouraged by the posts I have been reading.

I am looking forward to sharing the journey with you.
FindingMeAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:36 AM   #14  
getting back on track

S/C/G: 187/172/150

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onmyway View Post
i'm a daily weigher, not sure if that's good or bad. I need to check daily to be sure I am on track and I've also learned more about how my body reacts to certain things that way. You have to figure out what works for you. Wishing you much success!
I must say that the last time I finally lost weight was when I said "forget it" and stopped weighing myself. I became a personal trainer after and that was one of the things I would tell my clients. I would drive myself crazy with the scale... to the point of weighing before and after bathroom trips and when I saw that I would weigh more AFTER (and that made no sense to me) I said ENOUGH.

Here is the thing..."that which you think about you bring about" and the more we think about our weight the more we get weight. I started meditating and focusing on other things and before I knew it the weight was dropping. I have fallen of the wagon sort of speak, and gotten back to old bad habits so I need to start with loving me more and any way or shape that I am now... and the rest just falls into place.

Get healthy more and focus on weight less...if that makes sense.
deinekatze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:46 AM   #15  
getting back on track

S/C/G: 187/172/150

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontweightmedown View Post
I will say that be in my mid-40s has definitely affected my dieting success. Ten years ago, I could lose 10 pounds a couple of weeks. Now it seems like it takes much longer and -- for me at least -- the longer it takes, the more likely I am to cheat.

I have just stocked by freezer with boxed, frozen diet foods in the hopes of trying to keep on track.

I do forget about my successes, however, and we should NEVER do that. I quit smoking about 6 months ago and that may have affected my weight loss, too. From 175 to 160...then quit smoking....then back up to 165....then down to 155....then later after a break down to 148....now back up to 157.

During all of this yo-yo-ing, I kept forgetting about my no-smoking success.

While you're doing try to think about something that you are doing where you feel you've really made a long-term change...and hold on to that!
Dontweightmedown, I feel your pain on the age thing...hormones SUCK! hahaha, that's what did it to me this time...stress did a number on me and I became estrogen Dominant (and fixing it now) When women start their change that is what happens.

I've been working with a Naturopath and have learned about some things too... so, be careful with the frozen dinners and preservatives they may contain. Just monitor all of that.

Another big AHA for me was discovering that SOY is not necessarily my friend ans it PROMOTES more estrogen and up goes the weight.

Look up the anti-estrogenic diet and/or estrogen dominance and see if you fall into that category (saying that because you mentioned your age) and watch for the hidden traps we are constantly exposed to. Keep u p the good work ...and as a personal trainer I say to all of you... it's a lifestyle change... The reason Diets fail is because we all think that once we reach our goals we can go back to eating poorly again... so chose a plan you can stick to for life
deinekatze is offline   Reply With Quote