Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 03:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 330/327/250

Height: 5'5

Default Curves

Just curious. Has anyone out there joined a curves gym and if so what did you think? One just opened up around the corner and I'm thinking of giving it a try.

Sarah
Old 01-09-2003, 04:15 PM   #2  
Getting healthier daily!!

Default Curves....

Hello, Sarah.

There was quite a discussion of Curves a while back. Try the previous page. I posted my positive response there as did others. Also, before that thread there was another discussion earlier.

Do check those out. I've enjoyed my time with Curves.
Old 01-10-2003, 09:31 PM   #3  
Soon to be Lifetimer

Our Curves was offering a free week to try it out. I took advantage of it and asked them to weigh and measure me -- they normally don't until you join. I went the 6 days they were open and walked at least a mile a day also. I tried to eat sensibly and added more fruit. I lost 3 lbs and a total of 5 inches. 1 1/2 in my waist! I feel better too. I was very skeptical and had a bad attitude and really wanted it proven to me that it would work at all.
That time goes very fast and you are done before you know it. The only down fall is you have to sign a year contract and pay a membership fee. Check as they have specials on the membership fee all the time--I got mine for 60% off.
I am going to keep up the 5 days a week til I get to where I want to be and then maintain with 3 times a week.
I have about 20 lbs to go, they told me a good 6 months should take care of that if not sooner!
Good luck let us know what you decide!
Bunny
Old 01-11-2003, 12:18 PM   #4  

I was gonna join a local Curves but then I found out that the times I would want to go they are closed!!!!! I called several in the area and they all had the same hours. They shut down at noon and don't reopen till 3. Granted they do have evening hours on some days but I wanted to go while my youngest was at preschool from 11:30-2:00! There are days that DH doesn't get home till after 7:30PM. Curves is supposed to be geared for just woman but they offer no childcare and will not even allow a child come in and sit in the corner and read a book. I went a bought a treadmill instead!!!!!!!
Old 01-11-2003, 02:09 PM   #5  

Thanks for the replies. I went to check it out and deceided to give it a go. They let you do a month to month for the same fee as the year membership so What have I got to lose. I got the 60% discount as well. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 01-11-2003, 09:32 PM   #6  
Soon to be Lifetimer

Our Curves is closed from 2-3 which is nice since they have a lot of professional people coming in on their lunches.
Ours also offers a "playroom" which is a wall divider and the kids can play and then "check" on mom. It works out better than the Jazzercise babysitting room where they don't see you for an hour or so. I think each is different since the franchises are individually owned.
Let me know how it goes!
Ours also has a key tag you scan and it tells you how many times you have been there.
Bunny
Old 01-13-2003, 12:29 AM   #7  
Eat Less; Exercise More

I joined Curves in Oct...it was their 3rd anniv special and the signup fee was only $3.00! They also have a deal where they will give you a sliding scale refund if you choose not to stay for whole year... you might ask them about it if you're worried about the commitment. I think it's true that each one is slightly different because it's individual franchises, so you just have to see what the one near you will offer. I like the fact that you can visit any Curves if you travel...I don't travel much but when I do I find lots of excuses NOT to exercise...being able to visit Curves will give me that much less excuse. So far, my only complaint is that they close at 7:00pm. Means I have to make myself leave work by 6:00 and hope traffic is perfect to make it by 6:30. Of course, I am only supposed to work til 5:00, so if I'd just leave when I'm sposed to... :-)
Old 01-14-2003, 01:08 PM   #8  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

Hi,
Jumping in. A Curves opened next door to where my kids do karate. they are closed from 12-1:30, so it looks like it is owners choice. For me it is great, i do the 30 min, while the kids have a 45 min class. it is clean and I like that everyone is not stick thin, ok some are...

I have surgery right after thanksgiving and couldn't go for 6 weeks. they extended my membership!

I recomend it if it works into your day. fast and easy.
I will also say you get out of it what you put into it, so the harder you work out the better your results will be.

be well,
-L
Old 01-22-2003, 07:31 AM   #9  

Hello Ladies,

This is my first post and I found what I was looking for.

I have been going to Curves for almost a year. ( Off and On). When I go steady, 3 days a week and follow my low carb, I lose inches and lbs.
I made a new commitment on Jan 6th and have been faithful since. I have lost 4 lbs, haven't gotten measured yet, but jeans feel great!! I love that it is only women, and we are all shapes and sizes. I joined last March, at 207 and even with my on and off agains, I managed to get down to 194 and 13 inches. Just think how much I would have lost if I had stuck to it faithfully.

It's a 30 minute work out, and the manager weighs, measures, and checks your fat % monthly, or whenever you ask. It's worth trying........Good luck to all of us!!
Old 01-23-2003, 11:09 PM   #10  
Cute Chick

S/C/G: 254/202/135

Height: 5'0"

I was wondering...My mom and I were thinking about joining Curves...but I was wondering...If i sign up at one...and then before that year is up...i move..can i use other Curves? or do i have to stick to that same one? or am i able to transfer my membership?
Old 01-24-2003, 05:24 PM   #11  
Getting healthier daily!!

Default Curves...

At our Curves they will transfer a membership IF the receiving franchise will accept it. They will give a pass so you can go to another one if you're on vacation and want to go to one there.

The best thing is to ask about this. Each one is slightly different. The one I go to is strictly no frills; no showers, no child care, no games, no contests, etc. I like it like that but you might not so be sure to check it out.
Old 01-24-2003, 06:27 PM   #12  
Cute Chick

there are like 15 curves within a 10 mile radius of me...but when my mom moves...it is going to be near Santa Monica, CA...that's 40 miles from when we are now...and she wants to start curves before she moves (about another 3 months)....
Old 01-28-2003, 06:10 AM   #13  

Well I have been a member for a week now and I have to say. I LOVE CURVES. I have only gone 4 times but I already feel better. I get a great workout and everyone there is so nice and supportive. I can't wait for my first month weigh in and measurement next month. I highly recomend this program to anyone without alot of time.
Old 01-30-2003, 03:36 PM   #14  

Well its been over a week now and I really love this program. I really recomend that if you have a local curves you try it out. I feel great.

Sarah
Old 01-30-2003, 07:37 PM   #15  
Cute Chick

that's great! I would love to try curves...but I don't think that I should pay for things that I am already doing on my own

Amber
Closed Thread