Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-17-2010, 04:53 PM   #1  
Endeavor to Persevere

S/C/G: 386/see ticker/200

Height: 5'7"

Default Hungry Girl

Has anybody ever seen her books or tried any of her recipes? I just recently purchased the HG 200 under 200 which is 200 recipes that are 200 calories or under! I haven't had a chance to try them out yet and was wondering if anybody else has!
thinmintintraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:23 PM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I've seen them but it didn't appeal to me.

I'm not up for "cutesy" design and recipe names. Too hard to find in the index.

Also not crazy about some of the processed ingredients.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 03-17-2010 at 05:23 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:31 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I enjoy reading the blog, but haven't bought the cookbook. I've tried and liked a few of the recipes I found on the site, but not many though, as they're mostly remodels of fast food items. Since I've never been a huge fan of fast food, the reduced calorie versions don't hold much more appeal for me than the full-calorie versions.

I did like the baked onion rings though.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:51 PM   #4  
it's always something

Too much faux food for me. But there are a lot of members here that enjoy the recipes and have found them helpful with their diets.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:00 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 285/195/175

I absolutely love love love Hungry girl!! I always go to her website, and I have both cookbooks and anxiousally waiting for the 3rd one to hit the shelves! My only problem is that I live in Canada so alot of products she uses are unavailable here so I have to find substitutes, but I love her swaps and 200 under 200 is by far my fav cook book! (Try the pumpkin cheesecake, DELISH!!!!)

I use them all the time so if your wondering aobut a certain recipe, just ask, maybe I've tried it!
JennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:56 PM   #6  
Endeavor to Persevere

I want to try the creme brulee'! Have you tried it?
Old 03-18-2010, 11:55 AM   #7  
CHEEZBURGER!

S/C/G: 149/147/135

Height: 5'3"

I bought the book, but I plan on returning it. Like Suzanne mentioned, the recipe ingredients usually include a lot of super-processed fake foods.
grrlscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:38 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

I LOVE her website, but don't have her cookbooks. My favorite recipe on the website is the mug pioe, and for me, it's a real lifesaver when I NEED mega chocolate. I don't care if the ingredients are processed for an occasional snack and if it helps with a wicked craving, it's perfect for ME. I haven't tried too many of the recipes, though. Did get stuff for a fried chicken fake/remake thingy, but haven't cooked it yet.

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:35 PM   #9  

I haven't tried the creme brulee yet, but I have been highly considering it!!! Perhaps I should - or you can and let me know how it is?!
Old 03-18-2010, 06:51 PM   #10  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Like other people here I am not that big of a fan. I USED to be. She has a lot of great ideas but uses so much fake food that isn't always less calories or healthier for you. The main meal I enjoy cooking is dinner, and I don't find many of her recipes very dinner like. Lots of snacks, lunch and dessert. That being said, I do have both her books and read her newsletters daily. But I rarely make her recipes anymore. I have made a few but they never wow'd me. I hate all the splenda and syrups - she uses too much stuff that I just don't keep in the house. Tons of pre-packaged food like Vita Tops and Boca Products - too expensive! Every now and then I see something and go yum, I wanna try that - but never do. A lot of her stuff is single person friendly, hard when I am cooking for two or want left overs.

A cookbook I LOVE is Eat, Shrink and Be Merry. They use ingredients I keep on hand and have tons of wonderful recipes that don't use a bunch of artificial sweeteners, processed cheese, fake meat and gross noodles. And when I read their cookbooks I don't feel like they are being paid by companies to talk about them.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:01 PM   #11  
Endeavor to Persevere

HG Update!!

I have tried a couple of the recipes and are quite pleased with them. Jenny, I made the creme brulee tonight and it was great. The only thing was that I don't have a kitchen torch (yet!) and I didn't chill it for 2 hours but the taste was great and almost like the real thing.

I have also tried the Cheesy Pepperoni Pizza Scramble and I thought it was very delish!! I have never really been an egg person but I am growing to really like the Fit & Active egg substitute from Aldi. It's inexpensive too!!

Oh, I also made the chocolate cupcakes with the marshmallow fluff topping, they were also great! I am gonna have to dig in that book some more for something else to make!
Old 03-23-2010, 12:52 AM   #12  

Height: 6'

The cheesy butternut squash bake in her book is fantastic. I hated squash until I tried that.

While I may not follow all her recipes exactly I love them for the ideas and as a starting place for a new meal.
zoya417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:04 PM   #13  

I checked it out from the library, but have yet to use it. I'm hoping to, because I think it's a great concept :-)
ValentineNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:29 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 280/255/Healthy, Happy, Strong

Thanks for mentioning her! I don't want TV so I am sort of out of the loop on a lot of things. I looked at her website and like a lot of the recipes I am reading so far. I can tell that even if I don't end up using the recipe en masse I will definitely pick up some ingredient swap ideas. I'm too busy to do everything by scratch!
Renwomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:44 PM   #15  

Thinmintintraining - I'm gonna try that creme brulee, I also don't have a kitchen torch! but thanks for letting me know it will still work!

Also, Eat shrink and be merry is one of the best cook books around!! As much as I love HG, I do have to agree with sotypical when it comes to having the ingredients in hand, usually when I plan to make a recipe I have to spend a fortune to make it- but most of the time, I find its worth it, and sometimes - most of the time, I use hg's ideas to make my own versions, because alot of those snack and lunch ideas are things I would never think of mixing together!
Next week her new book comes out - I'm excited.

I definitly recommend Eat shrink and be merry - very good and alot more natural everyday ingredients!