South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-23-2010, 06:30 AM   #1  

Height: 5'8"

Default Cognitive Behavioral Therapy

Has anyone ever done CBT? I am meeting with a therapist tomorrow for a consultation. I've been through regular therapy before and don't feel it's required right now, also don't want to get into that endless cycle again. I've heard of people who've had excellent results with CBT around perfectionism issues, which is why I'm going. If you feel comfortable sharing, I'd love to hear your experiences.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:57 AM   #2  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

My daughter used it for anxiety. She has a bit of OCD and when she developed life threatening nut allergies started having panic attacks when she ate. After researching it she decided to try CBT and really liked it. She also was looking for something to fix the problem not a rehash of old stuff and found this the perfect fit.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:47 AM   #3  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

I've heard really good things. I considered it several years ago but the only therapist I could see was a 100 m RT. I wasn't in very good condition for getting myself back and forth, so I didn't.

I, too, have perfectionism issues. It is pretty frustrating sometimes.

Best wishes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:52 AM   #4  
On a mission!

S/C/G: 333/310/260

Height: 5'9"

I love CBT. CBT puts the control back in YOUR hands, allows you to feel you're doing something proactive about your issues. I hope it works out well for you!
Passionista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:24 AM   #5  

Thanks everyone! I'll report back after the session tomorrow.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:33 AM   #6  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

have you checked out the Beck CBT thread here? it's a GREAT group of people and a solid CBT program designed to support weight loss efforts. just can't say enough about Bill and the rest of the folks.
kuhljeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:44 AM   #7  

Kuhljeanie, where is that specific thread? I went over to the Beck board, but didn't see a CBT thread.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:58 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 229/221/200

Height: 6'0"

Good luck with your appt.! As someone who works in the world of psychology, I have seen people have great success with CBT.
TallGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:29 PM   #9  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Good luck tomorrow

Hi Mmckellen - Good luck with your consultation tomorrow. Hope it works out for you.

Those of us posting on the 3FC Beck thread that's linked in my signature are all using CBT as part of our eating plan and exercise plan. We don't say "CBT" very often - sometimes, but not often - but we're constantly using CBT techniques found in one of Dr. Beck's two books (listed in the first post of the thread).

Beck's program is strong on planning one's eating the day before, and strong on having a Diet Coach or Diet Buddy to help us keep accountable. Those of us posting are using each other as our Coach/Buddy. We spend a bunch of time taking credit for what we did right (a Beck Strategy) and talking strategies for avoiding where we've wandered and fending off the Sabotaging Thoughts we're tossing at ourselves.

Feel free to drop by and say hello, and obviously to read some recent posts to see what different posters do. It's not a closed group; no rules, no prerequisites, just wander in. And, there's always a bunch of discussion about perfectionism issues; seems to be a bunch of that going round. Drop that word in a post and you'll get some responses for sure.

Or feel free to start a new thread in the Beck Forum about CBT or perfectionism; there might be others just waiting for someone to start that.

And, whether you drop by or not, since you know about CBT, do consider reading one of Dr. Judith Beck's books. She directs the Beck institute for Cognitive Therapy and Research and is active giving seminars for professionals using CBT.

BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote