Old 12-18-2009, 12:35 PM   #1  

Height: 5'5.5"

Default Replace McDonald's Scrambled Eggs

I used to go to McDonalds and get a deluxe breakfast for myself and the kids to share. I had the pancakes and muffin and they had the eggs and sausage. No McDonalds for me now that I am dieting. I can still stop by for the kids but I'd like to save money and cook for them myself. I can't manage to make scrambled eggs like McDonalds. Theirs are thick, cohesive and dry. No matter what I try mine do not turn out like that. Anyone have any ideas that will help? Thanks!
LizR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:07 PM   #2  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

From their website:

Pasteurized whole eggs with sodium acid pyrophosphate, citric acid and monosodium phosphate (added to preserve color), nisin (preservative). Prepared with Liquid Margarine: Liquid soybean oil, water, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, salt, hydrogenated cottonseed oil, soy lecithin, mono-and diglycerides, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (preservatives), artificial flavor, citric acid, vitamin A palmitate, beta carotene (color).

It's been ages since I've had eggs at McDonald's, but I would say whisk them well before starting and cook in a large (very hot) pan. They're likely cooked on a griddle in the stores, which means they'll spread them out a lot so they cook really fast. I actually find that adding some egg whites to the scrambled eggs gives me nicer scrambled eggs. The plus is that they're lower in calories as well.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:12 PM   #3  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Reading the list of ingredients is enough to turn me off McD's eggs for the rest of my life. :-)
No wonder your eggs don't turn out like McD's - because theirs are not eggs any longer. They sound more like man-made material to me. PVC for breakfast, anyone?!?
Contrary to Ann, I would actually suggest to make your eggs over very low heat. I don't compare mine to theirs but I find if I my pan is too hot they turn out too dried out. I usually make myself one egg + some eggwhites for breakfast - I like to have mine with finely chopped onion (sauteed first) and a slice or two of turkey bacon.
I use a non-stick and an oil pump to mist the pan lightly with the oil.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I always thought scrambled eggs were best when not dry I aim for barely cooked.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:42 PM   #5  

Thanks Anne. I think I'll try to add an extra egg white and cook at high temp because the boys like their eggs dry. I'm with Tomato, after reading the list of ingredients from McDonald's eggs I am never getting them again.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 206/141/139

Height: 5'9

They must have changed things since I worked there years ago...maybe 23 years now but when I was there and we made scrammbled eggs we made them with real eggs.

We cracked them open on the hot grill and scrammbled them, we did not add anything to them.
lauralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:15 PM   #7  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

From what I can tell, the eggs come pre-cracked/mixed for the scrambled stuff, but they still use whole eggs for the egg mcmuffins and such. I'm not surprised to see them using liquid margarine though as I can imagine it's less likely to burn than using butter.

FWIW - I actually like my eggs a little soft, but was thinking of how you might get closer to what they serve. Good luck.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:37 PM   #8  

Height: 5'11"

I like my eggs pretty dry--no liquidy stuff or "wet" parts. I put a little milk (very little) in a bowl with the eggs. I get the pan pretty hot (start on medium-high), melt a tsp of butter or so in the pan. Then I whisk the heck out of them--the more air in them the better. Into the hot pan with the butter they go, and then I cook them till they are dry (trying to disturb them as little as possible so they keep the incorporated air). To me, the secret is whipping as much air as possible into them. Oh, and when they are about half-done I remove the pan from the heat and let them finish cooking that way. Perfect every time!
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:09 PM   #9  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I do not too hot - about medium, but well preheated, pour the whisked eggs (+ additional whites) in and DONT TOUCH. Put a lid on for a few second to trap the heat. When almost totally set flip over or fold over. It's more like making an omelet than scrambled.

Water added to eggs makes fluffier eggs than milk.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:25 PM   #10  

Adding 1/4tsp. of baking powder to 4 eggs does wonders. Whisk it in with a little milk and let it SIT for 5 minutes before cooking. This is not a recommendation to make dry eggs, but it definitely makes the fluffy.
redsox33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:19 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 280/255/Healthy, Happy, Strong

Height: 5'7"

Try making them in the microwave! They certainly are certainly are not my preferable consistency but they definitely are dryer and cohesive.

Microwave Scrambled Eggs:

In a 10-ounce custard cup, beat together 2 eggs, and 2 tablespoons milk with salt and pepper to taste, if desired, until blended.

Cook on full power, stirring once or twice, until almost set, about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Stir. If necessary, cover with plastic wrap and let stand until eggs are thickened and no visible liquid egg remains, about 1 minute.
1 egg: 30 to 45 seconds
2 eggs: 1 to 1-1/2 minutes
4 eggs: 2-1/2 to 3 minutes
6 eggs: 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 minutes
8 eggs: 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 minutes
Renwomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:38 AM   #12  

Thanks for the tips chicks. I am going to try the baking powder and microwave tricks. I found that adding some cheese makes the eggs stick together. I use egg beaters and low fat cheddar and my boys eat them up. I also cook lean turkey sausage to go with breakfast and they love it. What a huge improvement health wise over McDonalds!
Old 03-28-2010, 12:15 PM   #13  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

For lighter fluffy eggs -- add a spoon of water when you scramble.

For richer creamier eggs -- add spoon of milk.

I like 2 whole eggs or 1 whole egg + 2 egg white when making one serving.

HTH!
A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote