Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-24-2010, 07:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 285/195/175

Height: 5'6"

Default CAN vs. US - Fibre one cereal

I have a box of fibre one cereal, half cup serving is 100 cals, but when I type it into sparkpeople it comes up as a 1/2c serving is 60 cals (which when I look it up online, those are the actual stats) ... whats up with that?!?!
JennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:26 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

This is due to different labeling requirements in US and Canada.

In Canada, calories for all carbohydrates must be counted, even fiber carbohydrates, which are indigestible. So the calorie count includes 4 calories per gram of fiber.

In the US, calories for fiber do not need to be counted because they cannot be digested, so the calorie count does not include the calories for the fiber.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 285/195/175

Strange though isn't it? If I lived in America...I'd have an extra 40 calories per day when eating my fibre one!

Thanks for the quick reply!
JennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:31 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

There is also a possibility the U.S. and Canada Fiber One are slightly different cereal. The Fiber One sold in Europe is definitely different (I think it tastes better).

The Fiber One Bars are also different -- the one in the U.S. is a pretty standard granola bar type with 150?-some calories; the one in Europe is a crunchy (some would say hard) biscuit/cookie, 2 60-calorie biscuits to a pack.

There is also a most excellent chocolate version with dark chocolate chunks in it. I hoard them whenever I can get them and ration them out over months.

I don't know why they're different in Europe, maybe they thought Americans wouldn't like the Spartan-style biscuit.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote