Old 03-31-2010, 10:00 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #16

Good morning everyone. Hope your weather is as nice as ours is. It beautiful here this morning. In fact, we are supposed to now have 80 degree weather until we leave and beautiful weather in Atlanta as well and no rain for the ballgame, yeah!

Maggie: I didn't realize your outdoor dog was giving you so much trouble either. They say that dogs that do that are bored. I hope her new owner is prepared! lol

Susan: We had sirloin on the grill last night and Jack had hashbrowns and corn on the cob and I just had corn on the cob. I don't eat corn much because I was afraid of my colon business, but I read several articles about how they are now saying seeds, nuts, corn stuff like that are no longer taboo with people having diverticulitis. If the patient tolerates it then they can eat it. I digress though. Jack and I have this long running rib at each other about corn on the cob. I told him I was going to take pictures of my eaten ear and his and take a poll as to which ear most people's corn would look like. His looks like something attacked it with chunks out here and there and mine is completely clean. He says I am ocd that I even move the cob across as I eat. Anyway, we laugh a lot about it because mine is all neat and clean and his frankly is a mess! I always take a book, knitting or whatever, but I still hate sitting around for long periods of time. I always feel I have so much I could be doing instead!

Jean: I think the dr that developed SBD has a new book out where he has tweaked it. I tried the diet but couldn't stay on it. I think it is pretty well balanced, but it can be structured. Yikes, I would hate to be caught like you guys are with regards to glasses and such. Walmart is no bargain when it comes to contacts, that's for sure. Mine were $15 a box more expensive at Walmart's than online. I just purchased 2 of one eye and 1 of the other to use up my insurance allowance and bought the rest online.

Here is an Easter picture of Jackson. Can you believe how big he is getting and he won't be three until June 10! I can't even imagine how big he will be by the time we see him in July.

I best get to the chores and such. You all have a great day. Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jacksoneaster2.jpg (23.5 KB, 7 views)
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:31 AM   #2  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining brightly and it is supposed to be another 70+ degree day in my corner of the world. I've already picked up the kitchen and sorted through a pile of catalogs to pitch. Catalogs and magazines sure pile up fast.

"Gma" -- What a cute picture of Jackson! Bob eats his corn on the cob going around and I eat mine going across the row first. I never thought about that. I am so ready for the first crop of corn!

I've got to get busy and do some corner dusting. The sun is coming in at a different angle and guess I missed a few spots the last time I dusted.

Have a wonderful Wednesday and remember to !

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:48 PM   #3  

Good evening, ladies. A very nice day in the 70s. I got out and trimmed the rose bushes and cleaned out the flower beds. Scott can dig them for me and I can get my flowers in. They are available all over now.

Had library books and books on DVD to take back to 2 libraries today and then a quick Walmart run to get hair color, treats for cupid and some nails.

Have you heard of www.FlyLady.net? It's a website for people who are cleaning routine challenged so I know Faye wouldn't need to go there. I am going to try it. You get an email every day and she has nice ways of getting you to get organized and a regular routine for doing things. I clean, but only when the spirit moves me and my spare room is a clutter haven right now. I know if I get organized, I'll be able to do things more logically and have a clean house in less time.

I pressed my clothes today for retreat. That's a rare occurence, but I do want to look nice.

Faye, I eat the ear of corn cleanly in rows. Stan ate like Jack...a mess. Jackson is so big already...a basketball player in the making.

Jean, How's the water situation now that stuff has melted? I don't subscribe to that many magazines anymore, but they sure mount up. Quilters are always passing magazines around.

Tomorrow is work, dinner with my friends and First Thursday Quilting Bee.

Have a good evening.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:32 AM   #4  

Good morning all! Up early this morning so we can get everything done for the trip. As soon as Jack gets back from getting the spring oil change thingy I am taking laundry to the laundromat and he is taking the grand marquis and going and getting a haircut. I am then off to get nails done and run errands.

Jean: How is Bob's shoulder doing? Jack is pain free at the moment so I hope that continues throughout the trip. His MRI is scheduled for the 7th the day after we get back then back to the ortho doctor on Friday the 9th so see what is wrong with it. Jack says I remind him of the old Heckle and Jeckle cartoons where there eat corn like an old typewriter, left to right, turn left to right, etc. My catalogues, except for the clothing ones have slowed down since the holiday is over. Come October they will be coming in droves again I imagine. You buy one thing from them and you are on their mailing list for life I think.

Susan: I have seen the Flylady website and it is a great site for people who have organizational issues and can't seem to ever get things done. I basically use their train of thought. I do clean differently than I used to. I used to do it room by room but now do it one floor a day and I will do all the mopping at once and all the vacuuming at once, etc. I usually clean my downstairs bathroom, then the dining room table, which is ceramic tile on top, then the microwave because I forget the darn thing if I don't then, clean mirrors, plastic surfaces, tv etc with window cleaner, then dust the whole place, then I vacuum all the rug surfaces, then do the kitchen counters, stove, fridge, etc, then sweep everything then mop last. I have one of those steam mop things and I really like it. I pretty much follow the same routine for upstairs. Jack's office gets a cursory swipe because he gets all prissy about his office. I have a linen pair of capris that have to be pressed that I am wearing tomorrow, but that will come sometime this evening when things settle down. We will pack this evening and get most of it out to the car.

You all have a wonderful holiday weekend! I will talk to you when we get back! Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:37 AM   #5  

Good Morning! The sun is hiding behind some clouds this morning -- I guess the day will be partly sunny and warm again. I have to iron a black shirt for Bob to wear tonight; his group is singing in the Maunday Thursday program. Also need to make another grocery run either this afternoon or tomorrow morning.

Susan -- I have flowers coming up too! Bob cleaned out the dead stuff and was surprised to see the new stems coming up already. I have visited Flylady and think I will try her again. I got tired of the daily emails and would get behind; now that I'm not working I should be able to keep up with her! Our neighbor behind us still has a rather large pile of snow tucked in a corner where the sun never hits it. It must be frozen solid because it has survived our warmer days. The lake is now completely open too. I still have a trickle of water running to the drain in the laundry room. I think the furnace running has helped dry up the other damp spots. I know you will enjoy your quilting retreat . . . in your freshly ironed clothes!

"Gma" -- You have a busy day planned! Bob's shoulder is causing him no pain whatsoever and now he can get his arm all the way up, if he takes it slowly. He even painted the ceiling spots where the water leaked through. I'm not sure he could paint the whole ceiling but he said his shoulder didn't hurt after just doing the small areas. I guess I am an "old typewriter" too! You and Jack have a wonderful time on your trip! I will keep my finger crossed that the Cubs win their game!

I'm off to get started on my list! The fur/dust bunnies are multiplying as I type! Have a GREAT day!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 04-01-2010, 12:21 PM   #6  
Thin Within

Talking Thursday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS
I am distraught (not really). I typed a nice long message and it “poofed” off the screen right in front of my eyes. AH but here I am again attempting to re-do it.

We went on a quest yesterday for suitable lighting that could be hung from chains in front of the kitchen window where my herbs sit on a shelf in pots. Do you think that any of the three nurseries would have grow lighting? Nope, they sure didn’t. We tried the lighting warehouse that has a two inch thick catalogue and they don’t have grow lighting. We did find grow light bulbs at Home Depot and then track lighting that could be cut down to fit the space we want to install it in, which is in between two cupboards in front of a window overlooking a covered patio. We were all over town hunting up parts for this project. We found a 24 inch long grow bulb but not a fixture suitable to hang for it to live in. The track lighting will do just fine, I hope. In my research I found they said to hang the lighting 16 inches above the plants and another said to hang it 6 inches above the plants so I guess we will hang our lighting 10 inches above the plants. I have seven pots of plants sitting on the shelf getting acclimated to being indoors. I open the kitchen window so they get fresh air. Another thing that is hard to get here in the heartland is canned pumpkin. They only sell it around Thanksgiving and not any other time of the year. The guy at the market today said they only sold 3 cans during the year. I probably bought all three cans. Pumpkin. Guess these folks don’t know pumpkin muffins and buy frozen pies. And Panko. Will is out on a quest as I type trying to find some Panko. I have got to have Panko. I should make a list of things we can’t get here and when we go to a “big city” we can probably fill it there. Next time we go to Red Lobster. OH I do hope Dillans has Panko. Corn, well folks Will & I both eat it around the cob and clean the cob. That’s the proper way.

DONNA FAYE How fun it must be to be getting all ready to see your Cubbies. I wish I were going there. My Dodgers are in trouble ~ their owners are getting a divorce and who knows what will happen to the team. Who gets the team? That little boy in the rabbits lap is sure a cutie.

JEAN How nice for you that your basement is drying out so quickly. I have a friend that uses Flylady and gets it done. It is wonderful that Bob is pain free now. He just needs to take it easy now a bit. The cabin now gets its yearly clean up for the season of fun in the sun.

SUSAN Your upcoming plans sound like they will be enjoyable. It is nice that you participate in things of that sort.

Will just called me to say that Dillans does have Panko and he is getting two boxes. Horrah. And that they don't have pumpkin because of the floods. Guess that makes sense. So I will put away my muffin recipe to make another day. Who would have thought one couldn't buy canned pumpkin. You know, I like pumpkin smoothies also.

Last edited by Maggie; 04-01-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:55 PM   #7  
Thin Within

Talking Back At Ya

GOOD LATE EVENING MAGNOLIAS

Hard to believe this is the first of a brand new month. April 1. Good evening Magnolias. Just thought I’d check in here while I was in the room. Well it is almost 10:30 pm this day. One of the lights over my herbs quit after being on 10 minutes so had to get a new one. I really didn’t know how much area they covered until it got dark outside and they are covering the plants, out the window and the sink area in the kitchen also, so I guess I have good coverage. We are having a gulley washer rain right now with thunder and lightening. Quite a show and Ragg Mopp doesn’t like it. Will brought home a nice big pot full of blooming daffodils for me when he went to get me another grow bulb. He will plant the bulbs when the flowers are gone. I love daffodils. He also got a nice tomato plant and one of those upside down patio growers for tomatoes. They make them for some other veggies also. It will be interesting to see how it does produce nice plump tomatoes for us. Ah the storm has passed. May circle around again though ~ usually does here in the Heartland. Will also brought home a basket of red ripe strawberries grown in CA and every one was ripe with no bad ones lurking at the bottom. I made strawberry short cakes which made a lovely dessert a couple of hours after we had a nice roast (which I had crock potted during the day) dinner. Yummy even if I do say so myself. Got good left- overs to have a rerun with tomorrow. Hope everyone has a peaceful sleep this night.

Type at y’all later

Old 04-02-2010, 09:34 AM   #8  

Good Morning, Flowers! I have lots to do today since our "Easter" is tomorrow. The sun is shining for right now and it's a "warm" 64 degrees outside. I have windows open! I need to go to the grocery store and pick up my meat that I ordered plus a couple other things that I wanted to be fresh. I'm sure there will be something to vacuum before the day is over.

Maggie -- Hope you find the Panko you are looking for. I checked in one store and finally asked -- the manager had never heard of it. I'm glad you have your grow lights working -- too bad one fizzled so quickly. I looked at strawberries and they were a sad looking bunch, plus the price was $4.29 a pound! Grapes are still sky high but they do look good. I hope your rain doesn't come our way although we are supposed to get a 'shower' sometime today. I'm hoping tomorrow will be nice so we can take the kids to the park.

Hope you all have a GREAT day and enjoy the weekend!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 04-02-2010, 11:10 AM   #9  

Good morning, ladies. It's warm today heading for the 80s.

I have the windows open and the heat off. Today is trash day and I got inspired and not only put out my regular trash but 6 bags from the shed. I'm throwing out everything in there and it is packed. Stan saved everything - old coffee pots, toaster oven, microwave. You name it, it's in there. My goal is to completely empty it and sweep it out. Then I can put the trash cans in there and the racoons can't get into them. What a plan. This inspiration came from Fly Lady already.

Jean, Enjoy your Easter tomorrow. I'm going to Easter Vigil tomorrow night. Then I can sleep in Sunday, get up and read the paper, eat breakfast, load the car and be off to Retreat. Glory and I are going to stop at the Crab Shack for lunch and then the Virginia Diner for dinner (it's the only thing anywhere near retreat). I can hardly wait to get on the road...and then I'll be in a hurry to get home and see my freshly painted interior. I'm off the rest of next week and so I'm going to make new curtains.

I had quilting bee last night. Had one slice of pepperoni pizza for dinner with a salad. Satisfies the craving and isn't too bad point wise.

I am really feeling so much better on this study medication. I just noticed this morning the fatigue that has plagued my days for so many, many months is gone. I have energy and breath to do things. If I keep feeling like this, I'm going to be like a junky looking for a fix when the trial is over. It's available in Europe, but the FDA can take so long to approve a drug here, even after the trials are over.

Maggie, it'll be so nice to have fresh herbs growing in your kitchen. I love daffodils. Cupid doesn't like storms, either.

I'm going to have to go get a new microwave today. Mine still works great but the enamel, plastic, or whatever the coating is inside is peeling off and the metal is starting to show and I'm afraid it'll start arcing and catch on fire so it is out on the curb today.

Have a great day!
Old 04-02-2010, 01:03 PM   #10  

Susan -- I'm glad to see you today! I wasn't sure when you were leaving for your retreat. A "cleaned out" shed is a good project to have done. We have one of those at the lake; Bob's dad never threw anything out either. We did some tossing last summer but there is lots more to go. Will Cupid make up with your painter since you will be gone? Did you choose different colors from the last time? I'm glad you are feeling so much better! You just might have to make a trip to Europe in search of the new meds. We know a young man who has a type of cancer (tumors that grow on/in different bones and organs). He started treatment here and his oncologist recommended going to Switzerland because their treatment for this cancer has a 90% success rate and it isn't available in the U.S. yet. Now that is sad; you'd think the FDA would get a clue. He is a manager for Menards and the various places they have lived have had fund raisers to help with their expenses. He's had 2 treatments, 2 months apart, and so far they have been successful. I know you and Glory enjoy each other's company and will enjoy the retreat together.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:50 PM   #11  

Good afternoon, ladies! In the 70s and sunny today.

Went to WW this morning and down .2, not much but it is down. Nothing fun today, taking down curtains, blinds, pictures etc. for the painter.

Jean, We are leaving at noon tomorrow. Cupid won't make up with anyone. My friends have been coming here all the time he has been here and he won't come downstairs when they are here and if they go upstairs to my sewing room he hides. It seems we always get drugs last in the US. I guess the FDA is waiting to see how many die in other countries. It's a shame because many suffer needlessly.

If I don't get in tomorrow before I leave, have a Happy Easter!
Old 04-03-2010, 04:38 PM   #12  
Thin Within

Talking Saturday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a sunny windy day here in the Heartland. Will got some things done to the garden plot. He is using raised boxes which will be so much easier to care for when the plants get big and then be ready to harvest. Also planted a couple bushes of blackberries, blueberries and raspberries. We love berries and they do freeze so well for use year round. My herbs are happy and when they start putting out new growth I can start harvesting some to use. Ragg Mopp loves having his backyard all to himself again. Will grilled some burgers this day. When he gets the Webber going I always send out many more patties than we use for a meal so we have them for later for a nice grilled burger when we want. We do love to cook out doors. Out in CA we did it year round. Here the grill doesn't work so good when it is blowing snow.

JEAN I do have Panko now and am so happy. Will found it at a market and got me two boxes. I opened one and dumped it into my container and stored the other. Looks like it will be just the two of us for a few days. With both Donna Faye and Susan out and about.

SUSAN Be careful as you travel to a good time. How nice to get your place painted while you are gone. Your pet can just hide and not bother. Ole Ragg Mopp would want to help and he would come out looking like the wall. Probably trip the painter and get a pail dumped on him.

DONNA FAYE I just know you are out and about enjoying yourself. Be safe and come home and tell us all about it.

Everyone have a lovely Easter day tomorrow.

Old 04-04-2010, 04:30 PM   #13  

Happy Easter, Flowers! The sun has been in and out today; right now it is "out." We have stained glass windows on the the east, south, and west walls of our church; each depicts a different Bible story scene. The sun was shining this morning and the east windows were just glowing. Our windows are priceless and could never be replaced so we really appreciate their beauty. After church we went out for breakfast, then home to read the papers and start on the laundry. Bob's had a couple of cat naps and I am trying to keep busy so I don't crash if I sit down for a few minutes.

Beth did a fun thing with the eggs this year. Each child had a different color of egg to search for and there were 8 eggs for each child. One egg held a button and when they found that egg, they had to bring it to Beth. Their "prize" was a $5 gift card to WM. Each gift card had a picture of a toy or video; the kids were so excited.

Susan -- Congrats on another .2# gone forever! Remember that any loss is a GREAT loss and the scale is going in the right direction! Our very first cat would hide when we had anyone besides family in the house. If she knew someone didn't like cats she would stare at them from across the room, hiss, and then take off. I hope you are having a GREAT time!

Maggie -- A grilled hamburger sounds good . . that just might be supper tonight. We have grilled during the winter months but this year the grill ended up in a pile of snow. Bob moved it off the patio so he could blow snow and the snow piles got ahead of him. I'm glad Will was able to get Panko for you.

"Gma" -- If the game is today, have fun. If not, I hope they won yesterday!

It's time to change washer loads so I'm off. I always think of my grandma when I do laundry on Sunday because she adhered to Sunday being a "day of rest!" Of course she didn't have an automatic washer nor did she work outside the home. Enjoy the rest of your day and have a marvelous Monday tomorrow!

Jean -- in Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 04-04-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:41 PM   #14  
Thin Within

Talking Easter Sunday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

What a beautiful day it is in the Heartland this Sunday. After we had lunch we went shopping. We just got back from getting some more plants. Picked up some asparagus which we are going to give it it's own box to live in. Probably won't get much this year but will have lots next year. Will had built a box around the apple tree and we got some soil to fill it today and planted eight strawberry plants. They love living around hard wood so that is a perfect place for them. I remember we did that when we lived in SD and the strawberries were the best ever. We had to plant the other berries in different parts of the yard so they won't cross polinate. I am excited about the asparagus plants though. We both love asparagus. So far in the garden we have planted green onions, sugar snap pees and a couple kinds of tomatoes. We have a lot more to get planted but it is early yet. Got to have a corn patch.

JEAN Your post wasn't there when I posted and now it is so I will say HOWDY to you. What Beth did with those eggs was a brilliant idea. She is to be commended for that, what a gal (but she has really nice parrents). Those egg hunts are so fun for the kids and grownups that watch both.

Hope all is well with all of you other Magnolias.

Last edited by Maggie; 04-04-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:26 AM   #15  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining for the moment, but it has dropped back down into the 30s for temperatures this morning. I plan to get outside and walk before the rain begins. Bob has an out-of-town meeting today so I won't see him until around late afternoon or early evening. I need to vacuum up the crumbs/dirt from the kids playing outside on Saturday, and continue with the laundry chores. The ironing pile is about ready to fall over.

Maggie -- Bob likes asparagus, but it is not my favorite. How do you fix it? Your garden plan sounds like it is coming right along. Years ago, when we had a garden in our previous yard, Bob always said we planted a row for us and a row for the bunnies. One year I goofed and bought pole beans and that was fun.

I need to get busy and get started on my "to do" list. I noticed the bread is almost gone so another trip to the grocery store.

Have a marvelous Monday today!

Jean -- from Iowa!