Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 02-14-2010, 02:02 AM   #1  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 300/235/190

Height: 5'7

Default The BELLY BOUNCE! what do to when exercising?

Hello everyone! I've lost 75lbs and had a kid in april 2006. Now I'm still losing weight ant the more I lose the more my belly flaps over and hangs lower (not to mention the mons pubis is about to be a mons KNEES!). I can't afford surgery and besides its too early to even think about a sugery (still need to lose ALOT more weight and maintain it for a bit). But my question is what do do about the bouncing belly skin? I see a personal trainer 2x a week and I feel so embarrased. When I do jumping jacks, burps, any exercise where i have to lean over....my belly just flops, hangs, and sags. Yikes! I feel gross and the bounce and tug is soo annoying.

Is there anything I can do? Is there a body suit that helps keep things tight? Or would I just have to wear a girdle while I exercise?!?!
TempleBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

Ha! I want to find this out too. I started a new exercise video yesterday (Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred") which involves jumping jacks and jogging in place and I had to stop and go get a pair of Spanx out of the bedroom dresser before I could go on. Thank God I'm doing this in the privacy of my own home. I had thought of the heavy duty bra but not that.

On another thread I saw someone used tight Lycra tops, and I might try my stretchy camisoles since I have some, maybe two at a time.

I have seen something called "compression tops" and "compression shorts" in the REI etc. catalogues, maybe this is what they are for? You can tell I have spent a lot of time in my life paying attention to athletic wear, LOL.

Susanne
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:53 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Compression bottoms have a lot of uses and one thing they can be used for is definitely to hold things in. I wear compression shorts when I'm doing any exercise that involved bouncing.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:21 PM   #4  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 300/235/190

Height: 5'7

okay im going to look for those. my breasts are shrinking so the brand new sports bra (4OD) i just bought for 50$ is already too big!! i'm at 38 DD but by next month who knows! even the 38 DD sports bra is giving me too much bounce. i feeel so embarrassed doing jump in jacks. I usually pick a spot on the wall to stare it so i dont have to see my reflection and try to do them as fast as possible.

im going to google compression bottoms right now!

Last edited by TempleBody; 02-17-2010 at 10:28 PM.
TempleBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:03 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 271.8/203.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Templebody - first off - YAY. Good for you for going down in weight enough to need new clothes, as annoying as that can be! If it's band size on the exercise bra, can you sew? Would it work to fold over a bit of the band and sew a line of stitches close to each end of the fold? I haven't tried this, but it seems to me it might work.

As for exercise clothing, I've found some nice stuff at Tuesday Morning and TJ Maxx lately, and once I found a brand and a size that seems to work for me I actually have bought stuff on eBay. Much of it new, with tags still attached. Wait for the auctions (instead of Buy it Now), and check out what sniping is (auctionsniper.com is my favorite) to get stuff at the lowest price. I've been spending perhaps 20-30% of retail lately to replace my wardrobe - both work and exercise. For exercise I've been falling in love with Marika stuff. About $15-20 per piece at the stores named above, some neat compression-y tank tops with built in shelf bras, plus some really pretty yoga-style pants with legs that are flared at the bottom (plus neat scroll designs on the leg, or waist bands that match the tops.) My theory - if you love your exercise clothes enough to want to wear them, you'll wear them more. And you can't just put on your exercise clothes and not work out, can you?

Hope that helps!
Aym
aymr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:59 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 238/176/125

Height: 5'5"

Nike's dri fit!!! They're my favorite! I have them in every style and color. They hold everything in without being restricting. They also smooth out the jiggle happening on my rear so I don't have to be engulfed in giant tees. Nike.com and Nike Outlets also have crazy sales on occasion and I rack up whenever they do.
morninggloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:01 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggloria View Post
Nike's dri fit!!! They're my favorite! I have them in every style and color. They hold everything in without being restricting. They also smooth out the jiggle happening on my rear so I don't have to be engulfed in giant tees. Nike.com and Nike Outlets also have crazy sales on occasion and I rack up whenever they do.
I am a 40D (down from a 42D!!) and I bought the Nike Dri Fit sports bra at Academy. I only started using sports bras in the last year or so (my other ones were so uncomfortable due to my size), but it is the most supportive I have tried. I don't do high impact exercise, but it still seems to keep me in place.....I wear it under sweatshirts and it doesn't seem to give me the "uni-boob" effect like some sports bras do.

Last edited by AnnieDrews; 03-18-2010 at 12:01 PM.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote