Old 03-17-2010, 10:12 PM   #1  

Default The Eden Diet by Dr. Rita Hancock

I originally posted this under the Weigh Down topic, but then realized I just should have started a new topic for it....

Ladies, have you heard of the Eden Diet by Dr. Rita Hancock?

She is an awesome Christian physician. Her program is a total non diet oriented program, much like Weigh Down, only non-legalistic.

Like Dr. Rita says...if a "Christian" book or program leaves you feeling depressed, guilt-ridden or feeling bad, that is not the voice of God whispering in your ear."

She has a great website too. Check it out! I wish there was a forum for her plan here on 3FC. There is a forum on Yahoo mail, but I don't like the setup. It's not very user friendly.

Well, just thought I'd share. Go on her website or amazon to check it out and let me know what you think. I have both the book and workbook, but haven't officially started yet.
sunshine53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:04 AM   #2  

We are talking about it on the intuitive eating thread under general diet plans.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:20 PM   #3  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

If you plan on following it and can find others who will join you, then you can start a thread for it just like you did here in the same forum the Intuitive Plan is on, I'm sure ... and becuz it is Christian-based, it does fit into this forum too!

Quote:
Like Dr. Rita says...if a "Christian" book or program leaves you feeling depressed, guilt-ridden or feeling bad, that is not the voice of God whispering in your ear."
Actually, I totally like and agree with that quote by Dr. Rita ... that has been my biggest beef with any Christian diet study I have read so far --- there always seems to be this 'accusitory and negative tone' to them; blaming us for everything and making us feel bad instead of good. Who is the accusor of the brethren ... we know who it is ... (Revelation 12:10)

People get better when they feel good about themselves; a child acts better with encouragement from their parents; a dog trains best with reward, not punishment; and I do better and feel better when I feel good about myself and my life ...

Thanks for sharing this with us all here ... I have been searching for a more positive bible-based plan for ages, so I will take a look at it ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 03-18-2010 at 02:40 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:20 PM   #4  
Rosebud

Here's a short synopsis of Dr. Rita Hancock's plan (well, not so short after all) ...

What if you could eat whatever you want and still lose weight?

In The Eden Diet, Dr. Rita M. Hancock teaches you how to lose weight by attuning to, and harnessing the power of your hunger pangs -- by using them as a compass to tell you when and how much to eat. On this plan, you get to eat any food you enjoy, even cheeseburgers, pizza, desserts, and junk food—but in smaller portions than the world would have you believe is normal, and only when you're actually hungry.

Through the book, Dr. Hancock exposes food industry and advertising and marketing tactics that lead you to eat when your body doesn't need food. She teaches you how to reject those misleading messages and rely on the only information you can trust—the hunger signals that God programmed into you in the beginning.

*** THE EDEN DIET: by Dr. Rita Hancock ***

Our Philosophy: No Condemnation! (Romans 8:1)

-- Some people come to me for weight loss to improve their health and self-esteem, to be good role models for their kids and grandkids, to look and feel more attractive, and to enhance their relationships.

-- Other people come with emotional issues that complicate weight control. In their case, it's necessary to address the deep-down emotional issues in addition to their eating habits, or those people will almost certainly regain any weight they lose. These people take longer to help, but they are still VERY helpable.

-- Still others come to me in a state of fear. Either they have fear of losing their health, which often is a reasonable concern, or perhaps they fear more generalized punishment from God over their weight problems. Believe it or not, some Christians believe that how they eat (whether or not they have been "obedient" to God through their diet) actually determines their salvation!

-- Hear me now: this philosophy is absolutely wrong! It's based on works! Once you ask Jesus to be the Lord of your life; you are saved by His grace once and for always, no matter what you weigh or how you eat. God may convict you to take control of your weight problem, but He won't condemn you over it. He is merciful, not vindictive. (Hallelujah, Amen!)

-- Other people come to me with issues of low self-esteem and perfectionism. They don't realize that no matter how much weight they lose, they will never feel good enough about themselves. It doesn't matter how thin they become. They will always feel that they have just a little more weight to lose before they are "done."

-- Please hear me as I counsel you, as I have the voice of experience. Not only do I have an Ivy League education on these matters, I personally lost 75 pounds over 25 years ago and have walked the [admittedly imperfect] walk to keep the weight off. (so she understands us; yeah!)

-- If you want to lose weight and improve your health, do it the right way and for the right reasons. Let go of your perfectionism, low self-esteem, guilt, shame, self-condemnation and fear, and let God work through you so you don't have to struggle. Persevere, be patient, reject the guilt and shame, and ultimately, you will see that your weight loss and your joy will become permanent.

--------------------------------------------------------
Biblical Basis of The Eden Diet ...

In the Eden Diet, I teach people to eat when they're physically (not emotionally) hungry and learn how to eat all foods-even fattening foods occasionally and in moderation. (Philip 4:5)

How do I justify this biblically? In the New Testament, Jesus said, "Don't worry about what you eat or drink." (Matthew 6:25 & 31) And, "What comes out of a man is more important than what goes into him." (Mark 7:15) In other words, your relationships with God and others are more important than what you eat.

Paul said in 1 Corinthians 10:31, "Whatever you do, whether you eat or drink, do it to the glory of God." That's why I tell you to tune into the hunger and satiety signals God programmed into your body, thanking Him for giving you a guide that governs eating, and eat smaller portions of the food He gave you with satisfaction and thankfulness.

Yes, I'm saying you can even eat treats and lose weight. You just have to learn how to differentiate true, physical hunger from emotional cravings, and that's not something most people learn overnight. It takes time, prayer, perseverance, and patience, especially if you've spent a lifetime using food as an emotional crutch.

With my help on the Eden Diet, you can learn how to eat small portions of treats occasionally and when you're physically hungry. If you do that, you will break out of bondage to food and feel so liberated emotionally and spiritually that you won't even want to overeat anymore.

Then, you will lose weight in a more joyful, effortless, and positive way---in the flow of God's love!

--------------------------------------------------------
About the Program -- The Eden Diet is a comprehensive ...

CHRISTIAN WEIGHT LOSS PROGRAM that teaches you:

* How to lose weight while eating rich, delicious desserts and junk food (in moderation) so you can lose weight without feeling deprived!

* How to balance those fleshly desires for treats with your body's instinctive call for healthy food.

* How to beat temptation from advertising and other media. How to beat emotional eating and mindless, automatic eating habits.

* How to draw willpower from God through prayer --- SO YOU CAN LOSE WEIGHT AND KEEP IT OFF PERMANENTLY, just like Dr. Hancock did!

* Length of time on program: Permanent. Once you start you won't want to stop!

* Time requirements per day: No more than thirty minutes each day for prayer and completion of the workbook exercises.

$17.95 for an AUTOGRAPHED copy of the book
$16.95 for an AUTOGRAPHED copy of the workbook
$9.99 each for the relaxing audio CDs.
There is no additional cost to attend the workshops.
There is no additional cost to receive the monthly, safe-subscribe newsletters.

*NOTE: you can get her books from Amazon.com and possibly Half.com too.

---------------------------------
FAQs About the Eden Diet ...

Q: The focus of the Eden Diet is learning how to attune to your hunger pangs and use them to your advantage. Does that mean that you're supposed to feel hungry all the time on this program?

A: No way! You're supposed to feel hungry only right before you eat, but then eat with intense satisfaction and joy. Eating with satisfaction brings freedom from bondage so that, in time, you become less focused on food and more focused on God.

Q: If eating for hunger and eating for satisfaction are equally important, why does waiting for hunger get more emphasis in the book?

A: Waiting for hunger requires self-discipline. Eating with pleasure is easier to learn.

Q: Why do some overweight people need to be encouraged to eat with a mindset of satisfaction?

A: If obese dieters break down and eat treats, they usually feel guilt, shame, and condemnation, and those emotions rob them of their eating joy.

Q: How often do you eat on this plan?

A: Different people prefer different eating schedules. If you want to eat multiple tiny meals, go ahead. It's good practice so you can learn how to identify and respond appropriately to hunger. But if you prefer to eat fewer larger meals, like I do, that's fine too. Just wait until you're hungry before you eat.

Q: Why do some overweight people claim that they're "starving to death" all the time?

A: Saying that you're "starving to death" when you're overweight broadcasts your anxiety about going without food for only a short time, and tells me that you may have gained weight by using food as an emotional crutch* (no kidding; and they may have food issues from childhood too). Remember, it is normal to feel hungry before you eat!

Q: What if you never feel hungry?

A: Chances are that you have extra food stored on your body as fat. After you lose some of your excess weight by eating smaller portions and increasing your energy expenditure through exercise, your hunger pangs will probably become more noticeable.

Q: Won't you want to eat junk food all the time if you're allowed to eat it occasionally?

A: The opposite is true. Once you know that you're allowed treats, those foods lose their magical grip on you and you actually begin to crave healthier food more frequently.

Q: Can you eat normal serving sizes of any food and lose weight?

A: It depends on what you mean by a "normal" serving size. Sometimes what the world calls a "normal" portion is too much, especially if the food is very rich. Focus on eating slowly and eating smaller portions with more satisfaction, and the rest will fall into place.

Q: What if you require or prefer a special diet, such as a gluten-free, yeast-free, diabetic, low- salt, or vegetarian diet?

A: No matter what food you are required to or allowed to or prefer to eat, you will benefit from learning how to eat smaller portions and for the right reasons. The Eden Diet can be tailored to meet your personal needs and preferences.

*** The Apple Test ???

Dr. Rita advocates a very simple technique, called The Apple Test, which can help you decide when it's time to eat. The premise of the test is that when you're physically hungry, you'll eat anything, even an apple.

If you crave a particular food, like the chocolate cake shown on the cover of the book, imagine it sitting on a plate next to a beautiful, shiny, perfect, bright red apple.

Ask yourself, "Am I hungry enough to eat the apple?" If the answer is no, you don't get to eat the cake. You may want the cake, but you're not actually physically hungry for it.

--------------------------------------

*On the Eden Diet, you spend less on groceries because normal food is cheaper than diet food, you eat less, and you don't pay fees. Focus on helping others and see how God blesses you!

NOTE: the comments in the (brackets) are my personal thoughts. Rosebud

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 03-18-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:30 PM   #5  
Rosebud

You know, Dr. Rita's Apple Test reminded me of a trick my cousin uses to keep herself from gaining weight. When she was pregnant with her first child, she devised this trick ... she put a bowl of "Five Fresh Fruits" on her counter, and she couldn't have anything else extra to eat that day until she ate all five of those fruits, and yes, it worked ...

I was thinking that if you are diabetic or have other food issues that you could just put a combination of 3-5 healthy snacks (fruit included) in a bowl on your counter or table; then make the same rule apply. (Put notes or cards in the basket for stuff you have to keep in the fridge like yogurt or cheese)

Dr. Rita's Apple Test is very revealing though isn't it? If you aren't hungry enuff for the apple, then you aren't really hungry after all ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 03-18-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:38 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 230/228/145

Height: 5'6

This sounds good. Is anyone interested in starting one on this sight. I have not got my book on it or work book but if we could get as group together I would get my book etc.. Bootsie
Bootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:14 PM   #7  

Default The Eden Diet

I was reading the Weigh Down book. And read a post here about The Eden Diet.I went on her internet site and listen to sevral interviews on radio shows. I think this would be something I could do. I ordered the book last night on Amazon. I can't wait to start reading it.
Ann
patricia54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:28 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsie View Post
This sounds good. Is anyone interested in starting one on this sight. I have not got my book on it or work book but if we could get as group together I would get my book etc.. Bootsie
Hi Bootsie I have thought of you a lot. How are you doing? And your animals?

I just ordered the book and workbook last night. I ordered mine from Amazon.com mainly because I have an account there already and it should be here by Tuesday or Wednesday. I plan to do it. If all goes well, I may order a couple of her cd's as well.

Actually, I went to the place on her site that lets you read some of the book (I found it under "buy the book now"). It was in adobe forum so I printed some of it I read the info before I decided to order it. I wanted to know if I really wanted to spend the money. I'm sort of in the 7 day challenge until I get the book and read. She talks about doing 30 day blocks, which seems to be a month at a time. So I hope to start the 30 day blocks on April 1st. That way I'll have time to get the book and read it to find out more by the time I start that part of it.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:42 PM   #9  

This looks very promising.

I joined the Yahoo group but immediately got a message that she is starting her how website forum and to sign up for that. So that might be a better format than Yahoo.

I have ordered the book. It is making sense to me. My biggest problem isn't knowing when I am hungry but knowing when I am satiated. This way of eating also helps me to not worry about "having the right foods" with me or having to make major plans before travel or going out.

Dawn
Dawn415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:44 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 230/228/145

Height: 5'6

I will have to order mine through the book store in town. Hubbie will not let me use the credit card on line and amazon told me last year ,they don't accept checks anymore. So I will check with my book store next week , they might even have it in stock at the Christian book store. I also seen where they are going to have a more private forum on the diet, I like that. If this works for me, I may start a group here, in my town.

Hey!Hey! Trish! Was wondering where you went too! My computer was in the hospital for a while and then I could not remember my pass word for here , so it took me a while to get back. How are you doing. I walked with my friend this morning first time this year 3 miles . My pants are tight but I have not gave up, still in my 14 Misses but ya know the new pants I have to get 4 times bigger because they all go under my belly button, hate them! You can't bend over without them falling off, don't know who created them. I do know one thing, they need to go back to the drawing board and come up with some nice jeans that you don't feel like a plumber in!

Last edited by Bootsie; 03-18-2010 at 10:03 PM.
Bootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:43 PM   #11  
Rosebud

BOOTSIE ~ I agree with you about the clothes -- all the underwear and pants that have been cut off a few inches above the crotch; and tops with the sleeves cut off too. It seems like these are children's clothes in bigger sizes to me -- I won't buy'em or wear'em. Thank goodness, I have lots of clothes right now ...

I'll have to see where I could get her book; I don't have an account with anyone as of yet and we have no book store nearby. Hmmm ... will have to think about this one. I don't know where Canadians get their books from; will have to ask around.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:29 PM   #12  
Rosebud

I downloaded the first chapter for FREE to my PC last night and read it (it's in a PDF format and easy to get; and it does sound very sensible and promising. I had a good laugh a few times as I was reading it though, becuz it seems Dr. Rita and I have some of the same views on some things.

The program sounds quite simple and easy to follow too; and I like that very much. She is a Christian lady and makes no bones about that. I like the idea that you don't have to count cals or carbs or anything like that; all you have to do is learn serving or portion sizes, which I have already done.

Then you eat that for awhile in 30 day increments and just lower the portion sizes from there over time. What she tries to help us all learn is to eat as close to "NORMAL" as is possible; the way we should be eating, and somehow lost or didn't learn somewhere along the way.

PLus she promises lots of tips on how to learn to enjoy yummy foods in moderation, so we can have a more abundant life like GOD intended for all of us. I really like what I have read so far and think it is worth investigating further ...

Also, I think I have found some Canadian places that I should be able to get her book from too ... Rosebud
Old 03-20-2010, 09:34 AM   #13  

I can't seem to find where to download this. Can you direct me?

I have ordered the book, but I think Amazon is sold out because they are shipping the workbook now but not the book! YIKES!

Thanks for the preliminary review.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwant2Bhealthy View Post
I downloaded the first chapter for FREE to my PC last night and read it (it's in a PDF format and easy to get; and it does sound very sensible and promising. I had a good laugh a few times as I was reading it though, becuz it seems Dr. Rita and I have some of the same views on some things.

The program sounds quite simple and easy to follow too; and I like that very much. She is a Christian lady and makes no bones about that. I like the idea that you don't have to count cals or carbs or anything like that; all you have to do is learn serving or portion sizes, which I have already done.

Then you eat that for awhile in 30 day increments and just lower the portion sizes from there over time. What she tries to help us all learn is to eat as close to "NORMAL" as is possible; the way we should be eating, and somehow lost or didn't learn somewhere along the way.

PLus she promises lots of tips on how to learn to enjoy yummy foods in moderation, so we can have a more abundant life like GOD intended for all of us. I really like what I have read so far and think it is worth investigating further ...

Also, I think I have found some Canadian places that I should be able to get her book from too ... Rosebud
Dawn415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:01 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn415 View Post
I can't seem to find where to download this. Can you direct me?

I have ordered the book, but I think Amazon is sold out because they are shipping the workbook now but not the book! YIKES!

Thanks for the preliminary review.Dawn
Dawn I went to The Eden Diet website and at the bottom it had a picture of the book and said "Buy now". When I clicked on it to see how much it cost, it allowed me read some of the book in PDF form and I also printed out some of the info. Hope this helps.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:43 PM   #15  

I joined the new support group for The Eden Diet. It is just being formed but I think it will be good. They are going to have 2 meetings a month in a chat room. I am really looking forward to getting my book Wednesday.

Y'all have a great week end.