South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-19-2010, 08:12 PM   #1  

Default Nausea

I am on day one of phase one and I am so nauseated! I am gagging while eating veggies now. I already hate them! I have gone to the library and gotten the updated book and ate everything exactly I was supposed to eat. Does this go away?
lanagrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:27 PM   #2  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Lanagrace, I'm sorry you're feeling so poorly. I'm certainly concerned in that you really feel you hate veggies and are gagging on day one P1. Do you have a nutritionist you could make an appointment with (our hospital has one) and sit down and discuss your specific medical concerns with. Are you breast feeding? That could present some specific modifications, as well.

What the SBD book will explain is that this is a lifestyle change which promotes good health. I'm thinking that if you have medical concerns and are only 15 pounds from goal that you may actually be a good candidate for a long term change with your eating habits.

We can give you all the support we can, but only you will be able to decide if your health concerns are worth the change in your lifestyle. I'm saying this with *hugs* and warm wishes because we eat LOTS of veggies around here-every day.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: maintaining

I have a couple of thoughts. First, you don't need to follow the menu plan in the books. Most of us don't. Second, lots of people feel poorly for the first few days. That passes. I also found that peanuts for a snack and beans really helped me with that initial not-so-great feeling. I definitely felt hunger initially and maybe you are feeling that too, but it feels like nausea. Third, try other veggies or other ways to prepare them. I have found that roasting makes them much more palatable for me. I can eat a ton of green bean fries! I'd suggest you hang with it, try modifying the food to fit your taste, see how you feel. Good luck!
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:42 PM   #4  

Thanks for your concerns. I think I wont be able to handle south beach phase one right now. I am currently on a med called metformin for pcos problems. I have too much insulin so my endo is trying to lower it with metformin. I think that can make you where you need to eat a little more carbs. I could always do more of a phase 2. I need to eat good carbs and not eat too many at each meal but I think I need them. I am going to see a nutritionist also. I have bingeing problems as well sometimes. Thanks
Old 03-19-2010, 10:43 PM   #5  

I like some veggies like spinach and I love salads with crunchy veggies and romain lettuce. I just am not found of cooked veggies cooked any way.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:05 PM   #6  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanagrace View Post
I love salads with crunchy veggies and romain lettuce.
Me, too! I would say that I get at least 75% of my veggies from 2 giant salads every day. I add cucumbers, radishes, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, green onion, carrots, and in the summer lots of fresh cherry tomatoes. I use romaine, arugula, kale, spinach and butter lettuce for my greens.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:25 PM   #7  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
I am currently on a med called metformin for pcos problems. I have too much insulin so my endo is trying to lower it with metformin.
While lowering carbs to a more reasonable place for PCOS/IR, Met itself can make you queasy when first starting it. I remember when I was on it I complained about nausea and was switched from the regular Met to Metformin XR (extended release) which was much more tolerable.

The second time I got all nauseated and grossed out was way later... it turned out I'd improved, and no longer needed the Met XR! So I got to come off it.

Just putting it out there in case it helps.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 03-19-2010 at 11:27 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:52 PM   #8  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Were you eating cooked vegetables when you felt ill? If you don't like them before South Beach, you won't like them now! And to make sure you make this a way of life, you don't want to start off eating things you don't like or you won't stick to the plan.

Unlike others, I don't think feeling ill makes sense on Day 1 of Ph 1. Maybe talk to your doctor about your meds?

Good luck in finding what ails you and if SBD is right for you, then we hope to have you around more often
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:31 AM   #9  

I have been feeling great on my meds. I have been on them for over a month. It was today after I ate phase 1 and I felt ill. I am going to do phase 2 for now.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:04 PM   #10  
having Senior Moments

S/C/G: 265/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Just for WIW - I've taken metformin for years with no problems, & 8 mos or so ago, I started having nausea. It was the metformin. So it sounds like it can bite you at any time.
soiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:26 PM   #11  
Be happy.

How are you feeling today lanagrace?
Better I hope!
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:36 PM   #12  

I felt so much better after I started eating regularly and not doing phase one. The nausea went away completely. I am not cut out for this diet.