Old 04-01-2010, 11:41 AM   #1  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

Default I need a bicycle butt

Which I don't yet have, and so my sit bones are sore after the first short ride of the season! The wind was a bit chilly on my ears, but the kids and I had fun. I shall have to pull out my padded cycling drawers (which fit now) the next time I go for a ride this week.
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:58 AM   #2  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

LOL! I have a padded seat for cycling class that I take with me. I need to pull out the bicycle and get some air into the tires. Sounds like fun!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:08 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

When hubby and I bought bicycles a couple of years ago, my butt and thighs hurt so bad after the first ride, I was tempted to return the bike. Instead I bought the widest gel seat that Walmart had (if that didn't help I was going to buy the much more expensive, but even wider and cushier seat I had seen in a local bike shop).

I plan on doing a LOT more biking this summer, so maybe I'll invest in an even better seat.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:16 PM   #4  
Argh.

I invested in a comfortable gel seat, too. When I first bought my bike it had a very skinny, male-type seat on it and I thought I was going to die. I'm glad that you're biking! Where do you go?

Get it out, Eliana! It's so exhilarating. After half an hour I thought I couldn't possibly have done any REAL exercise yet, and maybe I should add half an hour on the exercise bike just to make sure I'd gotten in a good burn! I didn't, though.

I'm going to have to get my gear shifts tweaked, and I need a spare tube/hand pump, but beyond that I am good to go.

Last edited by calluna; 04-01-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:45 PM   #5  
To be fit and FLY....

I know what you mean!

I love to ride by my booty hurts, I think I am with Kaplods, I need a gel seat!
Summerblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:52 PM   #6  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

If you bike regularly enough, your butt/crotch will adjust to the pressure. It is probably worth doing it regularly for a few weeks and see what happens, rather than investing a lot of money in new equipment/clothing up-front.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by calluna View Post
I invested in a comfortable gel seat, too. When I first bought my bike it had a very skinny, male-type seat on it and I thought I was going to die. I'm glad that you're biking! Where do you go?
I've not been able to ride long enough to really "go" anywhere, I just rambled around our neighborhood. We lived in a neighborhood with very little traffic, and there was a park about five blocks away, so I'd ride to the park, ride around the park, and then ride home (about 30 minutes tops).

I did not bicycle regularly, especially since hubby became unable to bicycle anymore (at least until we can afford to get him a recumbant bike or an adult trike) and I was a bit afraid to ride myself. There really wasn't anywhere to go either (except the small park, kind of boring on my own). Where we are now, I'll be able to actually go somewhere with a practical destination in mind.

I'm really, really excited to be in the apartment we're in now (we moved in October), as it's much more practical for bike riding. I'm actually going to be able to use the bike for practical transportation as we're only a few blocks from a good-sized grocery store, a small oriental grocery, several strip malls, shops, restaurants (and an ice cream shop, which I'll try to pretend doesn't exist - it's only about a block from the apartment), and one of the farmer's markets too (I may have to actually get a basket for the bike).

What's nicest is that there's really only one very busy street, but except for crossing it I won't have to ride on it. I think I'll even be able to get to Target by taking back streets. I'm not much of a Target shopper, but the goal isn't so much the destination, but being able to get there.

Today we also picked up a handheld gps for geocaching, I'm REALLY excited about that. There are a couple of nearby parks, so there might even be some caches within biking distance. The last time we were geocaching, I had a hard time keeping up with hubby, now it's reversed and hubby wears out before I do (except for very short walks, because he still has much longer legs than I do, so his stride is much longer).

I'm really excited about being much more active this summer.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:57 PM   #8  
Argh.

WarMaiden, that is what I meant by "bicycle butt". I bought the gel/women's seat some time ago when I kept experiencing pain, and I'm glad I did, but as you point out I will still have to make the adjustment this season.

Last edited by calluna; 04-01-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:01 PM   #9  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Maybe I'm just extra sensitive....but I use a gel seat AND padded shorts. Really helps A LOT!
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:09 AM   #10  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

lol I know what you mean!!! I have that trouble even if I am sitting on a mat doing a work out!
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote