Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 05:26 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – March 2010 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, diet coach group, diet buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you’ve landed at the site of 3 fat chicks, a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

Previous Beck threads on 3fatchicks.com:

Beck Diet For Life/Solution – February 2010 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – January 2010 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Beck Diet For Life/Solution – December 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – November 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – October 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – September 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – August 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – July 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – June 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – May 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – April 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – March 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – February 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – January 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

The Beck Diet Solution – December 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – November 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – October 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – September 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – August 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – July 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – June 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – May 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – April 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – March 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – February 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – January 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach

The Beck Diet Solution – December 2007 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution - November 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - October 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - September 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - August 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - July 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - May/June 2007
Old 03-01-2010, 05:27 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Got in a walk that included Whole Foods because I needed some sparkling water. Left with a liter of extra virgin olive oil also - at half price - because it wouldn't be on sale if I wasn't supposed to buy it, LOL. CREDIT moi for the walk. CREDIT moi for not buying two liters of EVOO. Ordered Majestic Vegetables with feta cheese at the restaurant last night (with brown rice) - just enough dinner. No appetizers, no desserts, no liquid calories. CREDIT moi. I could eat like that every night and not gain weight.

Congrats to the Canadian Men's Hockey team for a (painful to watch) Gold medal last night.

onebyone - Congrats for getting married - nothing like planning a wedding on top of all you've got going. Do enjoy it as a big deal - it is. Don't try to minimize it just because you aren't having dozens of bridesmaids and a grooms cake. I don't have a special list of "the like" that I avoid; just the standard fried foods, crouton-ed foods, white sauces, glazed - you know, the ones that look like gratuitous calories.

Anne (wndranne) - Yep, "overwhelmed" is the new whelmed. Takes getting used to.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Yay for leaving "eggplant parmigiana" - although you now have me drooling for some. Thanks for the mention of feta cheese yesterday - it got caught in my brain and influenced my dinner order last night.

Shepherdess - Not to be picky, but is "I just fed them, and apparently, all is forgiven" teaching them that food is the solution to anxiety? Hello! What would Beck say, LOL. Yay for sore muscles and "measuring, counting, planning."

Susan (hikergirl) - Kudos for “ok” on the food front - just what every day needs. Hope you're giving yourself credit.

silverbirch - "Cheerio!" back 'atcha (in local vernacular) - could I add "old chap" to a female or is that for men only? Yep, we don't have the Common Buzzard here in North America and have stolen "buzzard" for Turkey Vulture so thoroughly that most NA readers would have thought that's what you referred to, instead of your elegant hawk. Kids here also stop believing in Storks when they learn the facts of life. I do admire that the UK has so many serious birders.

Readers -
Quote:
day 20
Get Back on Track Now

If you're tempted to keep on eating when you now you shouldn't, do the following:

. . .
Continue to eat normally. Some people think, Now that I ate something I wasn't supposed to, I have to make up for it and not eat for the rest of the day. If you allow yourself to think this way, you might end up feeling unhappy and resentful or anxious that you'll be too hungry later on. You might then decide to eat everything you want. You need to put this mistake in perspective. It's just not that big a deal. Go ahead and continue with your eating plan for the rest of the day.
. . .

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 167-8.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:04 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Monday Post

Good thing I delayed posting so that this Australian made it into the March list and spared BillBE from having to cut and paste me again! Today not bad on the Beck front - although I did forget my salad dressing and cheese for lunch salads when I packed - had to go and buy more. By the way (a question from a while back) - in Australia vinegar on chips is becoming more popular but not how it is in England - I remember being quite surprised when i went there that it was so common.

Credits:
  • Have read my cards on my iPhone today - novel and easy to keep to hand. Now need to add an alarm function
  • Checked in
  • Ate somewhat on plan but there was an easter egg incident (it was very small but still)
  • I am reading a small section of Beck tonight
  • I am making a schedule for tomorrow and stuck to my schedule today
  • Recognised hunger v desire. Stopped eating dinner when full
Not so good:
  • No exercise today - still sore and tired from all that standing around in the kitchen yesterday!
  • That (small) Easter egg that was not on plan
Working on:
  • Doing my Beck stuff - mindfully and constantly
Old 03-01-2010, 07:09 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 220/168/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Sunday

WI-no weigh-in. Did not read cards or make a plan. Food – on-plan; Exercise – off-plan (no exercise).
I took a few days off from posting because I was getting so stressed about work. I was off-plan for food Thurs and Fri, but have gotten myself back into the groove for Saturday and Sunday. I’ve been at or under my calorie max for those 2 days. No exercise for over a week. I worked 3 hours on both Saturday and Sunday, and am dreading going back into the breach today.
I did have a food victory yesterday – I made Thai Seafood Curry for the first time. It was delicious!
The Good
- Throughout the day, I identified satisfaction vs fullness while eating, and I stopped eating when satisfied – credit!
- Throughout the day, I identified hunger vs non-hunger before I ate – yep!
- Eat mindfully, enjoying every bite – credit!
- Give credit throughout the day for every positive eating behavior – yep!
- Tolerated non-hunger without eating – credit!
- Used resistance techniques – yes!
- Spontaneous exercise – yep!
- I posted here – yes!

The Bad, and the Ugly
- Read the pink book – nope

I think I’ll do 5 personals today…

seadwaters an easter egg incident? – sounds intriguing… And Easter’s not for another month right? – even more intriguing…

Bill Kudos for exercising again! Glad you are feeling better.

one by one Congratulations on your wedding! I’d recommend keeping it simple and small and concentrate on planning a day where you and DH can have tons of fun.

gardenerjoy Kudos for leaving food on your plate. I still find it a struggle to leave food, but it does get easier.

Anne I empathasize with your feeling overwhelmed. I hope you find a way to reduce the stress in some places in your life. I know I’m feeling overwhelmed at work (luckily home life is calm and easy), and have come close to melting down a couple of times in the last week. I’m not proud of myself at times like these…
Old 03-01-2010, 08:09 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Home Sweet Home!

After ten days away, I am so glad to be back home to my own food comfort zone. All in all I am pleased with my approach to food while away. The Beck techniques were very useful and helpful. It kind of gave me 'something to hold on to' with being away from home. Was I exactly on target all the time? - of course not. But... I am happy with the way it went I used my second food plan - exchanges and allowed up to three hundred extra caloroies per day. I don't think I went over that amount more than once or twice - I am grateful for the willingness to try. Wednesday is my usual weigh day - I am hopeful I won't gasp at that number.

Yesterday was an all day travel day - I left blooming, green & sunny California
to arrive to gray, snowy bleakness in the Midwest. I read my arc, rc, wrote down my food, did my exercises before I left for the airport, gave credit. I've planned my day for food and more - I will go back to counting calories today.

Thanks to everyone for being so helpful and supportive during this trip. I'll try to get back for personals later. I have so much to do today!

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 03-01-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:49 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

I got my eating back on track and am feeling better about the world. The good thing is that after a two days of poor food choices, going back to my regular habits feels good. I feel better eating the healthier food. Exercise was an hour of yoga, which was exactly what my body needed. Now I feel like I can get back into my running routine.

Hikegirl, you gotta love those effortless on plan days. I think I’ve had one once! Keep up the good work.

Wndranne, ouch for the idea of feeling overwhelmed becoming the new normal. I hope you can get a handle on your hectic life soon—are you fully recovered from your surgery.

SilverBirch, I love the thought of cleaning up as resistance training. LOL at “Little things please little minds.”

Nuxmaga, yay for getting some exercise. The winter, especially a tough one, always puts a crimp in exercise. Kudos for putting in all the practice to leave food on your plate, but you’re right about the need to be patient. We didn’t develop these habits overnight and we won’t break them overnight.

Onebyone, great job avoiding the cookies, but LOL at the self-punishment bringing some home. I love the idea of a summer solstice anniversary at Stonehenge. I don’t think having a particular wedding ring you want is asking to much. It’s more than just another piece of jewelry; there’s a lot of meaning there.

We do use sheepdogs to herd the sheep—mostly Border Collies, but dh and I have an Australian Shepherd. Though everyone’s dogs are either green (like ours) or out of practice, so at the moment, the dogs get in the way more than they help. But a good dog can move the sheep so efficiently and its less stress on the sheep. And yes we do use sheep crooks, when we need to catch an individual sheep. In fact, they have sheep hooking contests at sheep fairs. We use the traditional ones that catch a sheep around the neck, but the easiest one to use is about 8 ft long, with a very narrow crook that flares a bit at the bottom. That catches a sheep by the leg, which is much easier when they’re running from you.

BillBE, good job getting in your walk and stocking up on EVOO at the same time. Mmmm, Majestic Vegetables with feta cheese. Kudos for enjoying a healthy meal and skipping the unhelpful extras. LOL, at teaching my sheep to sooth anxiety with food. It is something I ponder, but they only love me because I feed them.

Seadwaters, kudos for a good Beck day. I understand how frustrating the easter egg incident is, but I find these minor indiscretions easier to deal with when I put them in context. I ask myself how I would have handled it in my pre-Beck days, which helps me see my progress.

ChinaMaine, ouch for all the work stress. I understand how easily stress sabotages a good plan! Good job getting back on track and hope work slows down for you soon.

Beverlyjoy, huge congrats on a successful trip! I’m so inspired by how well you handled all of the challenges thrown your way. And great job having a plan in place to get you back to your usual routine—for me, this is a surprisingly difficult transition to make.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:58 AM   #7  

Height: 5'6"

Hi all,

Billblueeyes – Majestic Vegetables, what an interesting name on the menu.

It is a beautiful clear day here in post-Olympic Vancouver - hoping that a non-alcoholic hangover (post Olympic withdrawal) does not set in. I want to stay focused on Advantages, Food Plan, Responses.

Bye for now
Susan
Old 03-01-2010, 11:53 AM   #8  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up Monday-day off

Morning Coaches

I've had breakfast and I think I may tackle the clutter in the living room corner for about an hour. I think if I approach my clutter with time limits maybe I can manage to get stuff done. Seeing my non-progress in February reminds me that I can go on like this ad infinitum, which is how I got into this, literal, mess.

I have had an OP breakfast and intend to be OP all day long.

Shepherdess Have you seen this picture? Talking about sheep dogs always brings it to mind. That I managed to find the orginal story to accompany the photo is just a bonus!http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ay-spring.html Interesting info about the shepherd's crook, especially the little flared out part for catching their springy little limbs! So practical. How long have you tended flocks? Seems your DH was born to it, were you?

hikergirl Were you in that crowd on Robson Street that CTV kept showing on my tv? Did you stand and cheer when Crosby sunk the puck? Here in Ottawa, upstairs in my bedroom with the window open, I heard cars honking horns in every direction when the goal was scored. Local news said the good citizens of Ottawa flowed onto Elgin Street and up to Parliament Hill to sing O Canada around the eternal flame. If we were still living downtown we would have been there too.

Beverlyjoy BiG CREDIT for staying on plan while away and arriving home to fearlessly, even slightly eagerly (!), face the scale. That's Beck in action for sure. I am always glad to hear that there is greenery somewhere in the world when we are still covered with snow. Though there are signs of hope: my cement porch in the back can now be seen where the snow has melted from the side of the house. And my lack of fall yard clean up is starting to show through. Yikes. Oh Well.

ChinaMaine Kudos for the many and continuing Beck strategies in your life. Sorry for the work stress but so glad it stays confined to your work life and doesn't follow you into your home! Yay for that. I hope it all eases up soon.

seadwaters CREDIT for all your Beck strategies as well. So neat to know you are inthe sweltering late summer heat of Australia. When are summer holidays there as in when does school let out and go back for the kids? When do most people travel? A question about the type of vinegar used on french fries aka chips: malt vinegar or regular white? What's more common? Also, do Aussies call potato chips "chips" or the British "crisps" or do the British call them "crisps"? We, Canadians, call them chips.

BillBlueEyes Credit for your walk to the store and for resisting the extra bottle of EVOO because it was a "good deal". Excellent practice for FREE FOOD when it next darkens your doorstep. Credit also for your sportsmanship in extending congratulations to the Canadian Men's Hockey Team. It was a squeaker. I would not want to be Ryan Miller. In every replay of that winning goal there he is letting it in. I suppose it has to be someone but gee. That would be tough. A big to him.

Have a good OP day everyone.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:25 PM   #9  
Green Tomatoes

I move my Ticker on the first of the month, but no movement for this month. Not unexpected, however. I pretty much already dealt with this disappointment by starting the pink book and workbook.

I'm through the introductory material of both.

WI: NC in kg, Exercise: +0, 1408/1400 minutes for February (yay!), Food: op, Read my Advantages and Responses: no
Old 03-01-2010, 03:52 PM   #10  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Hi everyone,

Gosh, it has been a long time. I am hoping I can still be a part of this wonderful group.

Brief update: I have been working. A Lot. It's a good thing, because more and more great opportunities have been coming my way. But the balance with home life and spending time with my daughter (now 6) has been difficult, and there has also been inner resistance to the new, higher level of work ... like part of me has decided I don't deserve this.

So, in short, I gained 30 more pounds. Yecccccccchhhhhhh. There, I said it.

On the up side, I have been meditating everyday for a while and with the combination of that and trying to sense the "inner body" a la Eckhart Tolle, I think I am finally achieving a new peace ... at times ...

So I am back, and back on WW, and with the beginning of a new month I am reviewing the Beck steps once again. I see there are some new folks here as well as familiar screennames that I'm very glad to hear from again.

All best,
Erika
Old 03-01-2010, 06:09 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default Welcome back, eusebius!

So happy to see you, Erika,and be the first to welcome you back! Home. It never ceases to amaze me the wisdom of the WW diet. ..second only to the wisdom of Beck, of course. If I were just a bit more disciplined, I could do that diet. I just am not, but what I love is the wisdom of the gradually reducing points (calories) as your body gets smaller and needs less.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:32 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 220/168/145

Default hi

Erika - I think of you (and dear old Hamilton) often. Are you getting a lot of piano gigs? BTW - we are going to Nova Scotia for summer vacation this year, stepping in your footsteps I think...

You are in the right place, and will find your groove again quickly I'm sure. But, selfishly, I'm just happy to see you back...

ChinaMaine
Old 03-01-2010, 10:29 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello Everyone:

hikergirl- I don't know if I said welcome yet, but if I didn't---Hello and welcome. I am in Olympic withdrawal also.

gardenerjoy- glad to hear you were in your garden- it must be wonderful to have such a long season. We plant after the May long weekend. Good to hear it is spring somewhere.

KidsLibrarylady- I am happy that you are here riding out the bumpy sections with me. I don't know why we make it so difficult...but I know I keep coming back, and so do you, so I think that's progress.

Nuxmaga-yay for you for boxing up the chocolate chip pancakes ...and leaving them behind. And for leaving some eggplant parmigiana on your plate.

midlifecrisis57- you are right - lots of us had a stressful month. Kissing February goodbye.

seadwaters-boy are you ever in prep mode. Excellent. Glad you are getting back on track.

BillBlueEyes- good for you for moving the pecan bowl. Pretty darn hard to eat just one. The hockey game put everyone up here over the moon. What a match. I did feel sad for the American team who played such excellent hockey and looked so depressed afterwards. One of the athletes from another sport was saying that it takes a day or two for those that win silver to start to feel like silver is a huge success too and not a loss.

Shepherdess-good for you for saying Oh Well and moving on.

wndranne- hope things are slowing down for you.

onebyone-kuddos for avoiding the cookies when stressed. Best of luck planning your wedding and congratulations to you and your DH.

silverbirch - hello to you too!!

ChinaMaine-glad to hear you are back in the groove. Would love to have your recipe for the seafood curry- sounds good.

Beverlyjoy-sounds like you did excellent when you were away. It is pretty easy to get way off plan and you did not. Your planning and hard work has paid off.

eusebius-hello to you in Southern Ontario.

For me- slowly climbing out of the depths of defeat last week...

Credit today for:

weighting in
reading advantage and response cards
walking 30 minutes
eating on plan and healthy
planning tomorrow and packing up lunch
posting here
and most of all- I actually managed to eat slowly every meal today. I am really going to focus on this because it is so hard for me but I believe Beck when she says it is crucial to master this. It is hard after 48 years of rushing at lightening speed through meals to turn it around. But one step forward today...

Take care everyone and have a good day tomorrow.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:10 PM   #14  
Practicing Imperfection

Hi All,
I did Zumba today, yay! Tracked food, credit. Had a run of rogue snacking which frustrated me, but only went 100 calories over my goal. I am seeing how many of my calories have no nutrition in them(unless an Easter egg counts as protein???). I may need to pick up the Beck book again. . .
Old 03-01-2010, 11:39 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 303/252/150

Height: 5' 5"

Default Made it

i made it on plan today. Went to Zumba Gold. It is for the active older adult. The median age was well over my 36 years but I could almost figure out what they were doing. I have to determine what is more humiliating.... being the youngest, by far, person in the class but sort of being able to keep up or being with people around my age but having NO idea what I am doing. Regardless, it was a nice feeling to have a little bit of freedom; it's been a long time. I actually started to get really emotional when I realized I was doing something for myself. Had anyone been paying attention, they would have seriously been concerned about my emotional state. I was laughing to myself when I got in there when I realized the age difference and then starting to cry when I realized I had a little time for me. My three-year-old loved the child care, my one-year-old did not. That was predictable. I actually knew the instructor in the class and one of the participants. So much for anonymity.

I am up and unable to sleep. DH is knocked out on Nyquil. So jealous. Personals tomorrow, just wanted to check in for the accountability.

Ceejay-- We CAN Do it!
Closed Thread