Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-01-2010, 02:57 PM   #1  

Default Quitting Smoking and Weight Loss

Hi Everyone,
I'm not really sure where to post this, but I was looking for advice/insight from those that have quit smoking while on a diet. I've lost 30 pounds since November and have about 40 pounds to go. I quit smoking 4 days ago, after 20 years, but now I am hungry, hungry, hungry....constantly. I was a light smoker, so it's not like I went on a "cigarette diet" in November and lost weight because I smoked instead of eating. My question is: How long does it take for normal appetite to return? Most people gain weight when they quit smoking....I am trying to not only NOT gain weight, but lose it as well. Am I fighting a futile battle here? Should I concentrate on not smoking, and focus on weight loss after I've gone a few months without smoking? I love the fact that I have lost 30 pounds....and I feel so much healthier. It would kill psychologically to regain it. Thanks everyone!
bachelorette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:07 PM   #2  
natalie

S/C/G: 260/171.2/145

Height: 5'7"

You really need to focus to not gain weight. I gained 30 pounds when I quit smoking (partnered with the fact that I'd just started dating my boyfriend.) I think the best time to quit smoking is while you're trying to lose weight.

It's hard, but it's a serious case of mind over matter. You don't need the extra food, and tell yourself that. Your body just wants a minor psychological boost, and doesn't care where it comes from. I'd say it takes about a month to get the cravings under control. But don't quote me on it, that was just me. But they do say it takes 3 weeks to break a bad habit, so keep that in mind as well.

Congrats on your decision to quit smoking, this coupled with weight loss is the best decision you'll ever make. You can do it!
oodlesofnoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:17 PM   #3  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I am gonna point you to a post I made in response to someone asking me how I quit smoking while losing weight. I hope in some way it can help you as well

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/2885060-post21.html
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:56 PM   #4  

Onderchic,
Thank you for the advice about quitting smoking and weight gain. I got goosebumps when I read that you had quit with Allen Carr's book. I currently have it on my nightstand.....I've been putting off finishing it for....oh, 3 years. No joke. My bf and I decided to quit together a couple of weeks ago and we set a date for March 28th. (I figured by then I would finish the book.) Well, the quit day came and I still had not finished the book, but I felt I was ready to quit, so I did. The reason I am writing is because I was very intrigued by the fact that after you finished the book, you still went out and had another cigarette...Is that part of the plan? Because I have been thinking about finishing the book now because I think it will reinforce my attempt to quit. However, I'm afraid of falling into the same trap of "smoke until you finish this book" and then not finishing it. Again. I was under the impression that in the final chapter, there is an "AH HA!" moment where you magically never want to smoke again.
I feel I am about to start rambling so I will get to the point: Should I finish the book? Will it help at this point? Again, I'm afraid of falling into the same trap of "smoking until I finish the book". And what exactly does the book say at the end that is supposed to free smokers from their habit when nothing else has? I guess I am trying to understand what happened between the time you finished the book and the time you had your last cigarette. And what was different about that last cigarette form every other cigarette?

On a different note, I looked at your progress pics and I just want to say "Wow!" You have done an amazing job and you should be proud of yourself!

~Chris

PS. I apologize for posting here, but I am not allowed to send private messages yet. (I found this out after I had typed the above!! )
And thank you, too, Natalie!
Old 04-01-2010, 04:11 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

It can be done, but it's tough. I quit over a year and 1/2 ago. I just started trying to lose weight a couple of months ago, becuase I knew that I couldn't do both at the same time so I had to focus on quitting smoking.

For me, the physical cravings for nicotine felt just like being hungry...including the growling noises in my stomach and all. And I ate and ate. The other problem is that when you no longer have the smokes to deal with feelings and issues, it's easy to use food to deal instead. I wish I had been more aware when I quit smoking, but I wasn't and now I just have to lose weight so I can be thin AND smoke-free. There is support available for quitting smoking, similar to this website is for weight loss. I used the quitnet forum for the quitting support and it was an incredible lifeline.

You can do both. You just have to be extra aware and stick to a plan for each...and really be able to stay on plan at all times.

You certainly have MY support for both endeavors...I'm here if I can help with anything!

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:11 PM   #6  
Resident Pixie

Hi Chris

The book did not suggest an after read cigarette, lol . That was of my own doing. Quite honestly, I enjoyed smoking, or at least truly believed I did. For me, the book is spot on about the mental aspects of smoking and the addiction of it. When I finally finished reading the book, to myself I thought "Hmm, this book won't keep me from smoking, no way, I love it!" So, I went out at 1am and I had the cigarette thinking I was in control lol. After I had the cigarette, I laid in bed thinking over what I had read in the book and how much I had already changed my health for the better with committing to not being morbid obese any longer. Then something just clicked for me in my brain...hey, my health is important and I am important and the cigarettes are NOT worth it! And ya know what? They are not, they weren't for me and they are not for you . To me, it is all about mindset. I know you can do it, if I can...a former cigarette loving addict..then anyone I can...yes, I truly believe that Good luck! ♥
Old 04-01-2010, 06:16 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 260/ticker/160

Height: 5'6 1/2"

I stopped smoking in Oct. then started in on eating better in Dec.
Still not smoking, and down 24.5 #s. If I can do it anyone can. I used the patches and deep breathing. My dh is still smoking like a freight train.
toobig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:54 PM   #8  

Thank you all for your support. It helps so much to know that it is possible to quit smoking without derailing my weight loss.
Cheers!!!!
Old 04-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #9  
Resident Pixie

You're welcome Keep us updated
Old 04-02-2010, 09:09 AM   #10  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

I feel like an expert on quitting smoking. I must have done it something like 50 times.

But seriously, I did tend to gain weight when quitting smoking because I wasn't prepared for all that free time I had not smoking. Eating became my solace. And that increase in hunger can be very shocking and hard to resist. Also, metabolism does slow down, but from what I read that would only account for 8-10 lbs gained.

I read somewhere that nicotine replacement keeps the metabolism like regular smoking does. I mention this so that you can determine whether weight gain is from eating more or a (slightly) slower metabolism.

I quit smoking again (I keep trying) 6 weeks ago and decided to also lose weight at the same time. I am replacing smoking with running, dancing, walking and biking. I think I've lost something like 4 lbs. That's not dramatic, but I'm happy with it. I'm not getting the cravings to eat while quitting this time. In part, I am staying as far away from temptation as possible. Also, I'm going to bed much earlier now, which keeps me away from the night time eating.

I am using nicotine gum, which is keeping my mouth busy at the moment. And it has curbed my hunger somewhat. Eventually I'll taper off, but for now I think it's healthier to chew the gum than to smoke. Quitting smoking is extremely difficult and I support you in the effort. Even if you do gain a little weight, I think you'll notice that you will become much happier smoke free.

Good luck!
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:41 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 200/162/147

Height: 5ft5

im in the same boat, although im cutting down gradually with a view to stop soon, but its so easy when i want a ciggie to pick up something to eat so now trying to switch to fruit rather than chocolate

good luck
fionac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:04 PM   #12  

I quit cold turkey 2 years ago after 20 years of smoking. I had been dieting and exercising, slowly losing weight for about a year prior. When I quit I was so nuts with withdrawal that I decided I had to find any possible way to keep myself busy--cleaning the mini-blinds by hand, things like that. I also went outside and started running, something I had never tried in my life (I was 37). What was strange was that I went into like a 2-3 week bloat (I think it was the addiction's last ditch effort to get me smoking again) and then suddenly all the rest of the pounds I was trying to lose fell off! It was remarkable. I know it was the running and keeping busy and maybe I changed my metabolism...but a total bonus on top off quitting smoking.

Moral of the story: you don't HAVE to gain when you quit.

Good luck. You'll do great!
pdxloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:59 AM   #13  
I am worth it

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140 (maybe 130)

Height: 5' 3" and a half ;)

I quit smoking while losing weight too. For myself, I noticed my weight loss stalled for about three weeks but I stayed on plan and didn't gain a pound. If you find you stall for a bit, try not to become discouraged. Your metabolism with naturally slow a bit but if you stay on plan you shouldn't gain. I found that cinnamon Nicorette gum and sugar free candies and popsicles helped me get through. I wouldn't encourage anyone to pretend to "smoke" an object. I know they sell pretend cigarettes and nicotine inhalers but I found when ever I tried to imitate smoking, the cravings became unbearable.

Hang in there. Drink plenty of water and try to keep yourself busy. I know you will pull through
sweetnlow28 is offline   Reply With Quote