Old 02-27-2010, 07:11 AM   #1  

Default Do you drink protein smoothies/shakes?

Hi,

I just started drinking protein smoothies/shakes 2 weeks ago, Valentines Day to be exact, dh bought me a new blender. They are awesome!! I do not use them as a meal replacement, just after a great workout!

Milkshake I use:
4oz Silk soy milk
4oz juice (apple or acai berry)
1 scoop of EAS 100% vanilla whey protein
2 oz frozen broccoli (or baby spinach leaves)
2 oz frozen strawberries (other times I use pineapples, and peaches)
2 oz frozen blueberries
1/4 cup walnuts

Smoothie I use:
1 cup of juice (apple or 1/2 apple 1/2 acai)
1 scoop of protein
2 oz frozen strawberries
2 oz frozen blueberries
2 oz frozen raspberries

Do you drink them, and if you do, can you please share your recipe/s? Thanks!!

Last edited by JackiG; 02-27-2010 at 07:12 AM.
JackiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:23 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

They both sound really yum! HAve you figured out the calorie counts, I'd be curious.

Though they sound yummy, I'm someone who likes/needs to CHEW her calories. Drinking my calories just doesn't work *for me*. It doesn't provide me with enough satisfaction, though I know it does for many others.

But boy these do sound tempting!!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:33 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

My smoothies are for taste and treat only, and they are very simple but yummy. I use 100% no sugar added fruit juice (I like apple best, will use OJ in winter a lot as it helps keep kids from sickness) and then I add frozen and/or fresh fruits, whatever I have. Then I blend until it's like a smooth slushy treat.

I only count the juice in my calories, as fresh fruits (or frozen with no other added ingredients) are "freebies" on my plan. This has taken the place of cakes, cookies, etc. since it is sweet. My kids love them as well, they love picking their fruit combos.
Purplefirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:46 AM   #4  

4oz Silk soy milk
4oz juice (apple or acai berry)
1 scoop of EAS 100% vanilla whey protein
2 oz frozen broccoli (or baby spinach leaves)
2 oz frozen strawberries (other times I use pineapples, and peaches)
2 oz frozen blueberries
1/4 cup walnuts

477 calories

1 cup of juice (apple or 1/2 apple 1/2 acai)
1 scoop of protein
2 oz frozen strawberries
2 oz frozen blueberries
2 oz frozen raspberries

300 calories

4oz Silk soy milk
4oz Apple juice
1 scoop protein
6 oz berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries)

290 Calories
Old 02-27-2010, 09:19 AM   #5  
Restart Date: 10/25/2009

S/C/G: 215/160/115 HW: 235

Those sound great. I just yesterday bought some whey protien powder - chocolate, but it sounds like I should try vanilla for some of these recipes. What is EAS?
lovemyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:44 AM   #6  

Height: 5'6"

I have a green smoothie every morning. I have to be at work much earlier than I'm actually hungry, so it seems to be doing the trick for me. I make a batch every Sunday for the whole week, divide it out into portions, and freeze it. It thaws while I get ready and drive to work, then it takes me about 2 hours to drink it all. My coworkers were so grossed out for the first week or two, but now they come over to my desk with straws.

Each blender makes 2 smoothies. My current favorite is whole strawberries, blueberries, banana, spinach, and water at ~225 calories. DH's favorite is blueberries, mango, spinach, and water. Oh how I wish I wasn't allergic to mango!
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:06 AM   #7  

I make a smoothies out of yogurt, frozen fruit (berries, banana), milk, and sometimes a handful of frozen spinach. Occasionally, I'll add flax seed, wheat germ, soy milk, or whatever else I have on hand.
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:47 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

I'm like Robin-- I can't replace a meal with a smoothie, so smoothies add too many calories for me...I'd end up eating a meal too. Funny how we're all different.

But they DO sound delicious, and I'm jealous!
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:47 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 236/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

No. My husband has started drinking them because he's REALLY fit (like 6 pack, groin muscle, very hot fit) and needs the extra protein. I just don't work out hard enough to require it, so I don't drink it. I was thinking of drinking them to make myself feel fuller, but the calories are too high; I fare much better eating my piece of toast and PB with a bowl of oatmeal or Fibre One (I believe there were only 2 grams of fibre in a serving of protein shake, as opposed to 86 grams--that's what it feels like some days!--in Fibre One)

If he does a yogurt and fruit smoothie in the blender, I'll take a few sips of it, but they're just really not my thing.
ChrissyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:19 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 270/230/165

Height: 5'9"

I drink a smoothie that I modified out of a South Beach cookbook. It originally had almonds, but I swapped those out for flaxseeds, since I think the latter are healthier.

1/2 Cup Light Vanilla Soy Milk
3 oz. firm tofu
1/3 cup light or fat free plain yogurt
1 Tbsp. flax seeds
1 tsp. agave nectar

It's not super sweet, but it keeps me going all morning long.
jennyplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:01 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyboy View Post
Those sound great. I just yesterday bought some whey protien powder - chocolate, but it sounds like I should try vanilla for some of these recipes. What is EAS?
EAS is the brand.

The amount I use per smoothie is a lot. It almost fills my 16oz cup. You can always cut the recipe in half, for half the calories. It is great for anyone with a sweet tooth. Definitely takes care of my appetite, but as I mentioned I do not take it for a meal replacement. I usually drink them after a long workout. When I want a treat, I will make a fruit smoothie, 1 cup apple juice, 6 oz berries, that is 180 calories, cut it in half for 90 calories. They are awesome! I will definitely check out all of your recipes. Thanks for posting them!
Old 02-27-2010, 04:28 PM   #12  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I don't because they feel like beverages to me, not food, but they pack the same calorie wallop as food. But if it's something you really like and you don't mind giving up chewable stuff for them, then I say go for it!
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:36 PM   #13  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I recently bought some vanilla creme flavored Pure protein brand whey powder when I was at target. I checked out a few smoothie books from the library and started experimenting.

I find them very filling if I use milk or yogurt as the base (with a fruit juice base, I get hungry too soon). I add ice, ground flaxseed, chia seeds or psyllium for fiber/volume so they're more filling. For under 300 calories, I end up with a 24 to 34 ounce smoothie.

I figured I'd use them occasionally, maybe once a week, but I'm finding that I enjoy them for breakfast. I've been looking at Rocket and Bullet blenders, but so far, I've been using my immersion blender and/or food processor.

I usually use my ice shaver to shave the ice, so I don't have to wear out the food processor or blender motor (and because the ice bits are smaller, making for a smoother beverage).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:40 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/120????

Height: 5'2"

The sound really good. I drink medisource shakes. Its a protein drink, because I'm not always in the mood for breakfast. But put them in a blender with some ice and water, add a packet of Truvia and drink for a delicious treat. Total calorie count 100 calories
mrsmoore is offline   Reply With Quote