Old 03-04-2010, 08:10 AM   #1  
Ahhhhh

S/C/G: 222/151/145

Height: 5'5"

Default The "Me Wanties"

So I went off plan yesterday because I was starving. I added a cup of low fat yogurt and a plate of broccoli with light vinaigrette dressing. It totaled about 200 calories and I was still low enough to maintain for that day. The problem: I now think "I want that" every time I see food! I think a little devil in my brain thinks that going off plan once means it can convince me to do it again.

So, Do you ever get the "me wanties"? If you do what do you do to keep yourself on plan?
BigFatMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:18 AM   #2  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

I don't have enough info to really advise you, but I find that elliminating the high glycemic carbs for a while gets the cravings under control.
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:39 AM   #3  
Ahhhhh

Thanks Marigrace. I am definitely NOT going to give up and start going off plan. I'm just shocked at how easily that feeling that I want to eat more returned!
Old 03-04-2010, 08:44 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

I don't know how low your plan is, but if you get hungry a lot, your calorie target may be a little too low perhaps? But the good part is that you still made GREAT food choices, even if above your target. Those were healthy, nutritious foods, not junk.

I do this too - I'm not going to be hungry and risk making poor choices, but I know that if I don't want a piece of fruit or some extra veggies or something else healthy, than I'm not really hungry and I'm looking to eat for other reasons, so I try to address those instead of mindlessly eating some junk.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:53 AM   #5  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

It looks like you've lost 52 pounds? Wow! Good for you! Sounds like you are not new to this. So I agree that maybe you're eating in a way that makes you crave things. I like to pair every carb I eat with a protein. I do have cravings on occasion, but they're few and far between. Usually it's chocolate.

Now, prior to my diet change, heck yah, I had the "me wanties" all the time! (Love that phrase by the way!)
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:57 AM   #6  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

I hear what you are saying...I think the food sometimes talks to me...almost like what we do with animals...here Cathy...here Cathy...a little treat for you... be a good girl...

Yesterday I ate a piece of "institutional cheese pizza" It was fine calorie wise and it was fine for the time of day... BUT ... I ate it because I didn't PLAN WELL and it actually gave me a stomach ache...I have been eating mostly whole or clean foods. And I ate it in a "looking for food-compulsive way"

I like the "me wanties" title...that is a GREAT way to say it!
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:25 AM   #7  
Ahhhhh

PeanutsMom - My calorie range is 1,000 to 1,200 per day. It was set by the nutritionist provided by our insurance companies Family Wellness Plan. I may try increasing the calories per day because I have been getting too hungry lately.

Elaina - Thanks. I do sometimes have carbs by themselves and I think it is less satisfying. I will try pairing them with something. I have switched to whole grain complex carbs and it has helped a lot.

RockinRobin - Awesome insight! I do make mature, rational decisions daily. I don't even consider spending money just because I see something I want why should I consider eating something just because I see it and want it!

Cathy - Hope you feel better. On the positive side you've changed your diet enough that your stomach prefers healthy food to cheese pizza!
Old 03-04-2010, 10:27 AM   #8  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathydoe View Post
I hear what you are saying...I think the food sometimes talks to me...almost like what we do with animals...here Cathy...here Cathy...a little treat for you... be a good girl...

Yesterday I ate a piece of "institutional cheese pizza" It was fine calorie wise and it was fine for the time of day... BUT ... I ate it because I didn't PLAN WELL and it actually gave me a stomach ache...I have been eating mostly whole or clean foods. And I ate it in a "looking for food-compulsive way"

I like the "me wanties" title...that is a GREAT way to say it!
I love the "me wanties" too! The other night, DH "baked" an overly processed apple pie. Now apple pie is not really my thing, but I did have a piece, and then a second, because the crust was so good. The next morning I woke up with a headache and my morning bike ride sucked. I think it was all of the preservatives and sugar, something I'm not used too.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:42 AM   #9  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

I just had to post on this one. The "me wanties"!? That's exactly what it is. I've found that sometimes when I change up my exercise or add something else to my exercise routine, I go through a time when everything looks good and I'm hungry all the time. I don't give in (most of the time) and then it gets back under control.

I also have the me wanties when I'm at my Mom's house and her incredible cooking. It's probably a good thing that I'm only there a couple of times per year.

Thanks for the terminology. I absolutely love that!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:53 AM   #10  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

ha! I like to think I'm the queen of me wanties LOL I've been at this successfully for over 2 years and they STILL yell at me now and again. But like Robin said, I may have a spoiled child in me, but that doesn't mean I have to pay attention to the little brat hahaha. I tend to get this FLASH of "omg a dairy queen blizzard would be awesome right now" and i calm myself down, go do some housework for 10 - 15 mins, or eat a piece of gum, etc. and it passes!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:05 AM   #11  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

I agree with ya - I guess the positive side that the choices you made for that were better than what you might have had in the past. Usually I can trick myself into not doing it because I WANT it lol but it doesn't always work.
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:22 PM   #12  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathydoe View Post

Yesterday I ate a piece of "institutional cheese pizza"
That's funny... I thought I was the only one who says things like that.
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:24 PM   #13  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

Congrats on going off plan with yogurt and broccoli instead of junk food.

I do the pairing that Eliana mentioned. I am doing calorie counting, but I am doing it IR diet style. I never eat carbs (even low GI carbs) alone. I eat at least 7g of protein for every 15g of carb. I do eat protein without carb, just not the other way around. Though most veggies don't count.

I still get cravings sometimes, but not often. When it happens if it is a healthy thing I am wanting, but just not in my plan for the day and I can't reasonably alter my plan then I promise myself I can have it the next day. If I am wanting something not so healthy then I promise myself I will research healthy options. That generally shuts the cravings up. The key to success with that is to not break my promises to myself.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:46 PM   #14  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

You know, I'm not sure I view that as going off plan at all. I sort of view that as "contingency planning." To me, going off plan means making poor choices that I regret.

I didn't detect any regret from the OP, though, so that is sort of an aside. As for the "me wanties", I don't get them much any more, but I DO get them! Aggravating little gremlins that they are, tapping in to my inner brat.
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote