Old 02-24-2010, 05:06 AM   #1  
amazing

S/C/G: 214.5/185.2/115

Height: not quite 5'1"

Default Dog tricks thread!

My dog Loki is a year and 9 months old... and she is my pride and joy! When I am sad, lonely, or need a hug, she's there. (she's the little black puppy in my profile picture, not the Aussie. She was about 2 months old then.)

I like to show her off to people, but most people aren't impressed by just a dog. they're impressed my a dog that does tricks! So once i got her basic obedience down, I've started teaching Loki a lot of tricks. We've never been to obedience school, I did it all on my own.

I taught her to do the Hokie Pokie. Virginia Tech does the Hokie Pokie at every football game, so I thought it would be cute.

She jumps through hula hoops. I can hold a hula hoop up to about 3 and a half to 4 feet off the ground and she'll sail right through. I have 3 of them so she does them in a row.

She also knows "go to the other room" which means that she is to go into the other room and stay, (usually she'll fall asleep on my bed) until I say it's ok.

she knows a bunch of regular tricks, "the keep the treat on the nose until I say OK" trick, and when I so say ok, she has to flip it in the air and catch it.

"crawl" with her belly on the floor
"up" and "off" I laugh when I make her "up" and "off" the couch repeatedly for a little bit, she looks at me like "gosh mama, make up your mind!"
"spin" in a little circle
"roll over"
"play dead" she will also play dead if you point your finger at her like a gun and go "bang" thanks to my neighbor
"sit pretty" with her paws up in the air
"shake" with both paws, she will switch back and forth if you ask her
"high five" which she will also do if I say "Hokie touchdown!"
"kisses" she'll come and lick my cheek
"leave it" "drop it" "get it" even if she has a piece of Filet in her mouth and I say "drop it" she will spit it out (yeah I tested that.) That is something I am proud of.

I also made her a little bi-lingual... Just the basics. She knows Sentate (sit), abajo (down), quedate ahi (stay), and Veni aca (come). oh, and besos (kiss)

right now I'm working on "are you ashamed?" the end result will have her lay down, head on the ground and paw over eyes. I've got everything but the paws over the eyes part down... so far.

It's not Pet Star or anything, but she's still technically a puppy... I'm looking for new cute ideas... what cute or impressive tricks does your dog do?

Last edited by HokieLoki; 02-24-2010 at 05:31 AM. Reason: spelling
HokieLoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:16 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

I've got a rat terrier, Daisy, and she's nearly 2 years old. We did the basic obedience thing. She's INSANELY smart...but also INSANELY stubborn and will only learn tricks when she wants to.

She knows sit, down, up/dance, can shake hands and I taught her to crawl in about 5 minutes using leftover bacon from breakfast one day. It's cute...she just pulls with her front legs and drags her back legs out behind her.

I REALLY want to teach her to roll over...how'd you teach your dog? Daisy hates being on her back, so I don't know if I'll ever get it done...
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:09 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 277/210/175

Height: 6'0

I've tried and tried to teach my pomeranian to roll over, but he's having none of it. He knows all the basic commands - sit, stay, come, drop it and does some fun ones, shake, high-five, dance. I love to teach him things but we end up doing more playing than learning most of the time. :P
SalaamDementia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:01 PM   #4  
CanadianVeggie

S/C/G: 207.7/207.7/150

Height: 5'6"

awww that is super cute Hokie

I have an almost 2 year old Aussie and she can do several things and no obdience training for her either I am looking to teach her another trick but not sure what yet ... any suggestions??

This is what she knows so far.

Sit
Drop (which means lay down)
Leave It (she won't pick something up even if it is dropped right in front of her)
Give (she'll give me whatever she's holding in her mouth)
Where's your father?? ( this is my fave one! She knows to go find my fiance when I say that, she'll run over to him touch her nose to his leg and then come running back, it is super cute )
Water ( she'll go to her water bowl take a quick drink then come right back)
Beg (sit on her butt with her paws in the air)
Roll over
High Five (paw in the air)
Shake (paw in my hand)
Back (she'll walk backwards - well it's kinda more like bunny hopping backwards)
Under (she'll walk underneath your legs)
Bed (she'll go lay/sit on her bed in the family room)
Bedtime (she'll go to her crate)
Up (she'll get up, either to stand or sit from a lying position)
Crawl (with her belly on the floor)
Spin (turn around in a circle)
Bow (front legs flat on the ground, butt in the air)

They're so much fun to teach

Last edited by L R K; 02-25-2010 at 10:28 AM.
L R K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:59 AM   #5  
amazing

funny, roll over is Loki's least favorite trick. Sometimes instead of rolling over, she will get on her side and then spin around. then she'll look up at me like "did i fool you?"

I taught her by having her "down"
then take a treat and bring it from her nose where she could see it, back behind her head. At first she would get up and turn all the way around but with in a few minutes she would get on her side.
then I would move the treat in an arch, making her roll to her other side.
it was natural for her to get back up after that
this whole time I would be saying "roll over."
There are other methods, if you do a quick internet search I'm sure you could find some. She got it down pat in less than 3 ten minute sessions. I never make a lesson more than 10 minutes, it will wear both of us out.

I forgot, Loki knows "back" too.
and words i don't think of commands, but I guess, if I say "kennel" she'll run to her crate, and if I say "treat" she will run to the drawer where I keep the treats. she also goes nuts if I say "walk"

Lauren, aren't Aussie's great? The white one in my profile pic, Brooks, was such a good girl. She wasn't smart, one of the dumbest dogs I have ever met, but she was sure sweet. Have you done any frisbee training? Brooks loved her frisbees, she would catch them with acrobatic air stunts all day long... but she never got the whole "bring the frisbee back to mommie" part. I tried teaching Loki the frisbee but she would rather chew it into pieces than anything else.

I started to teach Loki "bow" this afternoon.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:05 AM   #6  

I sat with Daisy last night and worked on "roll over." It's going to take some time...she will NOT even go to her side. "Down" she's got perfect...but I guess for her it's giving up control if she lays on her side. It'll take a lot of work...
Old 02-25-2010, 10:27 AM   #7  
CanadianVeggie

Hokie - yes Aussie's are great, super sweet and very loyal. Kammi is super smart, a little too smart at times. She does the same thing as Loki when it comes to "roll over". Sometimes she'll kinda lay down and turn on her back a little if she's being lazy and think that is enough Oh and I forgot to add "bow" to her list of tricks, she can do that one too

Kammi does't know the word "walk" because I don't like how crazy dogs get when they know they are going for a walk. I won't even leave the house until she has calmed down completely. Too much excitement in general is a bad thing for her because of her breed. I don't know if you've ever watched "The Dog Whisperer" but that is how Kammi was raised, with calm-assertiveness.

Kammi doesn't like frisbee's I have tried many times but she still prefers a ball or her soft Kong for play at the park and luckily she will always bring them back for another throw, not much of a toy chewer anymore.

Last edited by L R K; 02-25-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:20 AM   #8  
amazing

yeah, even though she knows the word, Loki can't leave the house until she is completely calm, either. I just think it's hilarious when I say "walk" and she runs over to where the leashes are and back to me, back to the leashes, and so forth until she sits down next to the leashes. I don't do it all the time, I made the mistake of teaching her the word when she was just a little puppy.

I'm a huge fan of Cesar Millan, and I raised her with calm assertiveness also. Her breed has to be properly trained and socialized, and gets a bad rap, even when they are as behaved and trained as Loki. She's an American Pit Bull Terrier.

Mindi, getting on their back is a sign of submission to dogs, and if they are already adverse to it, it will take time. but don't ever force her, because that will cause distrust. you can do it!
Old 02-26-2010, 12:03 PM   #9  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

My young dog also hates to roll over, he has a very dominate personality. He will do it for us though.

A cute trick I've taught mine is "Wipe your face" which means they take their paw and wipe it across the top of their nose. I put a piece of tape on their nose and praised them when they tried to get it off, added a command and that was it, super easy.

Another easy one is "Hide!" where they run behind me and peak out between my legs, my old dog does it really well but the young one just about puts me on my butt every time we do it. I can't remember exactly how I did that one.

My dogs will also weave between my legs while I'm standing still or walking but I can't remember exactly how I trained that either. I think I mostly just led them with treats and slowly put it together for them.

The cutest thing my youngest dog does is chase his tail, he did it so much as a pup we just added the command "Get your tail!". We can make him go either direction, he won't stop until he catches it. Go figure his name is Chase.

I love Pitties too, I hate that there is so much stero typing around the bullie breeds. Hubby and I are considering a Staffie for our next dog but haven't decided yet, that will be a while off. Chase is actually part Bull Terrier and has many of the breeds traits.

Last edited by Aunty Jam; 02-26-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:35 PM   #10  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

I don't know how many times reba and Rylee have had me turn Cesar Millan's Dog Whisperer show off ...

they don't buy into that Pack Leader stuff
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:54 AM   #11  

Well, Daisy is working on rolling over. It's slow going, but she's done a messy sort of turn on the ground sometimes. We're working on it...
Old 03-01-2010, 05:04 PM   #12  
CanadianVeggie

It's such a shame some breeds have such a bad rep. when really the owners are the ones to blame.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:06 PM   #13  
CanadianVeggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
I don't know how many times reba and Rylee have had me turn Cesar Millan's Dog Whisperer show off ...

they don't buy into that Pack Leader stuff
LOL!
Old 03-15-2010, 09:21 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 189/173.5/141

Height: 5'3"

Default Looks like my dog....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunty Jam View Post
My young dog also hates to roll over, he has a very dominate personality. He will do it for us though.

A cute trick I've taught mine is "Wipe your face" which means they take their paw and wipe it across the top of their nose. I put a piece of tape on their nose and praised them when they tried to get it off, added a command and that was it, super easy.

Another easy one is "Hide!" where they run behind me and peak out between my legs, my old dog does it really well but the young one just about puts me on my butt every time we do it. I can't remember exactly how I did that one.

My dogs will also weave between my legs while I'm standing still or walking but I can't remember exactly how I trained that either. I think I mostly just led them with treats and slowly put it together for them.

The cutest thing my youngest dog does is chase his tail, he did it so much as a pup we just added the command "Get your tail!". We can make him go either direction, he won't stop until he catches it. Go figure his name is Chase.

I love Pitties too, I hate that there is so much stero typing around the bullie breeds. Hubby and I are considering a Staffie for our next dog but haven't decided yet, that will be a while off. Chase is actually part Bull Terrier and has many of the breeds traits.
Hi...

What kind of dog do you have as your avatar....I have a shelter dog that looks just like that one, but don't know the breed...
yooperfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:43 PM   #15  
CanadianVeggie

yooperfinn - the 2 dogs in aunty jam's pic are Border Collies I believe.