Old 01-31-2010, 06:18 AM   #1  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

I will answer my own post, since you sleepyheads are all still in bed.

This morning our church, Sunday School, and AWANA got cancelled and the roads were too bad to drive on so we were stuck inside. I decided to do a nice brunch for the family since we hardly ever get to sit and eat breakfast together. I make the kids a hot breakfast before school but Tom is usually gone to work, Connor eats first because he has to be at school earlier than the girls, and I wait until after I work out. So here was a perfect chance to sit down for a nice breakfast together. I made a spinach and mushroom frittata, cut up some grapefruit, and modified the mock cornbread recipe to be like a coffee cake. Everybody liked it, and all but one tiny piece was gobbled up! Here's what I did, in case anyone else wants to try:

1 can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
4 eggs
1 t baking powder
1 t salt
1 T cinnamon (could have used more even)
sprinkle of cloves
1/4 c agave nectar
1/4 c milled flax seed
2 T canola oil
a handful of raisins

I cooked it at 200*C (400*F) for 30 minutes.
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:19 AM   #2  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Default Mock snack cake

Please add your favorite variations! this is a very flexible recipe. It can also be P1 if you want to experiment with P1 sweeteners instead of the agave.

PB Chocolate Snack Cake (similar to mayonnaise cake)

1 can rinsed & drained white beans (navy, great northern, etc)
4 eggs
2T - 1/4c nut butter
1/2 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
1/2 c agave
1t vanilla
1t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
dash salt

Mix in blender and pour into sprayed 9X9 pan. Bake at 350 for 20 - 30 minutes, until toothpick comes out dry. (anyone have a more precise recommendation on baking time?)
This is even better the next day though irresistible when it comes out of the oven
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:26 AM   #3  
Working on healthy

and a moister, fruit version

1 can rinsed & drained white beans (navy, great northern, etc)
4 eggs
2T oil or pureed fruit
1/3 c agave
1t vanilla or other extract (I like almond or orange)
1t baking powder
dash salt
1+ cups fresh or frozen fruit

same directions as above though takes a lot longer to bake. So far I've tried blueberries, blueberries & cranberries, peaches & blueberries (yes, I have a lot of blueberries in my freezer) and diced apples. This version is very moist and dense, almost like a bread pudding. You can also sprinkle yummy toppings like crushed nuts and cinnamon on top.

Last edited by CyndiM; 03-25-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:24 PM   #4  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Cyn Could I use NSA Cocoa?
I just don't have cocoa powder and this sound yummtastic
(not that I need more snacks!
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:24 PM   #5  
Working on healthy

Kierie - this recipe is constantly in flux so go for it Of course you have to share if you come up with a good variation!
Old 03-11-2010, 04:00 PM   #6  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

This is what I'm probably going to try although not tonight as soda bread and guinness bread are on the agenda
2 tbsp natural PB
1/2 cup Swiss Miss (NSA)
debating adding splenda
2 tbsp SF Strawb Jam
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:08 AM   #7  
South Beacher

S/C/G: 230/211/175

Height: 5'7

I made this. It took FOREVER to cook!! It was ok, but not great. I placed a layer of peaches in the bottom of the pan sprinkle with cinnamon and followed the above recipe that Cyndi posted. Next time I think I will cook the peaches first with a cinnamon. I also think I will add some of the sf caremel syrup(like tooranis).

I think it needed to cook a bit more. It was kinda mushy! I think the problem was my peaches were frozen so that added more water. If I cook the peaches first then all the water would be out. I think this will help.

I will try blueberries next time too.

Tammie
tammies00 is offline   Reply With Quote