The Maintenance Library books, articles, and book discussions

Old 03-19-2010, 02:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Default Primal Law#3 move frequently at a slow pace

Walking, swimming, biking ... I understand the notion to be that we build a base of fitness. The ability to use our bodies gently in an active manner. Walkers are already partially primal!

Thoughts on this? What do you do and why? How has this benefitted you?

Last edited by srmb60; 03-19-2010 at 05:55 PM. Reason: sp!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:58 PM   #2  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I asked the most respected trainer at the gym the other day to help me with my program. He said, go longer. Don't worry about your speed, just worry about putting in as many minutes as you can. So I would say...I agree!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:08 AM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

I like longer and slower but sometimes, or most of the time, I don't have time to go longer, so I go faster to shorten the time... I also find that when I go slower and longer I don't sweat, and I love a good sweat...

This law may be right for some and not for others...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:58 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I like the idea that we stress ourselves with our "workout regimens." I like the idea of a gentler, daily active life. I imagine different activities and intensities suit different people.

I think these "laws" are written so briefly that some people may not really understand what he's advising. For example, he also advises lifting and sprinting, so he has intensity too.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 02:22 PM   #5  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

I like to mix it up, in fact need to. day 1 = upper body weights/abs/intense cardio; day 2 = lower body weights/abs/intense cardio; day 3 = long, slow cardio; day 4=rest.

Friday was my long/slow cardio - a day at the pool with my boys. I was in the pool swimming and playing off and on for 5 hours. It was outstanding. Other times I take the dogs for a long ramble. That said, I still need the discipline and rigor of weights and more intense workouts. I wouldn't do without either.
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:03 AM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

In my daily life, I also don't have a lot of time for slower activities. I do park my car so that I am not 'close' when I'm going places and I do try to walk here and there. Ideally, I wouldn't have a car and would be able to get stuff done without one but it doesn't quite work like that.

One reason I love going on vacation is generally there is a lot of walking involved. I went to NYC recently to visit a friend and I wore my bodybugg. I burned as much/more calories each day while in NYC as I did during my high exercise days (2.5 hours of exercise).
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:57 AM   #7  
poco a poco

S/C/G: 246/166.5/158

Height: 5'5"

My running qualifies as slow, so I guess I'm OK with this.
Nada is offline   Reply With Quote