Old 03-02-2010, 10:23 AM   #1  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

Question Hunger and Sleep

Last night as I was laying in bed almost asleep, I started thinking about the relationship between hunger cues and sleep cues. They are both natural responses our body gives out when it needs something. And they are both responses that we regularly ignore.

If I get sleepy at work, as much as I want to, I won't put my head down and take a nap. Same thing for just about any other activity during the day. It seems ridiculous to think of doing that. I do a pretty good job of sleeping 8 hours at night pretty regularly from 11pm to 7am. I really like sleeping, but I rarely indulge. A nap is an amazing weekend luxury.

When I get hungry at a non-meal time, I become obsessed with eating to make sure that I don't make a poor food choice later. I will stop all kinds of things to eat regardless of what time it is. I do a pretty good job of eating healthy foods and staying within my calorie budget. As I get further into this journey, I indulge in heavy foods very rarely. About as often as that afternoon nap.

I'm not sure I have a point here. I just really am trying to wrap my head around the concept of hunger. For so many years, hunger was something that was irrelevant to eating just as feeling sleepy was irrelevant to when I slept. I like the habits I have of eating when I am hungry; and I really do think it helps me avoid the evil gremlin thoughts that come out when I am overly hungry. I just don't know if I am taking the best approach on this. Thoughts??
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:45 AM   #2  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Hunger is so fickle for me. Sometimes I think I'm hungry when I'm actually just bored. Sometimes I don't feel hungry at all because I'm too busy to eat, and then with the first bite I become ravenous. So I just don't allow it to dictate anything at all. I eat around the clock every 2.5 hours, the same calories. It's a major priority in my day.

I listen to my need for sleep when I can. Like you said, I can't just lay my head down at work, but boy wouldn't I love to!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:05 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 268/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

I think sometimes we think we are hungry when we really aren't, too. I've learned a few tricks to see if I'm "really" hungry. I'll drink a full glass of water, call a friend, find something at work to do within "x" amount of time, go for a walk, etc... If I am still hungry 15 mins later, then it's truly hunger for me. I've also found that if I stick to regular eating schedule of 3 meals and one snack a day, usually at the same time and all within 3-4 hours of each other, and I drink around half my body weight in water daily, then it's rare that I get hungry when it's not time to eat.
S.A.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:16 AM   #4  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBreeze2010 View Post
I just really am trying to wrap my head around the concept of hunger. For so many years, hunger was something that was irrelevant to eating just as feeling sleepy was irrelevant to when I slept. I like the habits I have of eating when I am hungry; and I really do think it helps me avoid the evil gremlin thoughts that come out when I am overly hungry. I just don't know if I am taking the best approach on this. Thoughts??
From my perspective, this is absolutely the right way to go. When I get busy with something , I tend to become entranced and forget, or put off eating. This invites the "gremlins" over for a snack later. I am going into a very busy time now, so I know that if I don't get a handle on this, it could be bad. I am teaching myself to just say STOP and take a self-care break. I think what we are talking about here is NOT IGNORING YOUR NEEDS...because unsatisfied needs morph into....what was that term.... Me Wanties.
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:20 AM   #5  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

Whew, this is a DEEP subject for Friday! My brain is fried BUT for me I think it is about learning to take care of myself and being loving and gentle with myself.

Like Elaina, I eat on a schedule, but every two hours. For most of my life I ate whatever and whenever and feeling hungry hardly ever happened and if it did I was SCARED I would get sick or faint or blow-up! Hungry was a place I didn't like to go (for whatever reason). Now sometimes I do get hungry but I am learning to trust I will be okay and I know I will eat soon. Part of me wants to say...being hungry is my friend...BUT HOLY COW...NOT TODAY! Maybe more of an acquaintance than an enemy

Sleep...I have learned to be respectful of sleep too. I need to go to bed and I need my sleep...8 hours or more. That is part of taking care of myself.

Boy I feel like I am babbling...thanks for listening!!
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote