Old 03-31-2010, 12:46 PM   #1  
Finally Losing Myself

S/C/G: SW 278/ CW see ticker/ GW 150

Height: 5'5

Wink Embarrassed by Compliments

This weekend the Husband's company had a weekend get away for all the employees and their spouse/date. Most of these people I haven't seen since the Christmas party. They were shocked at my progress and very complimentary. Many asked what I am doing and seemed very impressed.

On Saturday I went for a run since I was missing my Boot camp class. I didn't realize how many people I would encounter on my run and ended up having another guy join me toward the end of my run when I had already done 4 miles he asked if I wanted to go with him another round. So I ended up running 5 miles with some fast walking mixed in.

At the dinner person after person came up to compliment me and say how they saw me running that morning. I just didn't know how to act or what to say. I am doing this for me and me alone. So while the outside encouragement is nice I don't know how to take it.

But I admit I do hope to wow them again at the next company Christmas party when I hope to be close to goal.
Nikki6kidsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 273/219/145

Height: 5'5"

I ALWAYS shy away from praise, but then am disappointed when no one notices. LOL. I do understand what you are saying. All you can really do is say "thank you" and ask them something specific about them to get them talking to take focus off of you. Atleast that's what I do. haha!
slimsilhouette2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:12 PM   #3  
No more +sizes

Height: 5'4"

Depending on the compliment how I respond. If they say wow you are really losing weight I say thank you. But if they tell me I'm disappearing I don't what to think about that one. It tends to make me uncomfortable. Not sure why.
jigglefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:16 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 273/219/145

Height: 5'5"

OHH... You know which one I hate??

"You look so GREAT!!" So what? Was I chopped liver before?? I know they mean well so I just say "thank you" and move on.
slimsilhouette2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:17 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

I don't ever like being the center of attention, I tend to be more of an introvert. However, I will just say thank you when complimented and then change the subject. I'll ask how the other person is doing, what are they up to, compliment them on their new haircut, whatever I can think of to take the focus off me while being gracious enough to accept their kind words.

I think it will get easier in time. People will get used to the changes.

Congrats on all the compliments and all your hard work paying off! Good
job!
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:21 PM   #6  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

You know, I am about as introverted as they come, bordering on having social anxiety, but I revel in compliments! I get two conflicting feelings immediately upon hear congratulatory words. I feel elated and embarrassed equally and simultaneously. I've made a mental note to myself that I'm going with the first reaction! It catches me off guard every time, but my outward response is to smile and stand or sit up taller and I just go with it. A beaming "Why thank you" often does the trick.

Now the questions that follow are often embarrassing and uncomfortable, but I have learned to love the compliments!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:02 PM   #7  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

I can never win. I fish for compliments when I'm feeling a bit low, feel embarassed when I get them and usually stammer something back incoherent, or feel bad when I don't get any.
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:48 PM   #8  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I just act graciously, the same way I'd hope someone would act when I was trying to compliment them. Say thanks, and maybe use it as an opportunity to encourage THEM. You never know what will make the difference for someone, and start them down a path that will change their life.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:53 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

I always just say "Thank you, I've been exercising more." I hate to get into the whole food thing so I try to deflect it with the exercise comment and then change the subject. I do NOT want my weight loss to be a topic of conversation.
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:55 PM   #10  
Finally Losing Myself

S/C/G: SW 278/ CW see ticker/ GW 150

Height: 5'5

When they ask what I am doing and whats my secret, I want to say working my A$$ off but I just say staying away from sugar and fried foods and exercising.

I to like the compliments but don't know what to say without sounding stupid. Smile and say thanks does work sometime. I am so focused on how very badly I need a tummy tuck from the weightloss and 6 c sections that I can't see the forest for the trees so to speak.
Nikki6kidsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:39 AM   #11  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_H View Post
I can never win. I fish for compliments when I'm feeling a bit low, feel embarassed when I get them and usually stammer something back incoherent, or feel bad when I don't get any.

The most honest answer ever! And totally me too! hehe!
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote