Old 03-07-2010, 09:38 AM   #1  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Smile #229 Bale of Turtles Looking Forward to Spring!

We are the Turtle Group here at www.3fatchicks.com. We welcome you to join us as we work toward good health and fitness in a persistent manner. As our inspiration, we use the race between the turtle and the hare where the turtle was the victor because he didn't give up. We believe in keepin' on by using the skills and techniques we have learned from experience to keep us on track. We believe in giving each other support. Good luck to us all!
Judy
Itryharder
(for Lin and Lauren)
Itryharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:41 AM   #2  
Chick

Hi Turtles,
Today is a warm and bright and sunny day here in NY. I've had a tough pity-filled week. That dopey gain of .2# enabled me to go right ahead and gain 4#. Ugh. I am promising myself that today will be a good day. I need to slow down the carbs and beef up the lean protein. When I do that and increase the veggies and fruit, I should be able to shake some of this weight. Wish me luck!

Have a great Sunday and post when you can.
Judy
234.6/192.4/189 and closer to goal weight
Old 03-07-2010, 01:23 PM   #3  
Chick

I just read an interesting article in a weekly ladies magazine about fitness and not "dieting." They suggest choosing three things that aren't hard for you to do and do them weekly. Next week, drop those (or keep them) and add a couple more. Change things up. Here are some suggestions and I hope someone finds them helpful. I'm going to try a couple myself.
Smaller plates, more veggies, colorful foods, time carbs for morning---not evening, stay well hydrated, fill up in the morning, eat protein every 4 hours, watch out for hydrogenated oil, high-fructose corn syrup and trans fats, stir in flavor boosters like turmeric, ginger, curry, chili, and cayenn, trade mayo for yogurt, focus on your positives, get more sleep, nix "there's no time" thinking, tell yourself "just two more pounds",pinpoint your "why" you want to lose weight, attack household chores with vigor, practice a little self-compassion, please, outsmart portion distortion, track your snacks, enjoy some healthy competition.
Hey, I don't think you'll like all of these, but hopefully something will spark a reason to track and concentrate on the task at hand and we'll all be thinner and more fit by July 1!!!!!!

here's to the turtles. we're great!
Judy
234.6/192.4/189 and thinner
Old 03-08-2010, 11:11 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Happy Monday to all you turtles:

It sounds like we are all struggling one way of another. Maybe we need to set some goals for this week to get us all back on track & drop these pounds once & for all.

This week I am going to: get back to my walking/swimming, stay within my daily points & cook a point-friendly recipe that I love!
That would be veggie pie - haven't made that in awhile & it goes with any kind of meat.

I really feel for all you turtles that are finding this journey difficult - it really does get you down some days.a

But this is a new week so lets get down to it. We know how much better we feel when we lose at the scales, get in our exercise & plan our meals properly.
So, lets all have a great week!
bandit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:55 PM   #5  
Chick

Hi TUrtles,
Bandit you're our cheerleader this week! Thanks! I needed that!
Yesterday and today the points were much better. I got on the and will skip today. I'm just feeling so tired. I think I've been eating too many carbs.

Good to see your post! Have a great week! You've got it planned out for the most success. Love that veggie pie.

I bought some fresh asparagus and can't wait to have some for dinner along with a small burger and a small sweet potato. Sounds good. Popcorn for a later night snack will work and I'll be sailing homefree.
Judy
Old 03-09-2010, 11:29 AM   #6  

Hi Judy - I made some sweet potatoe friends last night with my chicken, so good! Am making my veggie pie tonight, always such a good thing to go with everything.

Got in a walk last night (20 laps - since my knee is still sore) and had sauna for a change, then hot-tub & swim. I know this isn't good for you, but I went and signed up for some tanning sessions & did 5 minutes after my swim. Felt so good, my body needs some sun/warmth on it. Even though we have had a mild winter, seems like forever since I have been in the sunshine.
I usually go on a winter trip, but it didn't happen this year - so am missing the sun.

Hope everyone is having a better week than last one.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:30 AM   #7  

OK - need to check my typing. I meant to say "fries"
Old 03-09-2010, 05:51 PM   #8  
Chick

Hi Turtles,
Bandit, and for the exercise and hot tub. Sounds yummy--so do your sweet potato fries!

I'm making black bean burgers for dinner tonight. I've done well today and had a huge salad for lunch which is staving off some hunger. That was a good thing to do!

WI tomorrow and I'm hoping for a decent :
Judy
234.6/192.4/189 and closer to goal
Old 03-10-2010, 12:39 PM   #9  
Chick

Hi TUrtles,
After a very emotional week where I had a meltdown last Wed. WI because I was up .2# instead of down 1#, and the overeating I allowed myself to do and the pity I poured on myself, I had a great WI today.
I weighed in at 191.8# which is my absolute lowest weight in ten years. I am so happy that I have learned some things. One of the things I learned is that it's always time to track and put the good skills I've learned back into practice. The "overeating" I did was easily accounted for within my 35 extra points and it all worked out great.

I'm sending : to all of us because I can tell from the posts that we're having tough times. Here's and and to all of us since we know what to do and we can and will keep on keepin' on!
I, for one, can't wait to break 190# on the WW scale. :

Love you all,
Judy
234.6/191.8/189 and closer to goal
Old 03-11-2010, 09:21 AM   #10  

Judy - congratulations! Wonderful news - I am sooooooooo proud of you.
Goes to show that sticking at this & doing your best really pays off.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:15 PM   #11  
Chick

Thank you Bandit. It's good to hear from you and the Turtles.
Love,
Judy
Old 03-12-2010, 11:36 AM   #12  
Turtle Buddy

Hi,

So, I didn't make my goal of posting at least every other day. I'm sorry to have raised all your hopes for erudite wisdom from me. OTOH, I lost 2 pounds and am very happy about that. It's keeping me more or less on an even keel, which is good for this month since work is so super swamped right now.

Bandit, it's always great to read your encouraging posts. It sounds like you're doing well. I'm looking forward to more from you later.

Judy-next time you're up a bit, instead of down, please do the math before you have the meltdown--or as a way to stop the meltdown from causing further damage. .2 pounds is 3.2 ounces. That's probably due to natural weight fluctuation. It's disappointing not to lose, but don't let those tiny gains that aren't really gains get out of proportion in your head. If you can keep it in perspective, you'll be more likely to do what you need to do to turn that maintain, which is what it really is, into a loss at your next weighin. Didn't mean to lecture, but this is a pattern you seem to get into and it's not helping your cause, as it were. And KUDOS for turning it around this time into a great loss!

I, too, had a tough week re: tracking points. I've been trying to be very aware of my eating pattern, but haven't been tracking as carefully. I expect that if I let that continue, I won't continue to turn the gaining I was doing into losing. I also need to work harder at making time to do some exercising when I work from home. I have to work from home some days in order to get food cooked for my mom. Anyway, this week tracking will be a higher priority, along with exercise and planning my menus better.

The one habit I'd started, but have fallen out of doing is not finishing everything if I get full. I have a real issue with not cleaning my plate. And I feel like I "should" eat the points. And I have trouble deciding how many points I "actually ate" if I leave food on my plate. Don't want to cheat myself out of food, doncha know? So, that's something else I have to work on, especially if I get stuck in a situation where I'm eating in a restaurant that's fast, but the food isn't particularly satisfying. I tend to overeat in those situations, looking for the satisfaction I get from really good ingredients, prepared well.

Tomorrow we have Tables for Eight and I just estimate points. I'm bringing dessert because I wasn't interested in making a salad and someone else already picked appetizers. Sunday we're going to treat ourselves to brunch at a favorite restaurant and then later, meeting our children at another restaurant to celebrate my ddil's birthday. So, challenging weekend, but I know I can handle it if I rely on the things I've learned the weeks I've done really well.

I hope to check in more often this week. And I hope the rest of you will keep posting. It really helps. I do read your posts, even if I don't always have time to post myself.

Keep on turtlin'!
Lin S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:02 PM   #13  
Chick

Lin, so good to hear from you! Great input!
in advance for planning to do the right thing this weekend. I know you can do it.
Today I'm planning on eating some extra points out of my 35point allowance and I've already gotten on the and I boosted my hand held weights from 3# to 5#. Oh----I can feel the difference. LOL.
Saw my friend for lunch---had BLT on roll, hold the mayo----I checked out the amount of bacon----not much, but I still knocked off some pieces and it still tasted good. Got home and dh wanted pizza, so we had a very early dinner. I'll be hanging out with eggwhites later tonight and maybe some popcorn. Hey, I counted out almonds and the size I buy turns out to be 1point for 8 almonds. I think that's a pretty good and healthy food use of points.

We're having a St. Patty's Day party tomorrow. I'm cooking and there will be about 16 of us. It should be a lot of fun. Take it easy and have a great weekend.
Lauren, how are you? Princess, are you about? Cherry, how are you and your little family?
Love,
Judy
Old 03-12-2010, 05:44 PM   #14  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Argh! Sorry; it has been a while, hasn't it?

As you might expect, I'm not doing very well. I have good days and not-so-good days with my eating, and I know the latter are caused by stresses. Pop's health isn't doing well, and both he and Mom are struggling with finding their way around a new place, not knowing anybody and not having the strength to get out and meet people, etc. They know us, of course, and we get over at least once a week, but it's hard. And we got some bad news about Pop's health this past week. AND there are some financial issues.

None of this, however, can be solved by food! That's what I'm telling myself, and sometimes it works. I'm not eating 1/2 of what I want to eat, but it's still more than I should.

Funny, but I always seem to find this time of year difficult on many levels. So does DH; he's always harder to live with in March/April. Something about the change in seasons, I guess, though we're both thrilled to finally see the last of the snow melt! I shouldn't say "the last of," since I'm sure we'll have more. But for now, we're really enjoying temps in the 50s. And I've been hearing robins, too.

Judy, I am SO FREAKIN' PROUD OF YOU!! You didn't let that "gain" of 3 ounces (*snort* -- aren't numbers funny?) and the subsequent meltdown derail you. You turned it right back around, and look what happened! VIRGIN FAT TERRITORY! Yeah! I'm happy-dancing for you here.

Bandit, the sauna sounds great -- I'd skip the exercise and go straight for that. Spot why I have a weight problem. About the tanning beds -- well, DH used to use them occasionally, too, and guess what? He had a cancerous mole removed from his back last year. I know how hard it is this time of year when we're dying to get some sun; maybe next time wear sun block? That way you get all the light and heat with none of the consequences.

Lin, glad you've turned around your gain and are making a plan for this weekend. You're a trooper. I so relate to your comment about not wanting to cheat yourself out of any food. I get like that when I lose sight of the positives of my goal and focus instead on what can I get away with eating. Like where I am now, in fact!

OK, this weekend, I'm going to exercise at least once. And I'm going to eat what I've planned. And I'm going to focus on the positive aspects of my goal, picture myself thinner, etc.

Have a great weekend, everyone -- and HAPPY DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME!
LaurenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:45 AM   #15  
Chick

Oh Lin, good for you for such a great weight loss! : and and and and and !!!!
Judy