Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-31-2010, 02:30 PM   #1  
ready to stand

S/C/G: 172/ticker/115

Height: 5'1

Default Olive Oil Dangerous?

I had heard somewhere that olive oil shouldn't be used to fry food. (I don't remember where I heard it.) I decided to look it up today and I stumbled upon this article.

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/spir...-be-toxic.html

I understand that using certain oils to deep-fry things is dangerous, but what about using olive oil for stir-fry or other ways of cooking that need high amounts of heat?

The only oil I've ever used is vegetable oil (which my mom uses), but I want to use healthier oils to cook my food. I know that olive oil is very healthy when drizzled on a salad or a piece of fish, but I would like to use it while cooking as well.

Should I believe this article about it creating fumes or is there something I'm missing?

Has anyone heard anything about this and what are your thoughts?
MelodyLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 256/ticker/150

Height: 5'11"

That's really interesting! I use EVOO for everything. Hmmm... Thanks for the article!
cherbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 210/159/135

Height: 5'1"

From what I've heard, there IS something to that type of information. If an oil reaches it's smoke point, the smoke that's coming from the oil is carcinogenic, because the heat is mutating the oil.

So flax oil, olive oil, those ones are good as 'cold' oils.
The ones that are safe for high heat cooking are peanut oil, grapeseed oil, and coconut oil. I find I enjoy using different flavored oils in cooking, it really changes the flavor.

That doesn't mean you can't necessarily cook with olive oil, just not at high heat. granted, for most foods nutrients are lost during cooking, but that's another can or worms entirely.
atreyyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:54 PM   #4  
ready to stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by atreyyena View Post
The ones that are safe for high heat cooking are peanut oil, grapeseed oil, and coconut oil.
The article listed avocado oil and safflower oil as safe to use also.

Out of these, which would be the easiest to find/most affordable? I'm living in a dorm right now, so I don't cook with oil at the moment. And all I've ever used was vegetable oil. So, I don't know much about them.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:07 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 210/159/135

Height: 5'1"

I've heard varying things about safflower oil, so wouldn't really feel comfortable saying one way or another. Avocado oil is another good point. Basically the idea is that fats that are solid at room temperature, like avocado oil and coconut oil, are better at high heat because they melt. Oils that are Always oils, like olive oil, don't melt, they burn.

Peanut oil would probably be the easiest to find, it's one of the most common asian cooking oils. But coconut oil can go a long way, although you can definitely taste the coconut.

If you don't cook with oil now, though, I'd say just to keep on going as is and use the oils to make your own salad dressings and stuff.
atreyyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:20 PM   #6  
ready to stand

What you said makes a lot of sense.

When I go back home this summer, I'll probably use either peanut oil or avocado oil, depending on the price.

Thank you for the help.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:31 PM   #7  
it's always something

It seems like it might be a bit of an exaggeration on their part.

From what I've found, any unsaturated oil is capable of creating toxic HNA related compounds if heated for a long period or if reused. This is not specific to olive oil. But that doesn't mean there is a risk.

However, it takes time for this to occur at any temperature. The oil would need to reach frying temp and remain at that temp for at least 30 minutes before any change would occur. There is more risk if the oil is reheated and reused, as the HNA compounds accumulate.

I'm not sure how everyone else cooks with olive oil, but I use a small amount for sauteing vegetables - not deep frying, and there is nothing left to save and reuse. I'll stick with my olive oil
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:57 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post

From what I've found, any unsaturated oil is capable of creating toxic HNA related compounds if heated for a long period or if reused. This is not specific to olive oil. But that doesn't mean there is a risk.

However, it takes time for this to occur at any temperature. The oil would need to reach frying temp and remain at that temp for at least 30 minutes before any change would occur. There is more risk if the oil is reheated and reused, as the HNA compounds accumulate.

I'm not sure how everyone else cooks with olive oil, but I use a small amount for sauteing vegetables - not deep frying, and there is nothing left to save and reuse. I'll stick with my olive oil
Good advice! I don't think many people use olive oil to deep fry. First it is too expensive and secondly, it has a low smoking point. I use canola or vegetable oil if I want to fry something like chicken. I've never actually "deep-fried" anything.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:41 AM   #9  
Lone Locust of Apocalypse

S/C/G: 310/310/150

Height: 5'6"

I never liked olive oil for some types of cooking. For higher heat or foods where I don't want the olive oil flavor, I like to use grapeseed oil. To me, it doesn't have as strong a taste and it cooks well. They have it at my favorite grocery store for $9 a liter, which is a lot compared to the vegetable oil I used to get, but comparable to olive oil for me.
Regera Dowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:13 PM   #10  
this space for rent

S/C/G: 274/274/140

Height: 5'8"

I actually don't care fore the taste of olive oil, and its just fat. It is a fattier fat than lard, and that is why it isn't recommended for deep frying. granted using it as a condiment won't kill you, but it is a fat, and because I'm trying to lose about a hundred of my own, I stay away from it .
eroica27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:31 PM   #11  
On a mission!

S/C/G: 333/310/260

Height: 5'9"

I don't heat oils except coconut oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eroica27 View Post
It is a fattier fat than lard, and that is why it isn't recommended for deep frying.
"Fattier fat"? Not sure what you mean by that, as fat is fat is fat.

Last edited by Passionista; 04-01-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Passionista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:08 PM   #12  
it's always something

Maybe she means olive oil contains more fat grams per tablespoon measure than lard. Lard isn't just fat, it's other icky stuff too.

Luckily recent studies have shown that weight loss diets with moderate amounts of 'good' fats such as olive oil (and not sat fats) are more successful for weight loss and maintenance than low fat or high fat diets. Plus there are sooo many health benefits to consuming olive oil and similar oils. For one thing, if olive oil is the only fat you consume, you'll cut your risk of heart disease by 60%. Well worth it, in my opinion.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:00 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

We had a pretty good thread about this last year:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food...-cook-huh.html
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:46 PM   #14  
Empress/Queen

Thumbs up

Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post

Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote