Old 03-12-2010, 03:00 PM   #1  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

Default Starting C25K. Anyone with me??

Because of my ankle injury last fall, I have been afraid to run. So, I made a deal with myself that when I got to Onederland, I would start again. I have been riding my exercise bike 4 to 5 nights a week at a good pace, but I am most certainly NOT a cardio athlete. I am still scared I will hurt myself, but I have dr okay to start.

I would like to run some of the Komen Race for the Cure, which is in Columbus in early May.

I found the program at cool running. For those of you that have/are doing this program - is that the best place to go to get the routine? Please give m feedback on the program.

Anyway, I thought I would start a thread for those of us that want to do it to cheer each other on.

Will you join me??
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:34 PM   #2  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

I did the program and its excellent! I ran several 5K races so far. Yes, the cool running website is the best place to get the description of the program. If you have an iPod (which I don't have) I'm told there are excellent music downloads designed with the program. For example, the music is timed with the running times and there is like a narrator encouraging you on..

Please don't get discouraged and give up. There will be days when doing the runs seem very difficult, but there will be other days that you will surprise yourself at how awesome you did!

Don't worry about running fast. If the runs are difficult, go slower. The most important thing is time and not speed. Over time, the speed will get there, but right now just jog really slow.
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:57 PM   #3  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

I was going to. Between snow melt and new snow and subzero temps, the spring is pretty chancy and I thought I'd wait until April. I could be persuaded, though.
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 280/265/140

Height: 5'6

That's what I've decided to do! I've managed to work it in around some other workouts and I'm actually scheduled to start later today!

I've always hated running, but I like it more than sitting on the excercise bike in the house and riding my bike outside makes my bum uber sore, so I'm throwing it in for some variation.

I also got my schedule from cool running. I've decided to take my dog with me as well. It's SO motivating when I'm not by myself. LOL.

When are you going to start?
birdtostone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:15 PM   #5  
Positive Focus

Thanks Matt. I do have an iPod. I will look in the itunes store for the routine. That's a GREAT idea!! Thanks for the encouragement! As long as my ankle doesn't relapse, I am determined. A very determined snail. At 5'1", not much happens too quickly. LOL!

calluna - I hear ya! We are just starting to get nice weather. Spring fever is definitely part of my motivation. Just getting outside is going to be great! I will probably take longer than the 9 weeks, so hop in anytime you can! Pleeeeaassseee!

Birdstone - Me too! Tonight when I get home before dinner. I will lace up the NB and go for it.

I have a HRM watch that I will take with me. I can use it to watch the intervals until i download the iPod plan.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:23 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 323/311/160

Height: 5'6"

I was going to start the program last week, then I got shin splints! I want to do it though, so I'll be in with you! I'll make my first run this afternoon. Congrats on getting down to 199! I'll be there soon I hope!
Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:25 PM   #7  

Hmm, I'll definitely have to look into the Ipod routine as well seeing as I have no watch! I know my ipod has pacemaker or something in it though, so I'll see what I can manage until then.

I have a weak ankle as well. I landed on it, quite literally, when I was in the ninth grade and it's never been the same. So sometimes it goes out on me. I'm definitely hoping this will help strengthen it as opposed to the opposite.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:43 PM   #8  
Positive Focus

Workout #1 FINISHED!!! WOOHOO!! I rock!

So, I downloaded the podcasts before I started out and I am sooo glad I did. I loved them!! Thank you, thank you, thank you Matt for hooking me up there! (They were free, too!)

I started out with the 5 minute walk and felt great. The 60 second intervals thankfully ended each time I thought I was going to die. I also was surprised that I recovered completely during the 90 second intervals. He said I was supposed to be able to carry on a conversation and not be out of breath. Whatever! I was sucking wind so badly I thought I was going to die during those 60 seconds. I might need to stay on week one for a couple of weeks.

When it was over, I felt like a champion! The endorphins had kicked in and I decided to take a victory lap (walking) around the block before going home. It felt so amazing to be out in the night with the breeze. I loved the time to myself to think and reflect, too. I can definitely see why people get hooked on this!

Just before the last turn to go home, my achilles started aching. No biggie, I thought, I will just stretch really well when I get in. A few steps later, my @#$#% peroneal starts aching like a biznitch. I got home still feeling amazing for the accomplishment, but I learned a lesson.

As I sit here with ice on my ankle and some Advil freshly in my system, I solemnly promise that next time I will:

1) Pre-medicate with Advil
2) Wear my orthotic - doh forgot that tonight!
3) Wear a sports bra
4) No more victory laps for a while
5) I will continue with my stationary bike in between

And the last part - I am now a runner! A running snail, but a runner! Whoda thunk that one?!
Old 03-12-2010, 08:30 PM   #9  
Ruth

S/C/G: 98.0/95.5/69.0

Height: 173cm

Well done on starting! Can I make a few suggestions?

On the sucking wind thing, if this is happening, slow down. I know you feel like you're going as slowly as possible, but it's always possible to slow down more. When I started I think I was possibly jogging slower than I was walking!

Don't get over-excited. The program has a great reputation because it works. As written. Make sure you have your rest days even if you feel like you could do more. I know a few people who've got injured doing this program, but they've always (without exception) been trying to do too much too soon.

Keep moving. If you can do the last day, you can do the next day. Lots of people have repeated days and weeks because they don't feel confident about moving up to the next level. My thought on this is, give it a go. If you honestly can't do it you can move backwards for a week. But you'll more than likely surprise yourself.

Related to the above, it's not meant to be easy. It's meant to stretch and challenge you. If you aren't constantly working outside your comfort zone, you won't improve. You may not be able to run 5k by the end, but you'll be able to run for 30 minutes continuously. And that's more than most people in the community.

And you're right, you ARE a runner! It's a great feeling isn't it? With that attitude, you'll be running 5ks in no time at all.
Primm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:22 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 252/210/145

Height: 5' 4"

Count me in. I've been riding my bike on the trainer in the basement, but that won't get me to onederland by the end of the month. The only way to get there by then is to interval - so it might as well be on the c25k format.

Not to be a total dipstick, but can I download the tunes onto an mp3 player that isn't an ipod? DH always does that stuff but I'd kind of like to get through the program "undercover". He's such a runner and he would get an absolute kick out of me being able to run a 5k with him without realizing I'd trained to get there. Corny, I know, but we have a good time suprising each other with oddness!
traci in training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:23 PM   #11  

I just finished mine as well! How exciting is this?!

I have to say that I am so stoked about this after being able to complete it. I am a MAJOR time watcher, so the intervals are fantastic! Just when I think I can't run for another second, I don't have to! Haha. 40 seconds seemed to be the time that I always caught the clock on, which wasn't too bad considering I could tell myself to knock off my crap and keep running for twenty more seconds.

I too am a SLOW runner, so I'm right there with you. I've always hated running, like I said, but I feel like if there is any way to get a person going with running, this is definitely it.

I've always been jeeved about running outside. I get that paranoid feeling. I was also not looking forward to running in the rain tonight, as it's been on and off all day and right before I went running it had been raining. BUT! The rain completely stopped for the entire time I was running. Talk about some divine intervention. I feel like someone other than myself thought I needed to get off my butt. LOL. Not only that, but I had to run at night and that completely solved my "people are watching me" paranoia.

I guess running isn't so bad after all. :]

And YES! We are now runners! What an amazing feeling!
Old 03-12-2010, 09:49 PM   #12  
I'm melting.....

S/C/G: 212/194.3/140

Height: 5'2"

Okay - I can't join in immediately since my kids are on spring break and DFS is of the opinion that I'm responsible for them, but once they're back in school, I'm out there! If I can get my foot to cooperate, then I'm going to be a runner.
kuchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:18 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

I am currently on W6D1 although unfortunately I pulled a muscle yesterday during my personal training session so I may have to take a few days off.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:28 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Height: 5'6"

I did the C25K program last summer and loved it. I ran my first 5K in November and finished in 35 minutes. Unfortunately, my entire plan unraveled over the holidays so here I am 3 months later trying to get back into things. I am not doing the C25K program this time, just going as far as I can, then taking a quick walk break. I really like the C25K program though. When you start getting into the longer running stints, don't overthink them. I would go out thinking there was no way I could ever run 8-, 10- 20- minute stints, but once I was out there and moving, there was no way I was not going to run the full time. I did repeat 2 different weeks in the middle, I got busy so didn't get all my runs in for the week and just simply was not ready to move on. There is no shame in repeating weeks. I think it's better to repeat a week here and there than it would be to over do it and get burned out. Good luck to everyone starting out and Beachbreeze, I may see you at the race in May.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:40 PM   #15  
Have faith...

S/C/G: 325/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

I just started C25K last week. I'd love to join you! I feel like a superstar actually running, but I agree with Primm. I could probably walk faster than I am currently running. But who cares! It's still running!

I downloaded podcasts from runningintoshape.com and I love the music that they used. It makes the 30 minutes go by fast.

Joni
Crushed is offline   Reply With Quote