South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-24-2010, 01:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 178/165/140

Height: 5'5"

Default Allow myself to introduce...myself :D

Hi everyone! I am brand new to South Beach, and pretty new to 3FC so I thought I'd introduce myself. I just started SBD this week (day 3 today!) and I am loving it so far. I haven't felt hungry at all, and I haven't even had any sugar/bread cravings (although maybe that's coming later!) I'm down 2 lbs already which is amazing for me, I never lose quickly!

The one issue I'm having is that I am having some...ahem...stomach issues. Has anyone else experienced that? I'm thinking maybe it's the large amounts of protein I'm not used to.

I'm blown away by all the information on this forum, and so excited to get to know and support you all.
ChelseaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: maintaining

Chelsea. Nice to meet you. This is an amazing place and I suggest you hang out here a lot for support and motivation.

As regards your question... lots of us have various PH1 problems but you will probably need to be more graphic to get ideas on what is causing yours. Sorry.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:01 PM   #3  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Welcome Chelsea

I'm guessing it's the most often heard stomach problem in Phase 1. Some suggestions - plenty of water, beans, and high density vegetables. We are always happy to take a look at your menus to see if we have other ideas.

Here are some links to earlier threads (of course I could be guessing way off track and this might not be helpful at all ):
Questions about digestive track issues
Help....Plumbing backed up!
Food That Keeps You "Regular"

Drop by the Daily and say hello. It's a great way to check in each day and we are a chatty group

Last edited by CyndiM; 03-24-2010 at 02:11 PM.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:11 PM   #4  

Thanks for the warm welcome! OK, I guess it's time to get graphic. I'm having a lot of gas - I'm seriously bloated - and some diarrhea. I have heard a lot of people get constipated, so I'm puzzled that I'm having the opposite reaction. Hopefully things will get balanced out for me soon, because I'm loving everything else about the plan.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:13 PM   #5  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Ahh, see I was too quick to guess I'd still suggest plenty of water, it really helps with the fiber. Is this a big change from the foods you were eating? A major increase in fiber intake could definitely cause some stomach distress. Could you post a few menus?
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:34 PM   #6  

Ooh water, I could definitely increase that. I always have a problem getting enough in. Thanks for the tip!

Yes, this is a really big change for me. I have always eaten a lot of fruits and vegetables, but more fruits than veggies. I am also used to eating a LOT of carbs (cereal for breakfast every morning, sandwich for lunch, dessert every night) and dairy, and I don't think I've ever had as much protein as I'm taking in now. Here are my menus for the past couple of days.

Monday
B-2 scrambled eggs, sprinkle of low fat cheddar cheese, 2 slices turkey bacon
S- 10 pecans
L-1/2 c canned tuna, 2 cups romaine lettuce, drizzle of olive oil, 1 T mayo
S-10 almonds, part skim string cheese
D-grilled chicken breast, 2 cups spinach field mix, 1 tomato, 1 c steamed broccoli, 1 T ranch dressing
S-Jello caramel creme mousse (sugar free)

Tuesday
B-2 scrambled eggs, 2 slices turkey bacon, 8 oz V8
S-none
L-1/2 bell pepper stuffed with 1/2 can salmon filet, 1/2 T mayo, 1/4 c black beans, 1 pickle (I planned to eat a whole pepper but got too full)
S-15 almonds, 3 sugar free LifeSavers
D-grilled chicken breast, 1 cup spinach field mix, 1 cup green beans, lemon/olive oil vinaigrette
Old 03-24-2010, 02:58 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

to The Beach, Chelsea! And congratulations for losing 2 lbs already!

I'm reading your menu and the only things I can see that could be causing your tummy problems may be the artificial sweeteners in the sugar free products. They cause problems with a lot of us.
I do see that you had 2 servings of nuts on Monday, and you may want to cut back on those. And puddings aren't allowed until Phase 2 because of the cornstarch or other thickeners that are in it.

We're happy to have you joining us here and look forward to getting to know you!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:48 PM   #8  

Welcome!!! I had the same stomach issues you are having in the beginning. For me things settled down after the first week of Phase 1. I really don't know what caused it...I just assumed it was the increase in fiber from all the veggies???
litar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:01 PM   #9  

cottagebythesea, Doh! I didn't realize that about the pudding. I'll save the rest of the 6 pack for Phase 2. Thanks for letting me know! After the first day I realized I'd had too many nuts, I'm sticking to one serving a day now.

I wondered if the sweeteners might be causing my problems because there was a warning printed on the front of the Life Savers package, but it said "when consumed in excess" and I had less than one serving. Maybe I'm more sensitive to that stuff than most? I'll try cutting those out and see if things get better.

litar, I'm glad to hear it's not just me! And that things got better for you after the first week. I hope they will for me too. It does make sense that a lot of fiber could have this type of effect.

Phase 1 is so restrictive! I know it will be worth it though.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:44 PM   #10  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hi Chelsea and

Best wishes! Everyone is really helpful around here. I'll keep it short, as I'm travelling right now and am counting the minutes until I lose cell service. I think your tummy issues will settle down as you get used to this WOE.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:57 PM   #11  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Welcome Chelsea! Glad you joined us on SB. I have had a lot of the gas issues from time to time on SB but I think it's due to cabbage, broccoli, etc., which I love to eat. I just deal with it (and my poor husband does too!)

Last edited by murphmitch; 03-24-2010 at 09:58 PM.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:59 AM   #12  

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

I am still super bloated today, but I am down another pound, so I don't even care! A little gas is worth it!
Old 03-25-2010, 09:59 AM   #13  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Chelsea,

As someone with GI issues, I know that my body will NEVER get used to eating as many veggies and beans as I do in a week so the bloat feeling bobs up and down for me. Upping water intake is good (the chicks know I am a HUGE proponent of water!)...

so far, so great
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:12 AM   #14  
Losing It In Colorado

S/C/G: 217/217/150

Height: 5' 9"

Hi Chelsea!

I am new here too! Congratulations on your loss so far, I love SBD as it gives results to keep me motivated! I made the mistake with the pudding to, it's in the fridge awaiting Phase 2. Best of luck in your journey!
LosinitinCO is offline   Reply With Quote