South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-28-2010, 07:03 AM   #1  
Be happy.

Default Almond Butter and Almond Breeze

I went to a larger grocery store yesterday and they had a 'healthy eating' section. I was able to find so many of the things I see mentioned here but have never been able to find in our local grocery store. It was hard to limit myself to trying just a couple of new things this trip, but the 3 I finally settled on were a loaf of 7 Sprouted Grains bread, a carton of vanilla unsweetened Almond Breeze and a jar of almond butter.

How long will the Almond Breeze last once it's been opened?

What do I do with the almond butter? I see it on daily menus so often that I jumped at it when I saw it, but now..... lol I had a little with a few apple slices last night, but to be honest, I didn't like it as much as PB with apple, so I'm looking for other ideas.

Thanks!
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:24 AM   #2  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Heidi - I've never actually checked a calendar but both almond and hemp milk seem to last a really long time in the fridge.
I use almond butter the same way I use PB. My favorite is cashew butter
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:25 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Heidi, you can use the almond butter the same way you use peanut butter, in the same proportions.

For the almond breeze, you can keep it unopened indefinitely, but once opened, you must keep it refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.

I don't care for almond butter, either, and don't buy it anymore.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:52 AM   #4  
Be happy.

Thank you both!
Old 02-28-2010, 10:17 AM   #5  
South Beacher

S/C/G: 230/211/175

Height: 5'7

almond butter seems sweeter and runnier to me than pb. It is good on toast w/ sugar free jelly. I used to eat this a lot prior to SB. I haven't had it much since then. I have tried almond butter on celery. It is ok. Almond butter doens't look appetizing to me. LOL

Tammie
tammies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:41 AM   #6  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

My favorite way to eat the almond butter is in my oatmeal for breakfast with the unsweetened vanilla almond milk. I keep the almond milk in my fridge and only use about 1/4 to 1/2 cup per day, so I am keeping it about 2 weeks without any problem. I also love the almond butter in ricotta with cocoa powder and splenda (Mocha ricotta creme recipe). I do love the taste of it better than PB or cashew butter, so I even like eating it out of the jar (measured of course).
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:56 PM   #7  
Be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphmitch View Post
My favorite way to eat the almond butter is in my oatmeal for breakfast with the unsweetened vanilla almond milk. I keep the almond milk in my fridge and only use about 1/4 to 1/2 cup per day, so I am keeping it about 2 weeks without any problem. I also love the almond butter in ricotta with cocoa powder and splenda (Mocha ricotta creme recipe). I do love the taste of it better than PB or cashew butter, so I even like eating it out of the jar (measured of course).
To tell you the truth Anne, it was mostly reading your menus and your praise of almond butter that made me want to try it. lol

I'll try it in my oats in the morning. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:24 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Peanut butter is my least favorite nut butter, and I love almond and cashew butter. I think it's just a matter of preference (I like cashews and almonds better than peanuts too).

I tried macademia nut butter once (macadamias are my favorite nut), but I didn't care for it at all (and the price was crazy).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:33 PM   #9  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

My DH likes peanut butter better than almond butter, but I do love almonds way better than peanuts. Cashews are my favorite nut, but I really didn't care for the cashew butter.

The almond butter in my grocer's health food section and at my health food store is way more expensive than the one I get at Trader Joes. I can also get it at the Farmer's Market in the summer time, but TJ's is still cheaper. I only have to stir it once and it stays good after that. The one at the Farmer's Market is ground fresh and never needs stirring at home.

Last edited by murphmitch; 02-28-2010 at 04:36 PM.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:38 PM   #10  
Be happy.

I don't care for ricotta, but I just stirred some almond butter and a little bit of SF Torani chocolate syrup into some plain yogurt. Very yummy.