Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 02-28-2009, 02:48 PM   #1  
Starting Over...

S/C/G: 256/ticker/156

Height: 5' 9"

Default Phentermine vs. Meridia

I went to my dr last week to get a prescription for phentermine. She wasn't very happy about that and suggested Meridia. Well, I've heard Meridia is worse than phentermine and it is more expensive...by a lot. Which is better? Is there something else I can get prescribed? The reason I wanted phentermine is because I really need more energy and I need an appetite suppressant. Please help!
aangel22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:14 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Well did you ask her about why she recommended Meridia over Phentermine? They are both prescription medications and sometimes people aren't good candidates for one prescription drug over another.

Last edited by nelie; 02-28-2009 at 10:16 PM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:58 PM   #3  

Default Tried both Meridia and Phentermine

I have tried both Meridia and Phentermine. Meridia made me angry and testy and did not suppress my appetite. Phentermine worked like a charm for me when combined with the now banned fenfluramine. It did not work at all when taken alone.

My advice - give them both a try and see if they work. You will know fairly quickly.

Last edited by Dobe; 02-28-2009 at 07:58 PM.
Dobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:50 PM   #4  

When you find out what the difference is between the both could you let me know. I have been taking meridia for the past month and so far I have lost 13lbs. I have noticed that sometimes I do feel a little more angry than usual but that also could be from all of the stress in my life at the moment. I do have a Doctor's appointment next week so I will ask what the difference is between the two medications.

Take care
timetoshrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:19 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 211/200/140

Height: 5'4"

Default Meridia bs Phentermine

Good Morning, I just wanted to add my two cents to your discussion. I've taken both Meridia and Phentermine. The Meridia is definitely more expensive and for me personally it didn't work as well. I was one of the few people that had a reverse reaction to it, it actually made me more hungry that I normally was. The Phentermine was great! I had to slowly increase the dose that I was taking because on the first day of taking it, I took the prescribed dose and had horrible shakes and a nasty headache. It was easily fixed by just taking it once a day and then over the next week playing with the dose. I made it through most days just taking it once in the morning. The stuff was great for making you not hungry at all (that's why I mostly took it once a day - when I took it more, I couldn't eat at all). It also helped with the energy boost and of course, the weight loss. I actually wish I could get another RX for it but I'm not longer seeing the same Dr. I'm about to start a 21 day cleanse from Standard Process. Good Luck on whatever one you decide to use.
cjdeluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:25 PM   #6  

My Dr. prescribed phentermine 37.5 mg about 2 weeks ago and I've lost 11 pounds. He wanted me to take a whole pill per day. However, my body is sensitive to meds so I only take a half a pill a day and it lasts me all day long. I haven't had any side effects other than staying up later than normal, but I have found that the earlier in the morning I take the pill, the earlier I'll go to bed at night. Good luck!
shagginabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:00 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

I too have been on both over the years. Phentermine worked but change of circumstances required me to stop taking it. Meridia did not work for me at all, was on the smallest dose of it, but couldn't justify paying for it for another month (at a higher dose). That being said my mom lost 70 pounds on Meridia over the course of a year. She's still on it, but hasn't lost more, is just maintaining.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:43 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 144/122.5/117

Height: 5'1"

I took phentermine over six years ago and it worked wonderfully for me.

In the past year and half, I've gained quite a bit of weight. We moved from Hawaii to Indiana and we just don't get the same exercise as we use to. Boy do I hope we can get back to Hawaii when it's time to leave Indiana!

I recently found a weight doctor who prescribed me phentermine again.
I ended up having to quit it due to heart palpitations. They were very scary and even lasted over 7 days after I quit the phentermine. I'm so surprised at my reaction to the med, because when I took them before, I had no problems at all.

I just recently went back to the weight doctor and he put down in my records that I have an "allergy" to the phentermine now and I can never ever take them again.
He ended up telling me to try another med called Tenuate. I'm going to give it a try and really, really hope it helps.
remee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 12:26 PM   #9  
Mustbdelirious

S/C/G: 210/210/150

Height: 5'3

I also have taken phentermine, and it works great! i have stopped due to not been able to go to the Dr. But, i have gone again and i'm on them and i will begin my weight challenge once again and this time i will stick to it!
Mustbdelirious is offline   Reply With Quote