Old 04-01-2010, 09:01 PM   #1  

Default Eating enough calories

Okay, so I have been tracking my calories on Sparkpeople and have a goal of 2000-2200 per day. Unfortunately, most every day while eating healthy I am way under, like more than 500 under. I do have a history of anorexia, but am currently eating healthy and exercising normally but I can't seem to eat enough calories to break the starvation plateau which of course for me is very high. I eat primarily veggies and lean protein and soy milk. Anyone have suggestions to help me get closer to the calorie limit without feeling like I'm eating junk food?
tiggergirl9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:21 PM   #2  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

eat more healthy fats...nuts add up quick. Avocado too. Drizzle olive oil on things. Maybe some full fat dairy products or cheese?
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:23 PM   #3  

Try adding in some avocados. They are delicious (in my opinion) and are SO healthy for you. A whole one has around 300 calories.
tiffany0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:37 PM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggergirl9 View Post
Okay, so I have been tracking my calories on Sparkpeople and have a goal of 2000-2200 per day. Unfortunately, most every day while eating healthy I am way under, like more than 500 under. I do have a history of anorexia, but am currently eating healthy and exercising normally but I can't seem to eat enough calories to break the starvation plateau which of course for me is very high. I eat primarily veggies and lean protein and soy milk. Anyone have suggestions to help me get closer to the calorie limit without feeling like I'm eating junk food?
Starvation plateau? I'm not sure what you mean by this...

Anyway, 2200 calories may just be a bit much to shoot for as it is. *Many* people can not and will not lose steadily on that number, as it's quite high and most likely will not provide you with a calorie DEFICIT.

Perhaps you're better off aiming for 1800 calories. Seems as if that's what you're ingesting anyway.

I do agree with the others though. Nuts, avocado, olive oil - all nutritious higher calorie foods. Peanut butter. They add up and QUICK.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:06 AM   #5  

Finally at the age of 30 I braved trying an avocado at your suggestions...after being sure I hated them from a few bad experiences with guacamole as a child. Soooo, yeah they taste fine, really not much like anything lol. Thank you sisters for opening up my food world one more inch
tiggergirl9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:20 AM   #6  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I agree... even at 257 I would have maintained on 2,000... I have always had good luck in the 1300-1700 range.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:31 AM   #7  

If you eat good food then you should not worry about the calories, but if you drink a lot of sugar juice and eat a lot of fried things than you are not eating good food.
baseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:41 AM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseter View Post
If you eat good food then you should not worry about the calories, but if you drink a lot of sugar juice and eat a lot of fried things than you are not eating good food.
Oh no, no, no, no - I STRONGLY, STRONGLY, STRONGLY disagree. *Good food* has calories too and lots of em'. You can easily, easily take in more calories than is needed by eating only *good foods*.

Overfeeding yourself is overfeeding yourself. You can eat too much of a *good* thing.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:25 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseter View Post
I gained 12# over 18 months eating good foods.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:52 PM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen925 View Post
I gained 12# over 18 months eating good foods.
I've gained at least as much as that in a matter of weeks eating *good foods*.

For me, it's the COMBINATION of the *good foods* with the built in accountability and PORTION control that comes with calorie counting.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:13 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

To the original poster -- your calorie goal sounds high to me, but everyone is different and if you find you can lose at a satisfactory rate while eating 2000-2200 calories, then more power to you. I wouldn't make a huge effort to make sure I ate that much, but healthy fats are very important (google fish oil btw, and consider taking a supplement).

As to gaining weight on healthy food -- been there, done that. Lentils, sweet potatoes, brown rice and other whole grains are like trigger foods for me.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:16 PM   #12  

Height: 5'6

Okay, I actually got excited when I saw your post because I went through the same thing, over and over again and hope I can help!

My caloric intake goal used to be about 1000-1200 calories, as I know it's dangerous to go under 1,000. However I always ended up eating from 800-900.

A typical meal plan for me would have been

Breakfast- Oatmeal, with water and sliced fruit. (never really over 200 calories)

Snack - Fruit (apples, grapes) (varies, but usually not over 100 calories)

Lunch - Turkey sandwich on wheat bread with mustard and lettuce ( never over 250 calories)
Some more fruit or carrot sticks (roughly 50 calories)

Mid day snack- More fruit or raw veggies (50 calories)

Dinner- Chicken breast and some veggies (200-300 calories)

You can see that by taking even the highest possible I still rarely reached 1,000 calories.. so what happened when I was starving? I'd binge. Give up for a few weeks, eat whatever I wanted, way too much of it and then start over again.

After months and months of research and educating myself about nutrition my meal plan looks more like this..

Breakfast - Oatmeal with walnuts or ground flax seed, banana, glass of skim milk
Or low calorie-high fiber cereal (notably Kashi go-lean) with fruit and milk.

Morning snack- Fruit and almonds, apple and string cheese, wholegrain crackers with 1/2 serving of natural peanut butter.. etc.

Lunch - For example today I had a salad I made (usually it'd be lettuce, tomatoes and some lemon juice to top it off....... yay... *sarcasm*) but today I had spinach leaves, a small amount of sunflower seeds, some nonfat feta cheese, cherry tomatoes, and a small amount of raisins.. with a small amount of balsamic vinegar, which definitely adds calories, the key is the excess to which you lean.. you don't want to top a salad with ranch and croutons(sp) (most of which have transfats anyway, ew) but rather a lot of healthier high calorie items in limited amounts.. as many people have said.... I had this salad with a serving of Progresso Lentil soup, high in protein, decent fiber and low in calories in fat ( I think it may have been a 99% fat free version ) I usually don't get much sodium from other places so as long as I don't have soup twice in a day i'm fine

Afternoon snack- Similar to above mid morning snack..

Dinner- There are tons of possibilities! Whole wheat pasta with lowfat spaghetti sauce, tons of veggies, salad and a piece of whole wheat bread... marinate your chicken breast in olive oil before cooking it.. making it more moist and calorieful (of good calories of course!). I also used to ban all foods that are not considered "healthy" in my mind.. My boyfriend brought me fish tacos, fish on two corn tortillas with bel lpepper and cheese the fish didn't appear fried, so it was only really the cheese I was worried about. I ate one last night with a can of cambells select harvest soup, after I drained most of the broth out. I would never be able to do that! I'd either eat 3 or non. Now I go by that 80(healthy)-20(junk) ratio. I don't feel deprived anymore!

As long as you don't constantly think about calories, exercise and stay busy with other things.. the weight will come off. The more you think about it, the more deprived and starved you feel. Don't feel deprived if you feel "hungry" because the truth is you probably ARE eating less than you used to.. however if it's excessive just try incorporating more of those foods:

Nuts: especially Almonds and walnuts. Olive oil. Natural Peanut Butter or Almond butter, individual servings of cheese, dried fruit, avocado as many have mentioned, hummus... You just need to learn to balance these with low calorie foods. Not too little, not too much and soon you wont even have to think about if you're eating the correct amount of calories. If you feel hungry drink a cup of green tea with no sugar (I have 3 glasses a day, one between each meal) or have a low calorie snack such as a pickle or two, or some fruit.

Good luck, I hope this helps!
PeaceNLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:22 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post

For me, it's the COMBINATION of the *good foods* with the built in accountability and PORTION control that comes with calorie counting.
I have found this to be very true as well.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote