Old 03-03-2010, 09:58 PM   #1  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Question Favorite Fish & Preparation?

I was wondering what your favorite fish is and how you like to prepare it? Plus how often do you eat fish per week? I have seen warnings that we should only eat fish twice (2 x) a week becuz of the excess mercury in the ocean waters, etc.

Sooo, right now we eat fish one dinner and vary it each week; and one time for lunch (either in a salad or in a sandwish or casserole). I like tin tuna in tuna salad sandwich or in a salad (same for tinned sockeye salmon); and sometimes I will make a pasta casserole with tuna, but only on rare occasion though (DH likes that).

I really love lemon-peppered sole lightly breaded or some kinds of fillets in a light seasoned flour, which is how I usually do Pike, Pickerel, or Pollock. I have done them sauteed also though; like I like to do Wild Pacific Salmon in a little Ceasar dressing (sauteed or baked), and both DH and I loved that.

Would love your suggestions on how to cook fresh lake Rainbow Trout: we were given some recently, and I can only recall it fried in crackers crumbs in the past. Thanks for your suggestions ...
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Believe it or not, I like poached fish served on a bed of cilantro, green onions, soy sauce and drizzled with olive oil. It works with any fish at all. My preference is sockeye salmon but I experiment with whatever I find fresh and on sale.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:19 PM   #3  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Thanks Thighs ~ yes, POACHED, is the right word; I kept asking myself ... what is that called, but since I couldn't remember, I said "sauteed" ...

Anyhoo, I used to do my Pike that way a lot too, esp if I was in a hurry and didn't have a lot of time for fussin' -- often with soya sauce, onions, and even adding a little bit of ketchup (about 1-2 tbl) which almost makes PIKE taste and look more like salmon (a Canadian trick). Putting it all on a bed of cilantro sounds like a pretty way to serve it; and some lemon slices would be nice too.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:20 PM   #4  

Height: 5'6"

Halibut. Cooked on the foreman grill with EVOO, crushed garlic, and seasonings. We catch our own.
siobhanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 01:31 AM   #5  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

We have our own salmon and halibut that we catch every summer, and get so much it lasts us the year. My favorite salmon is actually SUPER easy - just a little bit of Johnny's or Tony's blend seasoning, in a microwave steamer bag! Started making this in the dorms in college and it's still my favorite today. We also eat a lot of salmon dip and veggies for snacks. For halibut, we thaw it, put a little, little, little bit of mayo over the top to seal the fish, with spinach leaves and a bit of cheddar on top and pop it in the oven. Yummo.
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:38 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 200/189/140

Height: 5' 5"

After growing up in OK, where I thought the only kinds of fish were either bass, crappie or catfish, my favorite these days is plain old Tilapia -- I buy it frozen at Wal-Mart in huge quantities. One super easy way I prepare is to first spray the teflon pan with lemon-flavored Pam -- plop in the THAWED fillets -- lightly season and that's about it. It only takes a few minutes per side. Then some lemon juice on them when they're ready. I could eat this every day --
Another super easy way (and NO mess!) is to set your fillets out to thaw while you're cleaning and chopping veggies. Make a foil pack for each person and put the rough-cut veggies on first. I use a small potato (for DH) plus carrots, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower -- whatever I have on hand. Put the thawed fillet on top. Lightly season. Wrap up tightly and put the packs on a cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. No mess -- tastes great -- VERY healthy!
OK Lizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:50 PM   #7  
WW Moderator

Rosebud, I just read on Dr Weil's site the other day that you can consume fish safely up to 6x a week if it's Wild Alaskan salmon (aka expensive ). Alaskan fish is less likely to have strong mercury levels, and it has the best ratio of Omega oils. He also suggests sardines, herring and sablefish.

Have you tried fish tacos? (More fish and less tortilla) Use a fajita marinade or some lemon pepper and cilantro with a teeny bit of beer, cook in Pam. Fill up the tortilla with fish and copious amounts of fresh pico de gallo. YummEE!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:31 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I'm so sick of canned tuna, I'm going to give my stash to the food bank.

Pacific salmon, tilapia, canned salmon and we had scallops last night. I probably eat fish 3 or 4 times a week.

I have poached fish on a steaming bed of sauteed onions. Yum!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:09 AM   #9  
CHEEZBURGER!

S/C/G: 149/147/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by siobhanmc View Post
Halibut. Cooked on the foreman grill with EVOO, crushed garlic, and seasonings. We catch our own.
How lucky you are to be able to catch your own! A friend of the family is a big sportsman, and he caught a gigantic halibut during his last Alaska trip. We got some of it, and it was soooo good. Nice, meaty texture, and super mild flavor.

We were hooked (so to speak . But when I looked for it in the store, it was either really expensive, or from China, or both.

So it's back to tilapia I guess, which I don't really love. I don't care for freshwater fish too much. Kinda muddy tasting.

Nonetheless, I'm making some this week. The fam wants it quickly pan-fried. I'm going to try making mine "en papillote" -- baked in parchment paper. I'll let you know how it turns out.
grrlscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:22 AM   #10  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Here is the shopper's guide for seafood:

http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/c.../download.aspx

I like it fast and hands off so I can fix the sides.

Lay fillet of whatever fish on pan. Sprinkle with Adobo seasoning, soy suace, marinade sauce whatever...on both sides. Broil 5 min one side. Flip and broil up to 5 min on other side.

Done when it flakes when poked around with a fork.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:32 AM   #11  
CanadianVeggie

S/C/G: 207.7/207.7/150

I eat fish 3x a week

Fresh Atlantic Salmon - usually i'll brush it with a miso glaze (white miso, soy sauce, mirin) and broil it on high for about 8 mins then add green onions and seasame seeds

White Fish - Tilipia usually - lightly dusted with bread crumbs (just bread crumbs no milk or anything to make it stick) then bake it. After it is cooked a sprinkle with half salt and squeeze lemon over the top

Tuna - Canned - Have it mixed into a salad or mix it with a little mayo and have it on a weight watchers whole wheat bun with pickles
L R K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:58 AM   #12  
CanadianVeggie

S/C/G: 207.7/207.7/150

Fish Tacos are also super delicious - try this recipe the home made salsa that goes with it is amazing! I could eat it without the fish!

The whole recipe is super light and very delicious!

I changed the salsa ingredients around a little myself to adjust it to my own taste, I would suggest doing the same depending on what you like and don’t like. I added extra of the green chile salsa, because the original amount didn’t seem like enough, and extra red onion).

Enjoy!

Fresh Salmon Tacos
Makes about 6 – 8 tacos

Ingredients

Santa Fe Salsa
1 can (11oz) mexi corn, drained (I used regular canned corn)
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
½ cup black beans, rinsed, drained
½ cup shredded carrots
½ cup green chile salsa (I put more than ½ a cup, probably close to 2/3 cup)
¼ cup diced red onion (I love onion so I put in ½ a cup)

Salmon
2 salmon fillets (about 1 pound in total)
1 tbsp jalapeno and lime flavoured olive oil (you can use plain olive oil)
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Hard or soft taco shells (I used soft)
Shredded iceberg lettuce

Directions
In a medium bowl, combine the Santa Fe Salsa ingredients
Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Brush oil over salmon fillets, salt and pepper to taste
Cook salmon in skillet, about 4 mins per side or until fish is flaky
Let salmon cool then break into chunks
Spoon the Sante Fe Salsa onto the taco shells, garnish with some shredded iceberg lettuce and top with salmon pieces
L R K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:10 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 164.3/see ticker/118

My favourite fish is Steelhead trout. It is very similar to Salmon, but much less oily and much more mild in flavour. I like to marinade in in this:
Ingredients
8 (4 ounce) salmon fillets

1/2 cup peanut oil
1/4 cup light soy sauce
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup green onion, chopped
1 tablespoon brown sugar (I usually use splenda)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Though I usually cut waaaaaayyyy back on the oil and sometimes add in a TBS of sesame oil. Then broil or grill it for a couple of minutes a side.

I also like tilapia. I usually sprinkle the filets with some cajun or blackening seasoning and pan fry it.

I can't find my recipe right now, but fish tacos are my all time fav! Some cajun grilled white fish broken into large bite size pieces, a whole wheat toritilla and some broccoli slaw (no dressing) with a tiny bit of chipotle aioli and some pico de gallo. I could eat those every day!

Last edited by shantroy; 03-16-2010 at 12:11 PM.
shantroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:45 PM   #14  
CHEEZBURGER!

S/C/G: 149/147/135

Man. All this talk of fish tacos has me craving them.

I like to dress mine like so:

Marinated cabbage slaw
Green or napa cabbage, thinly sliced
Vinegar, diluted with water, to taste
Touch of sugar / Splenda / honey or whatever, to taste.
Crushed red pepper
S&P

Let it marinate, at least overnight.

Fish taco sauce
Plain, nonfat yogurt
A little mayo, for body
Lime juice
Ancho chile powder
Salt

I like to keep it in a squeeze bottle. Looks really fancy when zigzagged across the fish.

Last edited by grrlscout; 03-16-2010 at 12:45 PM.
grrlscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:53 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 170/159/135

Height: 5'4"

I like any flakey white fish and salamon. I usually just have lemon and cook them on my George Foreman grill.

Sharon
artic123 is offline   Reply With Quote