Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-29-2010, 02:08 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

Default How To Add Flavor To Brown Rice

I am going to try some brown rice tonight, instead of the usual white or jasmine. I will cook it using low sodium chicken broth. Wonder if anyone has a spice combo that will perk it up? I usually throw in some garlic seasoning mix, taco spice or Mrs. Dash. I am serving it with grilled tilapia tonight, so not sure if I should just leave it plain or try something different. Maybe use the salmon spice mixture I put on the fish?

Thanks!
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 145/119/120

Height: 5'2"

Try baking brown rice. I use this recipe by Alton Brown :

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

This is fool-proof recipe, rice is so nutty and chewy that you will enjoy its flavor.
healthyliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:34 PM   #3  
missjkd

S/C/G: 218/ticker/118

Height: 5'2"

Default Spanish Brown Rice

I just started making this with the brown jasmine rice from trader joes and I totally love it. I take 1 1/4 cups of the rice, 1 1/2 cups of good chicken stock and a container of fresh salsa (in the cold section, I have used the grandessa brand from Aldi's, another brand called Jack's special at Marc's and also the Trader Joes Fresh Salsa). I bring the mixture to a boil and reduce it to low for about 30-40 minutes checking a few times. It is sooo good.
missjkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:48 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Lemon or lime zest, basil or thyme, garlic. Orange zest and juice. I really like the bright flavors of citrus with brown rice. And they are good on fish too if you like fish. (I don't, but Robert does)

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:17 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 210/173/128

Height: 5'0"

For a long time I hated brown rice because it was so bland but I found out I was over cooking it and the texture was just wrong. I got a little $10 rice cooker and now the brown rice comes out perfectly intact and it tastes amazing.
I also use the brown jasmine rice and the brown basmati rice from Trader Joes. It's so good I can eat it plain now!
FunSize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:55 PM   #6  

So is brown rice supposed to be chewier? I cooked it for 30 min. according to the directions, until all liquid was absorbed. But it didn't taste like it was quite done to me. Is that how it is supposed to turn out?
Old 03-29-2010, 09:21 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

I tried Alton Brown's oven recipe but I have variable numbers of people to feed. I like the rice cooker better.

Whatever you have liked with white rice, do that with brown. I think 45 minutes on the stove is closer to the cooking time, not knowing your quantities, another reason to use the rice cooker.

I make it Latino flavors, cajun, dill, plain if a sauce is going over it. I like that it keeps me feeling full longer.

Enjoy whatever you choose to do.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:45 PM   #8  

Do you like slightly spicy!?

I eat mine with Kimchi. It's Korean and can be found in most grocery stores. It's crisp, cold, and slightly spicy. Goes perfect with my brown rice!
KellyGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:00 PM   #9  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Brown rice is chewier than white.

I like it like this.

Set this aside:

* 1.5 cups frozen peas
* a 6 oz jar of marinated artichoke, drained (save 1 tbs of jar juice)

Dump all this into a rice cooker and cook til done:

* 1 tbs of the artichoke marinade
* 1 cup brown rice
* 2 cups water
* 1 vegetable boullion cube
* 1/2 tsp onion powder
* 1/2 tsp oregano
* 1/4 tsp thyme
* 1/4 tsp garlic powder
* 1/4 tsp lemon pepper seasoning

When rice cooker clicks off, stir in the peas and artichokes and serve. The lemon pepper is what makes this dish for me.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:25 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 280/255/Healthy, Happy, Strong

Height: 5'7"

That sounds yum, astrophe.

I made brown rice the other day with chicken broth and peas. The peas were a simple but tasty compliment to the rice.

Sesame oil is very flavorful and tasty. It is an oil but it is more for flavoring. A little bit could go a long way.
Renwomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:32 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 266/Ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Default brown rice...

I like to add veggies to my rice as well.

Lemon pepper might do the trick, I experiment with rice as I never know what to put on it. I used to always use the boxes with flavoring in them. Possibly some kind of italian dressing might be good for it, or a white sauce... if you're using broth garlic is great, maybe some shaker Parmesan cheese. That tends to do wonders.
NightAngel26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:47 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieDrews View Post
So is brown rice supposed to be chewier? I cooked it for 30 min. according to the directions, until all liquid was absorbed. But it didn't taste like it was quite done to me. Is that how it is supposed to turn out?
Brown rice is a bit more chewier then white. I usually cook brown rice for 45 minutes, turn off the heat then leave the lid on and let it steam another 15-20 minutes.

It really depends on how chewy you like your rice. If you like it really soft, then cook it for about an hour.

Also, brown rice needs a little bit more water then white rice. Usually white rice is 1:1, brown rice is about 1.5 to 2 cups water to 1 cup rice-also depends on how you like your rice.

Try different amounts of water and different times and see which way you like it. Everyone has different tastes.

Sarah in MD
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:56 PM   #13  

Thank you all so much for the tips! I've used the frozen peas quite often w/ the white rice.

I may try the sesame oil. lemon pepper, lemon/lime zest.....who knows!! I will defiinitely cook it longer/with more liquid next time.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:10 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 280/255/Healthy, Happy, Strong

Height: 5'7"

I found an article a while back that explains how to make "perfect" brown rice.

http://pinchmysalt.com/2009/04/06/ho...ct-brown-rice/

Quote:
brown rice (whichever type you prefer)
water – use at least four cups of water for every one cup of rice
salt – to taste

Rinse rice in a strainer under cold running water for 30 seconds, swirling the rice around with your hand. Meanwhile, bring water to a boil in a large pot over high heat. When water boils, add the rice, stir it once. Turn heat to medium and boil, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. After 30 minutes, pour the rice into a strainer over the sink. Let the rice drain for 10 seconds, then return it to the pot, off the heat. Immediately cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid and set it aside to allow the rice to steam for 10 minutes (if your pot lid isn’t extremely tight, place a piece of aluminum foil over pot then place the lid on top of foil for a tighter seal). After ten minutes, uncover rice, fluff with a fork, and season with salt to taste.
Sounds like a bit more of a hassle to me but I think I will try it soon to see if it makes fluffier rice!
Renwomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:52 PM   #15  
CHEEZBURGER!

S/C/G: 149/147/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyliving View Post
Try baking brown rice. I use this recipe by Alton Brown :

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html
Thanks for posting this! I tried it out earlier this week, and it turned out marvelous.

grrlscout is offline   Reply With Quote