Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-08-2010, 10:34 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 255/230/150

Height: 5'2"

Default Instant Sugar Free Pudding

Lastnight I discovered that instant sugar free pudding can be made with water rather than milk. That means that 1/2 cup serving is just 25 calories. Sweet!
Razorcandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:11 AM   #2  
Losing weight since 2009

S/C/G: 310/138/132

Height: 5'7

Huh, I never knew that. I love pudding but almost never make it (I rarely buy milk) but I think I'll try making it with water, especially if it's only 25 calories/serving. Thanks soooooo much for sharing!!!

Last edited by Gracie789; 03-08-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Gracie789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Years and years ago, my grandmother suggested this to me, for making frozen pudding pops, and I thought the outcome was absolutely horrible.

Maybe it would be better made as pudding, or some flavors come out better than others, and I was just unlucky.

I'll have to consider giving it another try. Or at least use half milk and half water as a compromise.

Last edited by kaplods; 03-08-2010 at 03:37 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:52 PM   #4  
Meg

Maybe making it with almond milk would be a compromise? It's about half the calories of skim milk. I'm hooked on almond milk (unsweetened vanilla) on my Kashi GoLean.

Dry SF pudding mix is really good stirred into cottage cheese. My fave is LF cottage cheese, SF chocolate pudding mix (1/4 packet) and a tablespoon of natural PB. It seriously tastes like a Butterfinger!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:15 PM   #5  
Es ist ein neuer Tag!

S/C/G: Highest 280+

Height: 5' 7"

I use SF pudding and SF Jello mixes to flavor my protein shakes. Endless possibilities.
MamaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:08 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Maybe making it with almond milk would be a compromise? It's about half the calories of skim milk. I'm hooked on almond milk (unsweetened vanilla) on my Kashi GoLean.
I am too!
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:10 PM   #7  

Great ideas.

I was given friendship bread starter and was dismayed with the calorie content. Maybe SF puddings would be a good place to start by shaving the calories off. Oil is another matter.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:47 PM   #8  
natalie

S/C/G: 260/171.2/145

Height: 5'7"

Quote:

Dry SF pudding mix is really good stirred into cottage cheese. My fave is LF cottage cheese, SF chocolate pudding mix (1/4 packet) and a tablespoon of natural PB. It seriously tastes like a Butterfinger!
Mmm almond milk! Where do you buy that?

And I've never thought to make pudding with water. I'd try half and half to see how I like it... cos the milk adds a little flavor to the pudding. Good tip though, thanks. =]
oodlesofnoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:07 PM   #9  
Meg

I can find almond milk in my regular grocery store. It comes in both shelf stable cartons and now they have refrigerator cartons too. If your grocery store carries soy milk, either refrigerated or shelf stable, almond milk would probably be next to it.

One thing to be aware of with almond milk is that it comes either sweetened or unsweetened. If it says "original", "vanilla", or "chocolate", then it's the sweetened variety. It also come in "unsweetened original", "unsweetened vanilla", and "unsweetened chocolate". If you're watching your sugar intake, you might want to look for the unsweetened. Unsweetened is also lower in calories.

Give it a try.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:09 AM   #10  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen925 View Post
I was given friendship bread starter and was dismayed with the calorie content. Maybe SF puddings would be a good place to start by shaving the calories off. Oil is another matter.
You can definitely use SF pudding mix. You can also substitute applesauce or pumpkin puree for some or all of the oil. And you can substite 1/4 cup egg beaters for some of the eggs, if your recipe calls for more than one egg. If your recipe calls for milk, you can use skim milk. All of that should help quite a bit with the calories, especially subbing pumpkin puree for the oil.

I've also made friendship bread using Splenda instead of sugar (in the batter, not in the starter--you have to use sugar in the starter). But it does change the texture--the bread doesn't rise as much and is chewier. It might come out closer to the real thing if you used half Splenda, half sugar.

Last edited by BlueToBlue; 03-15-2010 at 03:10 AM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:17 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueToBlue View Post
You can definitely use SF pudding mix. You can also substitute applesauce or pumpkin puree for some or all of the oil. And you can substite 1/4 cup egg beaters for some of the eggs, if your recipe calls for more than one egg. If your recipe calls for milk, you can use skim milk. All of that should help quite a bit with the calories, especially subbing pumpkin puree for the oil.

I've also made friendship bread using Splenda instead of sugar (in the batter, not in the starter--you have to use sugar in the starter). But it does change the texture--the bread doesn't rise as much and is chewier. It might come out closer to the real thing if you used half Splenda, half sugar.
Great tips. Thank you for taking the time to post.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:03 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 285/195/175

Height: 5'6"

Quote:

Meg - I just tried this! OMG - fantastic!! Best contraption I have tried in a long time...now all it needs is something crunchy... I was thinking some all bran buds or a 1/4c of fibre one and it'd be the perfectest treat! I never mix stuff with cottage cheese (I don't take alot of risks with cottage cheese, I should say) so it was really cool to try! Thanks for the idea!
JennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:56 PM   #13  

I look forward to trying this too.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:22 AM   #14  
Meg

Glad you liked it! For crunch in cottage cheese, I like to mix in 1/2 portion of Kashi Go Lean. Fiber One or Bran Buds would work great too! There's tons we can do with cottage cheese and it's a fairly portable meal.

I'm traveling but when I get home, I'll dig out some more of my recipes.