Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 07:50 AM   #1  

Default #178 Melting Away

Ok since I pulled up #177 to show and it was huge I am starting anewone. I have been doing great this year exercising and with my water.....need to work on food choices though.
Old 01-16-2003, 09:15 AM   #2  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

ditto Kim - I've been doing really good with exercise, shocking, but since we got the treadmill it's been great. Food is terrrible.

I leave on my trip on Saturday - I'm in the wrong frame of mind. I know that I will not be OP during my trip - given. So what can I do? I can try to exercise every day. I know I can do my water, no excuses there. But food? I'm already eating like I'm on vacation - and I haven't left yet!!

Come on gals - I need a pep talk, bad!!!

Dana
Old 01-16-2003, 10:10 AM   #3  
Losin It For GOOD!

Don't go on vacation yet Dana! And there is no reason why you can't get your exercise and water in while you are on vacation. There is also NO reason why you couldn't eat OP while you are on vacation! I know I read you saying that there are foods you can't get here that you can there that you want to eat. Well PLAN for them. Make them a part of your day! Maybe if you figure out the points you will realize that they aren't worth it after all? You are really just setting yourself up to be "horrible" on vacation by saying that you will not be OP on vacation. It's not a given! Trust me. I've been on vacation and stayed OP not eating a home cooked meal ONE TIME.

You can do this - just reset your thinking!

Kim - exercise and water are GREAT! things to be OP with! Way to go! I Can get my food and water on track but I really struggle with exercise, and I think exercise is one of the most important parts! So you are doing great!

I'm feeling good this morning. I slept last night. Deeply and long and it felt SO GOOD. Of course someone told me this morning I look exhausted and I had to laugh because last night was the first good nights sleep I've gotten in a few weeks!

I've gone on Paxil. I'm still having mixed emotions about it, but if its going to help it will be worth it. Took the first one this morning. I hope it doesn't make me too groggy, and I am not allowed to drink alcohol while I take it. I'm not a regular drinker, but lately on the rare occasion I do have a drink, I over do it.. so not being allowed to have them will help.

I'm on my way to a 4 point day, I know I can do it. How about you?
Old 01-16-2003, 10:15 AM   #4  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Beth Anne - what made you decide to go on Paxil.. I've thought about it. Just not sure yet.

4 point day? not me.. I feel like I've already blown it. Grrrr. Thanks for the advice about my trip. Maybe I should plan to have 2 OP meals.. atleast there won't be as much damage. Driving 12 hours with my 3 year old is a bit stressful.
Old 01-16-2003, 10:17 AM   #5  
Losin It For GOOD!

Dana - its early. You have all the time the rest of the day to recover. I believe you CAN have a 4 point day! And yes - shooting for 2 OP meals is SO Much better than saying "I'm going to be off program my whole vacation!" You can do that too!!

I Went on Paxil because I was getting more and more frequent panic attacks along with my depression. My doc decided Paxil was the best choice for my symptoms.
Old 01-16-2003, 10:25 AM   #6  

Beth Anne...

I just loved your *doing it 10% at a time* thing. I just calculated my own 10% theory.. and it works out perfect! Thanks!!!!

Dana...

Where are you going on vacation? I'm heading on a Disney cruise again.. but it's not for some months. I KNOW I'll go OP then. I know it. There's food food food. However.. my plan? (and it may change).. is to not guilt myself over it. I won't go nuts.. but I'll enjoy. Over the years, it's been the guilt and denial that's caused me to LIVE OP. I don't want to do that anymore. I'm trying to find a way to live OP for every day.. and when I don't.. (as in vacations).. not stress. I'll still be living OP for the other approximately 320 days a year. That's gotta matter.

Sandie
Old 01-16-2003, 11:13 AM   #7  

Kim - Don't beat yourself up for not always eating OP, but *congratulate* yourself for doing so well with water & exercise (which, I think are both HUGE components of making a lifestyle change). Work on your eating habits as you can, but don't beat yourself up over it. Take it one meal at a time.

Dana - First of all, have fun on your vacation!!!! Where are you going? I'm so jealous... with school & work, I don't see dh & I going on a vacation for at least another 3 years! About being on/off program while on vacation... do NOT plan now to go off plan!!! I think that is quite possibly the biggest mistake I have personally made since I've started losing weight. Because whenever I plan for those days off, they somehow extend to another & another & another day off. I think the best thing to do (just my opinion) is promise yourself you will make the best choice possible at each meal & focus on keeping within your points range. For instance, if you're on the road & eating at Burger King, instead of ordering the Whopper with cheese, get the jr. chicken Whopper with no cheese or mayo. And get a salad instead of fries. Making just little changes like that can make a BIG difference. If you keep up with exercise & water while your on vacation & try you're best to make the best food choices possible, I can't see you not losing weight. And for the car ride (if you're driving), go to a grocery store ahead of time & but LOTS of healthy snacks, like baked Lays or something, & then measure out serving sizes in plastic baggies. I always find when I'm on the road for an extended time it is waaaaay too easy to go to a gas station & get a snack there. Having your snacks with you that you can eat without guilt may help curtail that. Anyway, I've gone on too long, but my point is enjoy your vacation, but don't use it as an excuse to go off plan. I know you can do this!!!

Beth Anne - I know you said you don't know how to feel about being on Paxil, but I think you should be proud of yourself. I know I am! It is never easy to admit that your struggling with depression & the like. This society still places such a stigma on mental issues. So getting help so you can ENJOY the wonderful life you have is a great thing!

One last thing, Dana, it is NEVER too late to have a good day, imo. Sometimes I screw up on breakfast or something, but that does not give me free reign to screw up the rest of my day. That is a success all on its own!

Things are going okay with me. I'm doing really well with the exercise & finding I am enjoying it more & more every day. I think I am going to begin training to run in the Corporate Cup Run this September. It's a 10K run (6.2 miles) & I'd really like to be able to compete in it. It be something fun to train for & keep me motivated to exercies.

On the job front, I'm applying for a new job within the same company I am working for right now. It would be a lateral move, but would give me a lot more experience & exposure. I'm really hoping it will work out. School is going okay. I'm getting burnt out & just counting down the days! Dh & I are doing good. Dh is back in school & working part time. He seems to be doing really well for the most part, & I, of course, am very proud of the changes he has made & continues to make
Old 01-16-2003, 11:40 AM   #8  
Losin It For GOOD!

I read a huge thing on Oprah's web site (Taken from "Get With the Program") about emotional eating. They tell you to be more careful about planning your eating. I'm trying hard to follow that today and take my eating step by step and it seems to be working so far.

Examples : I packed my "lunch bag" with carefully planned and measured snacks. I brought 32 oz of water in a bottle for car rides, 1 serving of mini pretzels (2 points), an apple (1 point), a fat free granola bar (2 points), my lunch (raviloi and chicken soup, 6 points), a few pickles (no points), a small salad with light dressing and 2 cans of Pepsi One (the second one just in case of a migraine). I had raisin bran for breakfast with milk (oh so filling for 4.5 points) had an apple and some pretzels as a snack (got the fruit in and the munchies squelched). i'm making myself drink my huge (83 oz) bottle of water before I can have any soda. I find I am drinking DIET soda just because I do need some spice in my life. Also, its 11:30 am and I already have 40 oz of water down, half my milk requirement done, my vitamin taken, and I'm on my way to the fruit and veggie requirements! The salad and soup will take care of another 3 veggie servings (salad has 2, soup has 1) and so I'll only have 1 left!

You know this really is a piece of cake if you just put some time and energy into it..
Old 01-16-2003, 12:06 PM   #9  
having Senior Moments

S/C/G: 265/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

So far for 2003, I'm doing very well on my new eating plan (Life Choice, very low fat vegetarian). And the best benefit of this is that my blood sugars have been in normal range since I started it and I have been able to reduce the amt of insulin I was taking by half. And when my blood sugars are normal, I FEEL better. I always drink my water since I started measuring it out first thing in the morning. I still haven't gotten my butt in motion tho, and I don't know why I just can't get moving. I guess I need someone to kick that butt. I do take walks with my granddaughter on the days she is here because she begs to do it (my few and far between 4 pt days), but when she's not around I can't get myself motivated. Any suggestions??

As to traveling OP, I always take food with me. As a long-time vegetarian and diabetic, I sometimes have trouble finding food to fit my eating habits, so I always take cereal, those bean soups you just add hot water to, crackers, soy milk in individual containers, etc. to supplement what I get at restaurants or I can bypass restaurants when I want to. I just put it all in a smallish bag, and by the time I'm ready to come home I have an empty bag to put souveniers in.

About depression meds: don't be wondering if you should be taking them. Depression/anxiety disorder is a DISEASE just like cancer, diabetes etc., not a character disorder. You wouldn't be wondering about taking meds for those conditions, so you shouldn't question taking depressions meds. I say congratulations for being aware enough to ask for help. It's very hard to do that. The times I've been on those meds it was such a relief to be free of the symptoms, I didn't much care what anyone else thought. Just be aware that sometimes some of them don't work for some people, and you may have to try something else before you find something that works for you.

Everyone keep up the good work.
Old 01-16-2003, 12:31 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

i'm backwards -- i've been eating fine, but i am just too busy and then too tired from being too busy to exercise. argh.

i've been on celexa (another depression med) for a little over ayear. i've actually started weening myself off of them (with the doctor's permission, of course) and i am down to 10mg a day. a nutritionist did tell me that it can cause a bit of a weight gain, so we warned. i really think it helped me a lot when i needed it, and being more in control, i am tapering it out of my life gradually. good luck with it!
Old 01-16-2003, 03:02 PM   #11  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Wahoo!

They had a breakfast meeting here yesterday & there was a tray of fruit leftover. I am now digging into a nice bunch of red grapes, fresh pineapple & honeydew. Mmmmmm. This is especially good b/c I need to go to the grocery store tonight for fruit & veg.

Dana: You should plan for your treats. Taking pretzels, carrot sticks & lowfat string cheese in the car sounds like a great idea. Good luck & have fun!!

Kayla: You are absolutely right--"blowing" a meal is no excuse to keep off plan for the rest of the day. The Corporate Cup sounds like a real challenge. I know I could never do that. You go, girl!

BethAnn: I feel the same way--when everything is all planned out, I do fine. And I make sure & have backup in place just in case something goes awry. Today I didn't bring a lunch, but I had a can of soup in my desk, so I had that w/a bag of Healthy Choice popcorn. Then the fruit that they said we could have. Tonight I will have a can of albacore on a bed of spinach w/some mushrooms & then a yogurt before bed. Ta-da! Easy!

Jerie: You prolly have some yummy vegetarian recipes to share.

Holly: I am the same as you--doing good w/eating (most of the time) and just can't seem to move.

I was diagnosed w/polycystic kidney disease this week. This means that my eating habits are more important than ever. The reason I'm on blood pressure meds is most likely due to the kidney disease, not because of the birth control pill I was on (which they promptly took me off of), nor was it *totally* due to my weight. (I am not naive enough to think that being over 200# for the last 13 years had nothing to do w/the blood pressure) I won't know much about it until my test results come back, but my grandmother had a kidney transplant when I was 6 months old, and my father (her son) has this disease as well, as will any children I choose to have.

My car is only going to be about $400 to be fixed, which is much better than the $700 I was picturing. It needs a catalytic converter & some other stuff so it can pass emissions. So there goes my Pilates & yoga classes. My friend & I saw a Pilates tape set @ Sam's, so I think we're going to go halvsies on that.

I'm fitting into 2X's now, but still wary @ throwing out the 3X's. Part of me wants to keep them, "just in case". But another part of me wants more closet space for skinnier clothes!

As for the whole depression/meds thing: you have to do what is right for you. Only you can say what that is.
Old 01-16-2003, 05:48 PM   #12  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Default Pics of me

Okay, so I've been totally unmotivated. Not eating right, keeping the minimum of exercise and water but not nearly as motivated as I need to be.

But, I got a lot of pictures developed yesterday and it's got me muuuuuuchh more motivated. I mean, I am such a cutie, why do I want to stay fat. Next week starts school (half time with my full-time job). Which is a big change over my life now. It also means planning planning planning. So, I'm making soup this weekend for my lunches and I'm buying a PDA to keep track of everything I need to do.

So, was anyone ever curious about what I look like? Here's me on Thanksgiving Day with my favorite dogs in the whole world. The one on the far right is my exercise partner.
Old 01-16-2003, 06:10 PM   #13  

Such a Pretty.... my dh was also diagnosed with polycystic kidney disease and my children will also need to be checked for it. Yes, your eating habits will be more important than ever. he's already been on renal diet for about five months and is on dialysis. I'm meeting tomorrow with nephrologist's P.A. for more info. He's also had high blood pressure for years. How did your grandma do with the transplant? Does your Dad have to follow a strict diet? Dh has lost lots of weight since he's been on renal diet. (Laughingly, I say) he's making it hard for me because my main goal was to weigh less than he does and he keeps losing faster than I do.

Goddess J, looking good to me. Show us another in a few weeks, please.
Old 01-16-2003, 06:23 PM   #14  
Catwoman

Wow Jessica you are too cute! That is such a great picture, dogs are beautiful. Best motivator in the world for walking is a dog.
I've been doing surprisingly well this month, it's gotten so I don't want to mess it up I'm doing so good. I go for a walk almost every morning for an hour an although I still have some trouble with my water, my eating plan has been going very well.
Don't ruin your good work and holiday by going completly Off Plan Dana. Try eating well during the day and relaxing more with the evening meal. Work out a plan before you go. Don't worry about losing but maintaining. As long as you don't gain you can still have fun on your hols and not be worried about having more to lose when you get back.

Kitty
Old 01-16-2003, 06:52 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

i see, you are very cute!! dogs can make great exercise partners, too. they look like nice ones.
Closed Thread