Old 03-23-2010, 07:48 PM   #1  
Jennifer

S/C/G: 248/231.4/150

Height: 5"1'

Default Jello Legs

wow, okay so I went in the gym today and said...30 minutes on the treadmill was good yesterday but I was some variety. So, I was on the treadmill for 25 minutes watching all these people on the elliptical style machines, scoped out one in the back and went from the treadmill to it... lasted *drum roll please* a whole minute and a half....OH MY STARS..... how do they do that???????

My thighs cramped up and I stood there wondering how I was going to get off of this thing. It actually came to mind that I could just lean over sideways and fall, at least then I wouldn't have to use my thigh muscles. Once I gentle removed myself from that torture device, I sat on the nearest safe surface, which turned out to be a bike. So, I put my feet in the stirrups (well that brings a different image to mind) anyway... I started to pedal and the cramp finally let go so I kept pedaling for another 15 minutes. I stopped, gave the elliptical one last look (if it hadn't been crowded I would have stuck my tongue out at it) and decided I needed to be done for the day or I wouldn't make it to my car. With my jello legs and a few prayers, I finally made it out to my car and dumped myself into the seat.
Exhausted and going to be sore in the morning, but SO happy to be back exercising!!!!
bythenumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:54 PM   #2  
Have faith...

S/C/G: 325/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Been there!

The first time I went on the elliptical I lasted 2 minutes. The next time I shot for 5 minutes. Boy did that burn! But within a week or two I was doing 30 minutes easily. It's a great calorie burner! Keep it up!
Crushed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:01 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

I've never tried the elliptical...I cannot imagine any reason on earth to go to the gym unless they are holding my funeral there because the mortuary is overcrowded that day ;-) But it sounds like a dreadful beast...good for you and anyone else brave enough to try it.

We have a trainer at home that we can fasten the bicycle to...and it must be a lot like the stationary bikes at the gym, but I just can't get into pedaling like a maniac without somewhere to get to.

I think I will stick to riding outdoors and if there is a hurricane or a blizzard, I will just have to walk around the block. I am POSITIVE that the gym is no place for a nice girl like me!

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:42 PM   #4  
Jennifer

Thanks Crushed, I will try again tomorrow. I will get on it first and if I last a few minutes, it will be ok, because I will just go to the treadmill from there. Maybe I will make it to 3 minutes!

Barb, I am too big to be on a real bike, hopefully by memorial day I will be able to ride a real one.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:47 PM   #5  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Oh, I enjoyed reading this post. You just made my day. Your sense of humor is terrific!

I have been there too. I am another who last two minutes on the elliptical my first time and one minute of running on the treadmill. You are so not alone!! But it wasn't long (really it wasn't) before I was doing 45-60 min on the elliptical. I didn't get very far running. The shin splint did me in and I decided the elliptical was good enough. I like the elliptical and I hate running. LOL!

I also hate the bike, so good for you! I wouldn't be surprised if your rear end was sore tomorrow too.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:59 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/241/145

Height: 5'4''

I love the elliptical trainer, I should probably get more variety but its pretty much the only cardio I do. It gives me the most calories burned per minute, and its easy on my joints and legs. Make sure to put it on the easiest resistance level when you start... I just increased my resistance level this week and I was so proud!
graceandbalance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 235/195/135

Height: 5'5

I like ellipticals cause they're easy on my joints too. I'm trying to get into jogging, but it kills my shins and knees.. On the elliptical, I can do about the same pace without all the hurtiness.

All ellipticals aren't created equally though. I like the ones that have longer strides so you do more of a gliding motion (but not as much as an actual glider/gazelle type machine).. I've been on some with really short strides which makes you bounce kinda up and down and those really are kinda evil!
lychee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:05 PM   #8  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 300/235/190

Height: 5'7

See, I can't stand to walk on the treadmill, but put me on elliptical and various cross trainers and I can go for a 45 minutes EASY, with adjusting the resistance to levels 8-12 doing intervals.

What I CANT do is jog for past 4ph for more than 3 minutes without every part of my leg feeling pathetic and even hurting.
TempleBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:40 PM   #9  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

LOL I had to laugh at your post. THe first time I got on one I was like WTH is this thing doing! lol Then I tried it again - and again. I realized it was different and stopped over thinking it. Now I wish I would have gotten one of those too lol not just a treadmill. Try it again!
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:56 AM   #10  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

I can do elliptical when I can't do anything else (but swim.. I can always swim). Bikes are hard when I've got such a huge belly in front. And treadmills, or walking, or hiking (which I LOVE), kill my feet. I have tendonitis, and impact exercises like walking, even at a slow pace for only 20-30 minutes, will give me abject agony for two days afterward. Ellipticals, on the other hand, are no-impact exercise, and your body can flex and move more easily than with walking.

So I watch movies, and use the elliptical at home. Eventually I hope to be able to do some of my exercise videos again. But only after the tendonitis calms down.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:59 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 265/TickTickBoom/ST-220

Height: 5'6

I love the elliptical. After a 4 day hiatus from the gym due to a stupid cold, I went for 45 minutes (that was Monday). Yesterday I did my usual 30 minutes on it. My thighs feel jello-y today as I walk. It's a strange feeling. But I absolutely LOVE the burn my legs get from it.
Gourmet Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:16 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 230/224.2/165

Height: 5'1"

I personally love the elliptical. It is the only thing I really sweat on... treadmill just doesn't do it for me... The first time I tried it, i thought I would die! I think I lasted maybe a minute. But I kept going back... kinda like my relationships...hmmm I think i'm seeing a trend. Anyway, I digress... It really didn't take long to get up to speed. Matter of fact, one of the trainers came up to me the other day and asked how long I was going to stay on the thing. He said I was sweating like a beast...hmmm not sure if that was a compliment!

Keep trying... it's worth it. You'll get a good cardio workout!
readytodoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:33 PM   #13  
Jennifer

Jello Legs Day two-

I will have you know that I stressed all day about getting on that thing again after school, but (with all of you in my head saying: try again!) I went.... here it goes....

Ok, so I get there, I go to the ellipticals (not the same one, I am still mad at it) I climbed on, no lights, hmmm.... I push buttons, nothing. Not even the headphone thingy was lit up, no one was on this row so I figured they were out of order. I saw the ones that swing back and forth, I was going to try that but a guy I work with was on the elliptical behind it, NOT going to happen. So I climb back on my treadmill. 15 minutes in someone gets on the same elliptical that I was on and she has lights! I get irritated because I didn't watch when she climbed on.
She wasn't as big as I am but neither was she the pink roadrunner on the one up front (cute pink, size 2, exercise suit, blond ponytail, feet moving so fast you can't see them...and TEXTING while she is at it....the kind you feel you should pray for the strength NOT to push her off when you walk by.... *apologies to all of you roadrunners, just being honest!*) I hit my stop button, MARCH over, and excuse myself for interrupting and ask her how she got the silly thing to work... you have to START pedaling first, grrrr......

Ok, I go get my things move to the one next to her and she very patiently talked me through.... step like you are walking up stairs.... I finally get lights! I lasted *another drum roll please* 3 minutes.....doubled my time lol... anyway, I got back on the treadmill for 10 more mins and then some time back on my friendly bike. Tomorrow is another day!

Thanks everyone, it really helped to hear that I am not the only one!
You are all awesome!
Old 03-25-2010, 07:45 AM   #14  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Ok, you have got to post more often!! You are cracking me up!

My first experience with the treadmill was even worse. That one minute I confessed to earlier didn't include the story about how I couldn't figure out how to get the feet to move! LOL! I kept trying to slide/glide like skiis. Could not make it move!! I got it to go backwards before I could figure out forwards.

But now, hey, maybe this will encourage you to keep up with it. I'm just starting back on the thing again this week after a three YEAR hiatus. Tuesday I did 25 minutes and FELT IT. My heart rate was a high of 178. Today, I was able to do 35 minutes, wasn't dieing but felt it, and my heart rate....only up to 168. It does good things for the body! The thing I care most about are my heart rate and my blood pressure. A slow heart rate is the sign of a good athlete, no matter your size! (Mine's still high)

Last edited by Eliana; 03-25-2010 at 07:45 AM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:59 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 286/ticker/180

Height: 5'6

I like punishment so I kept going back to the elliptical knowing full well it would kick my butt one minute in and now it is by far my favorite piece of exercise equipment and I can go for an hour!

I remember when I first started and how I could walk for ages on the treadmill and found that minutes into the elliptical my legs were ready to fall off! It seemed so strange to me how I could use other exercise equipment for a long time and not the elliptical!

It's good you tried! And soon enough you will be using the elliptical! Just work your way up to it!
xMeaganx is offline   Reply With Quote